Heritage Owners Club

New, first time, owner - expectations?

WScott

Hi all,

I just bought a 2015 H-335.   I will not receive it in the mail until at least next week.   I wanted a quality guitar with a 1.75" nut size for finger style jazz.  I am 78 and I have never owned a Heritage guitar.  What do I have to look forward to?

Thanks, Scott

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Scott.  I'm guessing you bought an H-535 which is the equivalent  to a Gibson ES-335.  What you purchased is a well made guitar which you will have no problems dialing in a nice jazz sound for your prefeered style of playi ng.  I own a H-535 and mostly play your style of music.  Iv'e toured both the Gibson factory in Memphis and the Heritage factory in Kalamazoo  about five years ago and IMO your guitar is a better made instrament than the Gibson.  I own both an ES-335 and a H-535, they are both great guitars, but my favorite is the Heritage.  To sum up your question, you have many many hours, days, months and years of playing a really great guitar that you will love playing, that's what you can  look forward to.  Enjoy and let us know how much you like/love your new Heritage.   

Congratulations on your H535.  It is a wonderful instrument.   In addition to having a great musical experience with your H535, you can expect to meet a lot of quality folks here at HOC.     My first Heritage was a 535 too (I am also a jazz player), and since then I have now owned half a dozen at one time or another.    I wish I'd kept most of them, but still have two, and probably always will.  They make wonderful old friends.  

1 hour ago, WScott said:

What do I have to look forward to?

A pre-Plaza Corp. masterpiece. I waited years to get my 2015 gem, and it's everything one could want, or expect, from a versatile sweet sounding guitar.

YYRwRg2h.jpg

Hi Yooper,

Thanks for your picture and appraisal.  I am looking forward to receiving mine.  It is the standard, but beautiful sunburst.  Your guitar is really stunning!   I have curling fingers on my left hand and I am having trouble getting them on the right strings.  The H-575 I bought is 1.75" at the nut.  So it is a little wider than standard.  I am hoping that will help me enjoy playing a little longer.  I am 78 and may not have that many years ahead.  So even a fraction of an inch at the nut could translate into more time to play for me.

I certainly admire your guitar!  Thanks, again.  Scott

48 minutes ago, kennyv4 said:

Welcome to the forum Scott.  I'm guessing you bought an H-535 which is the equivalent  to a Gibson ES-335.  What you purchased is a well made guitar which you will have no problems dialing in a nice jazz sound for your prefeered style of playi ng.  I own a H-535 and mostly play your style of music.  Iv'e toured both the Gibson factory in Memphis and the Heritage factory in Kalamazoo  about five years ago and IMO your guitar is a better made instrament than the Gibson.  I own both an ES-335 and a H-535, they are both great guitars, but my favorite is the Heritage.  To sum up your question, you have many many hours, days, months and years of playing a really great guitar that you will love playing, that's what you can  look forward to.  Enjoy and let us know how much you like/love your new Heritage.   

Hi Kenny,

Thank you.  Yes, it is an H-535.  I am really encouraged to get so many positive responses so quickly.   I don't have much money to spend anymore at my age and I am glad I can look forward to a very good experience with the H-535.

Regards, Scott

Welcome Scott.

I think you'll like the 535.   I find the necks on Heritage guitars to feel very "natural".   

Kudos on still playing into your 70s.   I hope to be doing the same in a few more years.  Les Paul was still playing in his 90s, so I think we still have a little bit left!

45 minutes ago, tsp17 said:

Congratulations on your H535.  It is a wonderful instrument.   In addition to having a great musical experience with your H535, you can expect to meet a lot of quality folks here at HOC.     My first Heritage was a 535 too (I am also a jazz player), and since then I have now owned half a dozen at one time or another.    I wish I'd kept most of them, but still have two, and probably always will.  They make wonderful old friends.  

Hi tsp17,

I really like the idea of meeting a lot of quality folks here.  I live in a very rural area, my wife picked it out as she has a few relatives here, and I don't have many friends.  The people at the local guitar shop are about the only people I know who would appreciate Heritage instruments.    I am also really a terrible guitar player.  I played "cowboy" chords on a single 12-string Ovation Elite guitar for 25 years.  So my project for my mature years is to learn the standards I have loved over the years and play them on a jazz guitar.   I sing fairly well but I have not looked for a job for about seven years.  Now I am learning new music, with a new guitar, and will begin looking for a job again come Spring.

Thanks, again for you response, information and encouragement.   Regards, Scott

2 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Welcome Scott.

I think you'll like the 535.   I find the necks on Heritage guitars to feel very "natural".   

Kudos on still playing into your 70s.   I hope to be doing the same in a few more years.  Les Paul was still playing in his 90s, so I think we still have a little bit left!

Hi Rich,

Thanks for responding.  I am looking forward to playing this guitar -- and playing into my 90's -- good idea!   :)        Regards, Scott

Welcome Scott,

As you can see there are a lot of people owning Heritage Guitars. Some of us are well know in the music industry and some are like me a semi retired musician. Do not let anyone tell you you should have bought a “G” some. These guitars are so well made and you can customize them when you buy a new one. Well in recap, these are the real deal and Heritage stands behind their product. Be confident and play your hearts desire. Enjoy. 

Well done sir!  I see it as a goal just to get to 78.  Most of my family die in their 60's.  I'm now 56. 

Still playing guitar will be a bonus.

14 minutes ago, Petros said:

Welcome Scott,

As you can see there are a lot of people owning Heritage Guitars. Some of us are well know in the music industry and some are like me a semi retired musician. Do not let anyone tell you you should have bought a “G” some. These guitars are so well made and you can customize them when you buy a new one. Well in recap, these are the real deal and Heritage stands behind their product. Be confident and play your hearts desire. Enjoy. 

