Heritage Owners Club

H-575 w/laminated top

Dasincler

Hey everyone!  Proud new owner of an H-575...or what may not be an H-575??? Or maybe a custom order?  The serial number dates it to 2016.

There's a couple anomolies I've found with this guy, first the label states it has SD-59s, I went poking around with a mirror to find that the bridge is actually a Seth Lover.  Being fairly certain it hadn't been messed with (it's especially pristine and factory fresh looking) I pulled the neck pickup to see if it was a '59, But it's a Seth Lover also.  

And then grain of the top catches my eye.  Sure as heck looks like a laminate to me.  Opinions?  Would that mean the entire guitar is laminate.  Is there another model this thing could be?  Perhaps my guitar got a wrong label?  

I think the instrument came from Wolfe as there was a Wolfe polishing cloth in the case.  Where they ordering custom guitars during that time?  

Thanks for the help!  

IMG_20181121_095136596.jpg

That does look like a laminate top.   The standard for the 575 is a carved maple back and top.   The 525 has a laminate top, as do the 550 and the 576.   I think the standard 3 piece laminate is maple/basswood/maple (if I remember correctly from the tours).   The rims are solid on all Heritage hollow and semi hollow guitars, standard is maple, unless you request something else.

That said,  its not unusual for someone to custom order a guitar.   Perhaps Jay will chime in on this one.    Can you post more pictures, and maybe PM the serial number to Jay.   He might have  a record on that particular guitar if it came through his shop.

RE: the pickups,   that would be a relatively easy swap, so its possible that the original owner didn't care for the 59s and decided to go with Seth Lovers instead.  

Thanks for the reply TalismanRich!  Yeah the pickups would be an easy swap, however it quite literally looks like this guitar was never touched, so I would be very surprised if someone played it even long enough to find they didn't like the '59s.  But who knows.  

Yes here's another pic of the top's cross-section from the rear pickup facing the neck.  Having trouble posting many more because it's  difficult to get the file size down uner 1.5MB.  Its a little less apparent here but I think I still see 3 layers.

IMG_20181121_095300295.jpg

I'm under the impression that all Heritage semi-hollow body tops are made by joining multiple sheets of wood together (ie laminating) with glue and then having the wood steme pressed into the correct arch shape. There are a number of videos on the web showing that, perhaps even one that I put there. However, any guitar which is advertised as being a carved top such as in the full hollow body guitars would be just that... carved into an arch shape from a single piece of material.

Hi Hangar18, based on the brief googling I did and Heritage's own ad copy, a solid carved Maple top was/is standard for the H-575.  And while I agree with you that things are often as advertised sometimes there are exceptions, which is what we're discussing here. 

Nice 575 you got there, and welcome to the HOC. 

As far as the laminate construction, it would definitely be a custom order.  Maybe it was made to be a closer spec to an ES-175, also lam constructed, but known for its toneful jazzy 'thunk' (ala Joe Pass).

How do you like it?

That's a solid top on a stunning 575. 

Nothing beats a beautiful, wide open box!

Congrats;  Nice snatch!

Thanks guys!  Let's just say I have spent more time with this guitar than I have with any in a while.  It got me working on transcribing Joe Pass and Herb Ellis's recording of Cherokee.  Now I know why, that laminated top was begging for it :) I'll pass along a recording when I finish some time next decade. 

9 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

A buddy has a 550.  I love it and it's tone. 

One of the things that impressed me with the 525 was its sound when played unamplified.    LK brought it to PSP and I loved the balanced timbre, compared to the 575 which sometimes sounded a bit "woofy" to me.    When Lyle decided to go for a 150 and put the 525 up for sale,  I jumped on it.   Its found permanent residence here!   I still love the sound of it acoustically and electrically.

14 hours ago, Dasincler said:

Yes here she is!  Albiet cropped poorly to get the file size down...

IMG_20181024_170902317.jpg

Nice get. Congratulations!

The 575 has been on my radar for awhile.

My understanding is that the H575 was made less deep in the body than its Gibson 175 cousin (1"?)was

because the Heritage was made with a solid top rather than the Gibson's laminate giving an equal

acoustic volume.

4 hours ago, houndhome said:

My understanding is that the H575 was made less deep in the body than its Gibson 175 cousin (1"?)was

because the Heritage was made with a solid top rather than the Gibson's laminate giving an equal

acoustic volume.

The ES175 is 3" deep,  the H575 is 2 3/4" deep, so it's only 1/4" difference.

Heritage did the same thing with the 535,   The ES335 is 1/8" thicker than the H535.   Over the years,  Gibson has varied a lot in the rim thickness, so you might find some that are as thin as the Heritage.

I was actually rather suprised to learn it was a laminate top, especially having heard the lore that the ES-175 sounds terrible played acoustic. I'd be interested now to see how a solid top compares.  I won't exaggerate to say that mine is as loud or full sounding as a solid spruce topped acoustic or one with a floating pickup not affecting the movement of the top.  However it is rather loud and resonant and has a very cool midrangy growl when played unplugging. Of course it does loose much of that quality when plugged in.  Could be interesting to figure out how to capture it though. Perhaps a nice lapel type mic clipped to the pickguard?

13 hours ago, Dasincler said:

...it is rather loud and resonant and has a very cool midrangy growl when played unplugging. Of course it does loose much of that quality when plugged in.  Could be interesting to figure out how to capture it though. Perhaps a nice lapel type mic clipped to the pickguard?

Try an under-bridge  or under-saddle PUP.

Archived