Heritage Owners Club

H575 replacement pickups

glurgen

Hey everyone

I just found out that my late father's beautiful H575 has had the original pickups replaced with pretty awful unbranded black ones. (This may explain why I was so disappointed with how it sounded when I tried it for the first time).

Heritage recommend a Seth Lover set but I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or recommendations.

Also does anybody know which colour pickups would have been supplied on this shade of guitar?

Thanks

Glyn

H575.JPG

Beauty!  And you'll get nearly as many different recommendations as there will be posters.  The original pickups would have been a function of the year in which the guitar was built, and someone else will have to nail down the transition year.  Early 2000's and older, likely Schaller pickups (correct me, boys).  After that, unless it was a custom order, likely Seth Lovers.  Pickups, like underwear, are a personal choice, but for the Heritage hollow and semi-hollow bodies, it's hard to go wrong with Seth Lovers.  And you'll want to go with the nickle covers.  Looks like a non-original case, too.  It was your dad's.  Get it right, and hang on to it!

I have a 576 and I really like the Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAFs. Also his PAF Masters are really soulful. Seth lovers are nice too. All pretty similar to what was originally put in this style of guitar back in the 50s.

I'll think that it looks like nickel, but that will tarnish more easily than chrome, so you may want to think about that.  It's a little hard to tell from the  picture.  It might be easier to tell which one it is by looking at the tuners.

Seth Lovers are real nice -- I have them in a number of guitars -- but they will feed back more quickly than a "potted" pickup, especially in a hollow body.  Depends how loud you intend to play.  I never play loud enough that it's an issue, unless I'm right on top of my amp, but some people do, in which case you may want to consider something like a Duncan 59. which sounds similar, but is potted.

Lovely guitar.  Seths with nickel covers would sound great.  I've been using them for years and haven't had any desire to change them.  Seeing how you're going to be putting new ones in though you might as well consider all the options.  I'm sure someone will get around to suggesting you look into ThroBak.

That is a Classic Beauty. Seth Lovers do work well in them. 

Good Luck with your quest. So many choices!

You dont say the year of your guitar.My 1989 H575 has original plain black plastic pickup covers like your's,but

with 2 adjustment screws on the bass side and one on the treble side.The pickups are original Schallers on mine

but I have never taken them off the guitar to see if the maker is marked on them.Your guitar has different tone and 

volume knobs to mine and mine also has an adjustable bridge metal top section rather than non-adjustable wood.

To my knowledge mine is all original but seems to have been a private import into the UK rather than by the importer of the

time (who checked their records and couldnt find my serial no. on their paperwork).I have seen other early H575's with black 

plastic pickup covers.

6 hours ago, skydog52 said:

That is a Classic Beauty. Seth Lovers do work well in them. 

Good Luck with your quest. So many choices!

+1  The man knows.

I have 1 with throbaks, one with Phat Cats.  Both work very well through clean - high gain amps at moderate volume.  The 575 is an awesome guitar.  Enjoy!

I bought a set of Humbuckers that have literally blown me away after trying almost every PAF style set on the market. They were made by Bobby Tyson, and they are called the Precious and Grace set. The tone through a wound up amp is amazing, and the way they clean up when you roll back the volume is great!  These are a low DC resistance set, but yet, they light up my vintage style amps wonderfully, Here is a link to the set....

https://www.tysontone.com/product/precious-and-grace-pafs/

and here they are in a ES335...

Yoslate is right, they would have been schallers, Peter Alton has a 575 and they were on his. I think the Schallers are pretty awful they were on my 555 when I bought it and I put Symour 59's on instead. 

I may be wrong, but are Seth Lover's unpotted? might ad to the feedback. At the end of the day it's your choice. I bought my SD 59's used for $20 each (steal of the decade) and they sound just as good as anything else. I have come to believe that in the right hands a decent pick up will sound as good as any other if you are using over drive, I know some here will disagree but that's what I think. The SD 59's seem to be a quality pick up that will cover everything unless you want something really hot with ceramic magnets in, but you don't want those on a 575.

By  the way Glyn, thye 575 with nice pick ups in is one of the most beautiful guitars you could play. I love my friend Peter's, it's a real treat for me to go over and play when i'm at his house. a change of pick ups will really bring that guitar to life.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, nice to have you here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 11:42 AM, mark555 said:

I may be wrong, but are Seth Lover's unpotted? might ad to the feedback. At the end of the day it's your choice.

Yes. I would avoid un-potted pickups for feedback but also noise issues with the flat pick hitting the pickup. I like DiMarzio pickups with reduced magnetic pull like the Air Classic. Just put these in a guitar and love them.

Archived