Heritage Owners Club

Another 535 track...because it's a 535....

yoslate

Here's another one, a slow blues by Lonnie Mack, from Fourth Gear, the new one from Luxuriant Sedans.  Again, the 535 with Seths, through the former Bogen PA head, reconfigured into a '57 tweed Twin by Dale Laslie, at MegaTone.  This one's straight, no chaser:  535, cord, amp.  All live, no overdubs, second take.  I'm on the left, Gino ('64 Fender brownface Deluxe and an SG, I think), the right.

Loved the nasty dbl stop thing around 3:10!

So you somehow took an old Bogen head and made it into a twin? Can I assume it has some 6L6's in it? Four of them? Are you using the pre amp from the Bogen or did he design something for it?

Old designs  like the 535 and old amps just seem to pair together really nicely.

4 hours ago, rwinking said:

So you somehow took an old Bogen head and made it into a twin? Can I assume it has some 6L6's in it? Four of them? Are you using the pre amp from the Bogen or did he design something for it?

Old designs  like the 535 and old amps just seem to pair together really nicely.

I sure didn't!  But my amp guy, Dale Laslie at Mega Tone amps (megatoneamps.com) did.  Used the Bogen chassis and iron, and configured things to replicate the 5E8a circuit, the low power tweed Twin.  That one had only two 6L6's.  Dale specializes in acquiring old PA heads and signal generators, that sort of thing, and doing amazing things with them.  I've owned several of his Frankenstein builds, plus he's modded just about every amp I've owned in the last eight or nine years.  This 5E8a clone is just magic!  Used it on every track on the disc except one.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, jacques said:

Has the guitar you use on your picture a Gibson headstock?

In the picture accompanying the Soundcloud track, yes.  That is my Gibson R4.  The guitar on the actual track is a 1990 Heritage 535, a truly wonderful instrument.

5 hours ago, jacques said:

Aaah, I see.

And do I see you pose on your Heritage Owners Club avatar picture with that very same Gibson guitar?

It's a miracle they didn't expel you.:violent1:

There are many miracles on this forum....

27 minutes ago, bolero said:

is that a greenback speaker?

Thanks you, Chris!  You're too kind.  It's not a Celestion, though I love those...the vintage British ones, anyway.   The aforementioned amp is into a 1x12 custom built cab, loaded with an Eminence Tonker.  I can't for the life of me remember the details on the mic.  As I recall, it was some kind of vintage Sony ribbon.  I wanted the Royer R-121, but Chris had already mic'ed Gino with it, and his second one was broken.  Tone still came out pretty well, though.  I've gone on and on about that 535.  It's charmed, I think.

8 hours ago, yoslate said:

There are many miracles on this forum....

As a foreigner I never understood what these qualifications like Descendant  or Has to go out more were all about. But now I get why they put Has skewed priorities underneath the name of a Charter Member who dares to pose with a Gibson on this here Heritage forum. :D

8 hours ago, jacques said:

As a foreigner I never understood what these qualifications like Descendant  or Has to go out more were all about. But now I get why they put Has skewed priorities underneath the name of a Charter Member who dares to pose with a Gibson on this here Heritage forum. :D

Much of it is idiom, Jacques.  And a lot of it reflects the sense of humor of the character who began the forum.  He's  clever, very culturally astute, witty and enjoys invisibility.  When he reads this, he'll likely deny all of it.  And we all enjoy and appreciate a wide variety of good instruments.

guitar for idioms. and other delights

wow that tonker sounds good. it's a higher wattage speaker too: surprised as I'd assume a 5E3 would pair up better with a low wattage speaker

oops...up there you said TWEED TWIN. I get it now

must have been dyslexic, eyeballing 535 into 5E3

Making my heart weep, Sir Robbie.  From 2:24 - the 3:00 mark... that's how it's done.  So sweet.  That Vibrato and deft right hand touch just slays me.

Sigh -  that hit the spot this morning.  Needed that.  Thanks, man.

Archived