Heritage Owners Club

H575 control pots not working?

glurgen

Hello folks...I am new to this forum so hope somebody can help me.  My dad has just given me his H575 (sadly his hearing isn't up to him playing any more) which according to the serial is a 1990 model....I just had a play through my amp and the pickup switch only seems to work in the up and middle position, the down position is silent.  The front pots seem to work in the middle position but as far as I can tell (based on other guitars) the bridge pickup can't be selected on its own.  Can anybody confirm this please (in case there is some quirk to Heritage guitars that I'm not aware of)?

I'm actually thinking of selling it so wanted to know if I need to get it fixed first.  

Many thanks

glurgen,  I think you have an issue with the selector switch needing replacement.   That's not all that uncommon after years of use.   My 535's switch was becoming intermittent, and the pots were getting scratchy, so I replaced them when I installed new pickups.

They are simple blade switches and the contacts can become corroded, or the blade maybe loose.   It is also possible that a solder connection could have broken loose.  

Unless it was modified, the wiring of a 575 should be standard Gibson two pickup humbucker wiring.    It isn't too difficult to pull the wiring harness from a 575 to check it out.    A good Switchcraft replacement switch runs about $15 - $20.   If you can solder,  replacement is the way to go.

Stewmac Switches.

Here's the first step when controls or pots start to act up.  If spraying the toggle switch doesn't work, then the next is to take it to a tech for repairs.  Be patient.  It sometimes takes moving the switch back and forth quite a bit.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Cleaners_and_Lubricants/CAIG_DeoxIT_Pot_and_Switch_Cleaner.html

image.png.976e82394b4cda8ed6bfda25ec3b165c.png

if you have no sound from the bridge pickup, Think it a short first, a rogue ground will give the exact same symptom.  Could be the hot lugs grounding on the pot(simple as a loose wire) or the connections at the toggle (Simple as the ground touching the red lead) or maybe a dead pickup.   I would start by measuring the pickup at the toggle and make sure each connection is separated there.

I agree with MM that a grounded lead will kill the channel.  I had that happen when I was rewiring my 535.   Thats one reason that Heritage will put shrink tubing over the sheilding of the wire.   

Its unlikely that its a dead pickup based on the comment that the pickups work in the middle position.   That leads me to suspect the switch.

Put a cord into the jack, place the switch in the bridge position and measure the resistance with the pots at 10 by touching tip and ring of the cord end.  If you see zero or close to it, you have a short.  If you see no resistance indication (blinking number) or greater than 6 to 15 K, you have an open (broken) connection in the circuit.  Move the controls/switches, and tap the bridge pickup while looking at the meter. Look for abrupt changes in resistance.

BTW, It is a great dad who will give a kid a 575!

Archived