Heritage Owners Club

Roy Clark & other early Heritage Endorsers

jaywolfe

I was reading with interest some posts about Roy and his hookup with Heritage early on. When Heritage was just getting going Roy wanted to help and encourage. He was flattered that they would do a sig. model and normally this would entail a percentage of the wholesale price to be paid to him. He refused to accept any $$, which  shows us what kinda guy he is and his appreciation for the Heritage guys. I feel it helped them to have such an important artist on the list. Henry Johnson also came aboard early on and did much to promote the new brand, although a signature model was years away for Henry. Having the legend Johnny Smith was amazing, and he actually hand signed the labels. Bill Paige would mail him a check for a paltry $50 along with a label & return envelope. Those guitars are now quite well sought after and I feel they'll be valuable in years to come. I once sold one to a customer once for $3250 and he later told me he bought a 2nd one from Johnny himself while in Colorado for $5000, which was MSRP at the time. I asked why he'd pay that much more and he said (the obvious) that he bought it from JOHNNY! Makes sense, and that's what Smith got for them at that time- MSRP, but you bought it from the man himself, who owned 2 Music shops back then. The Gary Moore hookup was completely arranged & orchestrated by my Pal Terry Haselden, who was Heritage's UK distributer in them days. It's a longer story, for another time, but a sordid tale indeed.

Jay, thanks for the back stories on some of the most popular Heritage artists.  Artist endorsements showed the guitar world what Heritage could do.  And without a serious ad campaign, they needed all the help they could get to establish market credibility. 

Thank you, Jay. Enjoyed learning about the early artists. Do you know the back story on Alvin Lee? Never have seen any of his model 535 for sale always wondered how many where made.

I remember seeing Roy Clark first as a comic guitar player. He'd play, make faces, gaff for the camera and have a good time. More comedian than guitar player, but a good guitar player none the less. I always tuned in to Hee Haw to see him play. RIP Roy Clark. 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, StephenK said:

Thank you, Jay. Enjoyed learning about the early artists. Do you know the back story on Alvin Lee? Never have seen any of his model 535 for sale always wondered how many where made.

I don't have any info about that ill fated model. I kinda think my Pal Terry was involved, as he sold me 2 N.O.S. Alvin Lee Heritage's many moons back and shipped them to me from the UK at his expense. They were difficult to sell. and I was happy to have them go.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, jaywolfe said:

I was reading with interest some posts about Roy and his hookup with Heritage early on. When Heritage was just getting going Roy wanted to help and encourage. He was flattered that they would do a sig. model and normally this would entail a percentage of the wholesale price to be paid to him. He refused to accept any $$, which  shows us what kinda guy he is and his appreciation for the Heritage guys. I feel it helped them to have such an important artist on the list. Henry Johnson also came aboard early on and did much to promote the new brand, although a signature model was years away for Henry. Having the legend Johnny Smith was amazing, and he actually hand signed the labels. Bill Paige would mail him a check for a paltry $50 along with a label & return envelope. Those guitars are now quite well sought after and I feel they'll be valuable in years to come. I once sold one to a customer once for $3250 and he later told me he bought a 2nd one from Johnny himself while in Colorado for $5000, which was MSRP at the time. I asked why he'd pay that much more and he said (the obvious) that he bought it from JOHNNY! Makes sense, and that's what Smith got for them at that time- MSRP, but you bought it from the man himself, who owned 2 Music shops back then. The Gary Moore hookup was completely arranged & orchestrated by my Pal Terry Haselden, who was Heritage's UK distributer in them days. It's a longer story, for another time, but a sordid tale indeed.

Very interesting Jay, thank you. I would be interested in hearing the story on Kenny Burrell as well, should you have one. 

On 11/17/2018 at 7:09 PM, pro-fusion said:

Interesting that the current Heritage web site doesn't even list any endorsers. Alex Skolnick was the last major score of theirs that I remember.

It may be that endorsers don't bring in enough business for a builder like Heritage now.

And I have one. There were approximately 20-25 Skolnick models made in 2010.

Archived