Heritage Owners Club

Finally got the 535 on a record!

yoslate

So today, Luxuriant Sedans released our fourth record in four years, the not obscurely titled Fourth Gear.  Recorded in May, we've been working on it a while.  Recording; mixing; mastering; pulling all of the photography, artwork, graphics, copy and layout together; then getting all of that formatted and through the gatekeepers' hoops at CD Baby and Disc Makers can be rather overwhelming, not to mention exhausting!  But in the end...absolutely worth it!  Our "front man," Mike "Wezo" Wesolowski (vox, Mississippi saxophone) has wanted to record this Paul Butterfield tune for years.  It's available on only one bootleg, as Butter never formally recorded it with his band, Better Days.  So we thought we'd take a crack at it.  This is just the second take, with the band basically live.  I think the only overdubs were the horn parts.  And, as advertised, I  played my marvelous 535 on this track (and one other on the record, as well), something I've wanted to do for a long time.  I'm on the left side.  Solo's live in the take.  A little tough to play this tune as there are so many moving parts making a pocket tough to define.  Played a couple of Amos Garrett's original lines, but I'm making most of it up as I go along.  Rhythm section's pretty stout on this one!  Hope you dig!

https://soundcloud.com/yoslate/down-in-the-countryside

OK, not only is this fabulously great, but I have to award many extra points for the difficulty factor; that song is not easy to pull off and you guys did it fantastically.  Standing applause and a loud "DAMN!"  

Fellas, thanks so much for your time, and lending an ear.  Means a lot!  A whole lot!  Rich and Bob, the Little Big Horns were just great!   Nicest guys you'd ever care to meet!   Tim and Brad have been touring with The Temptaions and The Four Tops for nearly twenty-five years.  Got our tracks about two days before the session.  Came to the session with charts of their arrangements that were dead-on, out of the box.  Negotiated with each other on a couple of partial passes...and Bingo!  Three tracks done in about an hour.  Dan, Lyle, Rhodes, we recorded this in Charlotte, at the same studio in which we did the last disc.  Best drum room I've ever been in!  Chris Garges, who owns the studio, has been at it for twenty-five years, is a graduate of The University of Miami's program, with a major in percussion.  He has the best ears I've ever worked with.  Ed (bass) and I mixed it with him.  Amazing the way he steered us through the decision-making process...just deft "people skills."  David, I'm humbled...you're the real thing.  Playing this live always dances on the edge, but, Big Kudos to the rhythm section, we have yet to fall off.  Our new (January) drummer, Larry Carman, has made a huge difference in how we approach our music.  He's a player's player!  Thanks again, guys!  

I put this on the computer, which has an excellent preamp and speakers, and started cooking dinner. I was making "Thai holy Basel beef" getting into the music, cutting, cooking, then I realized it was Slate playing that great tune. Why it sounded just like music!!! Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, pressure said:

Why it sounded just like music!!!

Wow!  Thanks...Richard...?  Although the "best" compliment I've ever received, years ago, on a project I did was, "Wow...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...."  (And remember, I know you, so I get it!  Thanks!  Always happy to accompany Thai beef!)

36 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Wow!  Thanks...Richard...?  Although the "best" compliment I've ever received, years ago, on a project I did was, "Wow...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...."  (And remember, I know you, so I get it!  Thanks!  Always happy to accompany Thai beef!)

My favorite was always, "Hey, I really love what you guys think you're trying to do!"

4 hours ago, pressure said:

I really did enjoy it Slate.

I suspected....  Thanks, Richard!  Hope the Thai beef was good.  Friend of mine owns a really terrific restaurant, just up the street from me.  His rare roast beef Thai salad is one of my favorite dishes on the planet!  From the menu: "Spring mix, cabbage, cucumbers, and red onions, tossed in our creamy Asian peanut dressing topped with a petite filet, chili lime oil, peanuts and crispy noodles served over a bed of jasmine rice."

It's a great album.    Of course, all of the Luxuriant Sedans albums are tasty.   But this one has an extra depth.  There is more going on , but still in a concise, cohesive direction.   All cylinders are sparking and it's tuned up and ready to ride.   No turbocharger needed, just cubic inches of tone. 

When first putting on the album (Fourth Gear) , I notice some of the names in the writing credits.  P. Butterfield, Tweety, Springsteen, L. Mack, Rodgers/ Kossoff, etc.   You know this is gonna be a ride that takes you somewhere fine.  And with the added layers on this album , they still haven't lost that in-your-face intensity and focus that marks them as the real deal.   Each new tune opening new vistas of the signature Luxuriant Sedans tone. 

So stop by their site ,  Store at Luxuriant Sedans <<<<<<<< ,  and have them ship you a shiny new CD.  Your speakers will thank you.  

And there's a Heritage rockin on this album... says so right on the cover. 

Went on the Sedans website and ordered up a copy of Fourth Gear, along with a copy of Shake It! Live! - and a Sedans coolee to keep my beverage cold while listening.  Received it all today and it came with a return address from our own Yoslate - now that's service for ya.

Just now, golferwave said:

Went on the Sedans website and ordered up a copy of Fourth Gear, along with a copy of Shake It! Live! - and a Sedans coolee to keep my beverage cold while listening.  Received it all today and it came with a return address from our own Yoslate - now that's service for ya.

Yeah,  I have visions of an old van in the Yoslate driveway filled with swag, shirts and CDs, only because Mrs Yoslate made him get them out of the closets!

Archived