Heritage Owners Club

Looking for a speaker cabinet

kennyv4

I have been on a quest to find a light weight amp to bring to Florida this winter.  I play with a group there and don't want to lug around one of my tube amps  A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Quilter 101 reverb amp head,  The head is great.  Very small, light and easy to transport.  I then purchased a Quilter Block 10TC speaker cabinet because it was also very light weight and had decent reviews.  Well the speaker meets the needs for practicing at home but would never make it playing in a group.  The higher the amp volume the worse the speaker sounds.   We don't mic our amps. I am not knocking the build quality of the speaker cabinet.  It is built like a tank , I just don't like the sound at higher volumes.  The group only plays a couple of soft 60's rock songs., easy listening and a lot of 40's and 50's tunes, so the sound has to be clean.  I returned the speaker.  I have been using my Fender  Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 speaker and it does the job.  I know the logical answer is to bring the Deluxe to Florida, but whatever speaker I bring, I am going to leave it in Florida and  I use the Deluxe in Cleveland with several different amps.  I really want a light weight 1x12 speaker cabinet for Florida.  I have been looking at the Fender Bassbreaker 1x12 speaker cabinet.  I also would like to keep he cost around $300.   Do any of you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Try Avatar, they are reasonably priced and and sound great. They have a tweed 112 that is 3/4" pine with a baltic birch plywood speaker baffle. They are a little more than

your budget at $369 but they are made extremely well!  And they come with a great variety of speaker choices...  https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar/g112-tweed-slant/

Between a friend and I we have bought 4 cabinets from them and all came out great!

I would also add that if by chance you have a spare 12" speaker lying around you could also order one of Avatar's empty 112 convertible cabs which will drop the price to $279.00 and allow you to have either a closed back cab or one that is partially open back.

I've had an Avatar 2-12" semi-open back and two 4-10" closed back cabs for well over ten years now and they've all been flawless.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 9:16 AM, kennyv4 said:

I have been on a quest to find a light weight amp to bring to Florida this winter.  I play with a group there and don't want to lug around one of my tube amps  A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Quilter 101 reverb amp head,  The head is great.  Very small, light and easy to transport.  I then purchased a Quilter Block 10TC speaker cabinet because it was also very light weight and had decent reviews.  Well the speaker meets the needs for practicing at home but would never make it playing in a group.  The higher the amp volume the worse the speaker sounds.   We don't mic our amps. I am not knocking the build quality of the speaker cabinet.  It is built like a tank , I just don't like the sound at higher volumes.  The group only plays a couple of soft 60's rock songs., easy listening and a lot of 40's and 50's tunes, so the sound has to be clean.  I returned the speaker.  I have been using my Fender  Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 speaker and it does the job.  I know the logical answer is to bring the Deluxe to Florida, but whatever speaker I bring, I am going to leave it in Florida and  I use the Deluxe in Cleveland with several different amps.  I really want a light weight 1x12 speaker cabinet for Florida.  I have been looking at the Fender Bassbreaker 1x12 speaker cabinet.  I also would like to keep he cost around $300.   Do any of you have any suggestions or recommendations?

I found my Quilter sounds huge through a 2x12.  I used a Jet City JCA 24S+ for mine.  

I just bought another 4x12 speaker cabinet because I'm insane.

Well, at least now I can reach the knobs without bending over.

Actually, now that I think about it, this is the first time in my life I have ever had a Marshall stack in the classic sense of the phrase. I'm not counting that much smaller solid state version I used to own.

This thing isn't going anywhere. Ever.

marshallstack.jpg

2 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I just bought another 4x12 speaker cabinet because I'm insane.

Well, at least now I can reach the knobs without bending over.

Actually, now that I think about it, this is the first time in my life I have ever had a Marshall stack in the classic sense of the phrase. I'm not counting that much smaller solid state version I used to own.

This thing isn't going anywhere. Ever.

marshallstack.jpg

They work best side by side in a slight V on the floor, as in not in your ear and coupled to the floor for the low end.  Is that a 1960TV?

On 11/28/2018 at 9:16 AM, kennyv4 said:

Build your own cabinet as an oversized 2x12' from 3/4" plywood with Eminence Swamp Thang 16 ohm speakers.  The oversized will get the low end, which is probably why you don't like what you already have.  You will get what you need and not break the bank.  Quite functional.

5 hours ago, mars_hall said:

They work best side by side in a slight V on the floor, as in not in your ear and coupled to the floor for the low end.  Is that a 1960TV?

Yes, the a-cabinet has V30's and the b-cabinet has the standard speakers. They would sound even better if I were to separate them sideways... one in each corner, but part of the appeal here is the ominous visual appearance. Even Kerry King (whose signature model head that is) doesn't stack them like that either. Basically I just dropped this photo in here for the effect. Exactly opposite of what the OP is trying to accomplish. This is clearly what NOT to do. If I had to travel, or even jam in my living room, either one of my two smallest Mesa amps (mentioned above) would be well suited to the task and very practical.

I've got a couple of Earcandy cabs that I like a lot.    I've got a 1x12 and 2x12 and they are solid and sound great with the speaker of your choice.  You can choose your tolex snd handle configuration.  Tim does a good job, but you might need to nudge him on completion and delivery.

Archived