Heritage Owners Club

Pickups (again)

I have a 2017 Prospect with Seth Lovers and it sounds fantastic.  Whatever combination of design, construction and electronics - produces killer tone.    Having said that, I am now turning to my 225 Parsons Street produced '74 Les Paul Deluxe (probably made by Marv or Jim back in the 'G' days).   It was bastardized by the original owner (DiMarzio HB on bridge which required a re-routed pickup cavity, original mini HB on neck).   After hearing the tone monster Prospect, I am hankering to modify this old beauty.    Any recommendations from the crowd?  Eyeballing ThroBaks but not sure which ones.   I realize it depends on type of playing, etc., but am looking for sage advice.

There are so very many terrific possibilities!  The variables are the wood, your ears, your fingers and what you run everything through, of course.  I have Gibsons, Throbaks, Tom Shorts, Wolfetones, Lovers, Lollars, DiMarzios, and real PAFs in various guitars.  All swell in their own ways.  But I've also heard Tom Brantley's humbuckers (and have his Tele and Strat p'ups in guitars), and thy're great!  Tom worked for Lindy Fralin and winds as well as does restoration on his own, now.  Tom's also happy to communicate with you, and is very, very intuitive regarding turning conversation and description into a pickup.  He did a Strat bridge pickup for me that has the character of a P-90.  I'll be ordering a pair of his 'buckers soon.  His pickups are incredibly (ridiculously) reasonably priced, too.  DO NOT be put off by his prices!!  His pickups are superb, and he stands behind everything he winds.  Don't like it?  He'll tweak it for you.    http://tombrantleyrewinds.com/ 

I have to ask,  are you into paying high dollar for boutique?   I am all about practical and function and believe Duncans are the best value!

For me, being they are going in a 1974... I am thinking the Duncan Antiquities are the winner, They have a very nice aged sound and have a aged look for a 44 year old guitar and they are under $300.

Which ever way you go, imo, the best tone come from pickups that are not potted. Potting suppresses the harmonics they lead to a full rich sound. 

I have a set of 101+ pickups in a Collings CL that replaces the Lollar imperials. The imperials were good but the Throbaks have the harmonic tones that the imperials just don’t really have. The 101+’s do a great Freddie King too! 

I have an Epiphone AlleyKat semi-hollow with a neck mini humbucker and full size bridge humbucker. Personal preference led me to a Seymourized mini humbucker SM-3n with a Pearly Gates bridge. Balances nicely, not too dark or bright. Nice cleans and gets dirty too! 

In my '85 H-140, I have had a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates since the early '90's. It has the '50's style wiring with CTS pots and 'gum drop' caps (.22 bridge/ .15? neck). I have tried other pickups in other guitars, but this is what I always come back to. Like I said, it's all personal preference. I suggested the Seymour Duncan SM-3n/Pearly Gates bridge because of the mini- humbucker neck route and full size bridge route. 

1 hour ago, notbillgelder said:

I would highly recommend ThroBaks. You should call John, at ThroBak. Tell him what sound you are looking for and he will set you up with the right set of pickups

+100000 This....

And ask for the 20% HOC discount!

• 5 months later...

Denouement:  ThroBaks are awesome.   Jon was fantastic on the phone and he honored the 20%  HOC discount.   I made the modification.   This guitar was built at 225 Parsons in 1974 and some Les Paul purists hate it because of the pancake design, mini-humbuckers and the fact that it was made in the Norlin era.   However, I must say, this is the finest PLAYING Les Paul I have ever played.   It is beautiful.   And now with the new ThroBaks, it is PERFECT!

ThroBaks.jpg

2 hours ago, Johnsonfromwisconsin said:

Denouement:  ThroBaks are awesome.   Jon was fantastic on the phone and he honored the 20%  HOC discount.   I made the modification.   This guitar was built at 225 Parsons in 1974 and some Les Paul purists hate it because of the pancake design, mini-humbuckers and the fact that it was made in the Norlin era.   However, I must say, this is the finest PLAYING Les Paul I have ever played.   It is beautiful.   And now with the new ThroBaks, it is PERFECT!

ThroBaks.jpg

Wow. That's an absolutely Perfect looking burst!!!

Congrats on adding those Throbaks as well, I'd sure like to hear a clip of that marriage.

7 hours ago, Johnsonfromwisconsin said:

ThroBaks.jpg

Nice!  I have a '73.  Same thing, except mine, incredibly enough, has a two-piece bookmatched top, with a little bit of flame in it (more like the center piece in yours).  How'd that happen?!  I've had it since '75!  Routed it for humbuckers not long after I bought it.  Put in a set of DiMarzio PAF's from the first year they were available (can't recall what's in there now).  A number of years later, I had the volute removed, the headstock shaved down, and the neck, back and sides refinished in straight-ahead mahogany to get rid of the burst on the neck, back, and sides.  Left the top alone, of course.  It's an anchor, but you're right JFW, plays wonderfully and sounds as it should!

9 hours ago, Johnsonfromwisconsin said:

ThroBaks.jpg

My first Les Paul was an early Deluxe with a 2 piece top, same color cherry sunburst, and some peakaboo flame! It was KILLER, and my main axe for about 14 years! I only sold it because it had one too many fret jobs and I wanted to try something new. It took me a few more Les Pauls to find one I liked as much. Congrats on your "NEW" guitar:)

Archived