Heritage Owners Club

Looking for a 535, Is This A Good Deal?

lifeson1

Been gradually gravitating toward 535's after a few disappointing 335 sob stories.  Anyhow, stumbled on one that just popped up used for around $1745 with a non factory pro Bigsby.  I'm seriously considering it, wondering if any of you have any thoughts. . . .  And. . . Happy first post day!   

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 3.25.25 PM.png

23 minutes ago, deytookerjaabs said:

Personally, when folks drill more holes IMO the value goes down for me. I would pass on a non factory Bigsby guitar with extra holes at or above market value of a clean one. That price is top dollar. 

This!

Take your time and you'll find an unmolested 535 at the right price.  They are out there. 

Unless your name is High Flying Bird, you don't need no dang hillbilly crowbar, unless of course you are playing rockabilly!

My 535 has a bigsby on it.  Sometimes, as I have gotten older, the bigsby seems to make the guitar too heavy on the back end.  If you don't need the bigsby look for a guitar that doesn't have one.  I hardly ever use mine.  Mostly it is used only when someone new picks up the guitar for the first time to see if it dive bombs.

• 2 weeks later...

On a personal note I would not buy a guitar that has had extra holes drilled in it. just wait a bit longer and a 535 will show up that is much better. If you want to fit a trem bar, Duesenberg manufacture one that can be retro fitted in minutes that will not need any holes drilled for it to work, you just swap the stop bar for the trem, and in my opinion (I have one fitted to my 555) it is a much better trem than a bigsby.

Hope this helps.

Archived