Hi Petros,

Thank you.   Since I last posted a couple of hours ago I have watched a couple of You Tube videos of interviews with the Heritage owners and read more about the history.  I am impressed.  It is unfortunately too late for me to become a good guitarist.  But I just love the sound of jazz guitars and always did.  I just could never afford to buy a good one or have the time to learn with one even if I had bought one.  I am retired after 25 years in the military and then another 10 years working the construction industry to pay off a mortgage.  Now, at 78, I finally have the time and I am using it as well as I can.

I actually first explored Heritage because I read they made some guitars with a 1.75" nut width.   I have a bad hand condition and my fingers are curling.  I had one operation but it was a failure.  I am playing now with the side of my little finger and it may have to come off one day.  I wanted to try the wider finger board because I am having an ever more difficult time hitting the strings precisely with my fingers.   I  hope the slight extra space between the strings will give me a little more margin for error.   We will see.  But I really did not foresee that I was getting such a good guitar until near the time I made the purchase of one that was 1.75" at the nut.   And, of course, everyone on this forum has only echoed that fact.   I appreciate everyone who has sent me encouragement.

Thanks, again.    Scott

4 minutes ago, AP515 said:

Well done sir!  I see it as a goal just to get to 78.  Most of my family die in their 60's.  I'm now 56. 

Still playing guitar will be a bonus.

Hi AP,

I really feel the same way.  In fact, I have a similar family history.  My Father died at 59, his younger brother at 54, and his two older brothers in their early 60's.  So everyday is precious.  I really want to get good enough at the new music I am learning to go looking for jobs in the Spring.  I love to sing.   But, you are right, even if that does not work out, playing a fine guitar every day is a huge bonus.  Life is hard -- and short.  I saw a lot of that overseas in my years in the military.  I now how lucky I am and I never hesitate to say so.  Curling fingers, essential tremors, bad back, poor eyesight, poor hearing, prostate problems, etc., etc., I know I am a lucky man.  Heck, I have even been married three times and survived that -- so far.   :)   I have four children, ten grandchildren, and six great grandchildren.  And they are all healthy.  I feel very lucky.  And being able to play a good guitar everyday is a "bonus!"   :)

Thanks for your message.   At 56 you have a long way to go.  Enjoy!!       Regards, Scott

14 minutes ago, Vanschoyck said:

Expect people to want to see pictures.

h535a.jpg

Hi Van,

The guitar I bought should be in the mail tomorrow.   I will certainly try to post a picture.   I have to say I am barely computer literate.  But, like the music, I just try to keep learning and I will try to post a picture.   I certainly admire your beautiful guitar!    :)      Regards, Scott

Welcome aboard.  We are a 535 friendly bunch here in north Alabama.  Mine is on the left and two of my buddie's 535s are in the center and right. 

535x3.jpg

19 minutes ago, High Flying Bird said:

Welcome aboard.  We are a 535 friendly bunch here in north Alabama.  Mine is on the left and two of my buddie's 535s are in the center and right. 

535x3.jpg

Wow, great guitars.     As near as I can tell from the pictures, mine should be most like the center one.    You guys must make a lot of great music when you get together.  Beautiful.  I live in far northwestern NC.   We are just getting over a foot and a half of snow.  We actually thought of retiring in southern Alabama but my wife has relatives here.  I have only driven through Birmingham once, years ago.   I did live down in Biloxi, MS for four years while I was in the military.

Thanks,  Scott

36 minutes ago, WScott said:

...  I live in far northwestern NC.   .

We're neighbors!  I'm in Greensboro, NC  There are a few others in NC as well.  Yoslate is here in GSO too.

1 hour ago, bolero said:

congrats!!

you cannot get a better guitar than a H535, IMO

Thanks, bolero.  I am looking forward to playing it.   I have had to wait too many years to spend on something I might really like.  Time is running low so I will try to take advantage of it.

I have to mention I have had the opportunity to enjoy the hospitality of Canadians many times, both here in the US and in Canada.  I was the Contracting Officer on what was called the Dew Line, the Distant Early Warning line of radars across Alaska, Canada, and Greenland.  I have visited the Arctic twice and made many stops in Winnipeg and brief stops in Edmonton. Calgary and Quebec.   I worked part time for a great Canadian golf pro in the Chicago are.   I have taken the tour through the ethnic areas around Winnipeg during their celebration.   I have always been well treated.  My wife and I were once given tickets to a Blue Bomber's game, which we really enjoyed.  I have always enjoyed myself there.  I even sing some of Anne Murray's and Diana Krall's songs.   :)   Thanks for your post!

Regards, Scott

45 minutes ago, AP515 said:

We're neighbors!  I'm in Greensboro, NC  There are a few others in NC as well.  Yoslate is here in GSO too.

Hi AP,

Yes, we are relatively neighbors.   I have only been to Greensboro once, looking for a guitar store I could not find.  :)   I live in a very rural area, Traphill -- between Wilkesboro and Elkin.  We have been here since December 13, 2002.   I like it here but my wife would like to move someplace warmer.  :)   

My bed time.  :)     Regards, Scott 

Shazam Scott, you are up near Mayberry and Mt. Pilot.  We almost drove up for a long weekend once when the girls were younger. 

6 hours ago, WScott said:

"You guys must make a lot of great music when you get together."

We are just weekend pickers.  None of us are very good but we hang out and have a good time.  I do like to think that I can make up in tone for what I lack in talent. 

Here is an old 535 I traded after getting the Gold 535 in the photo.  I traded "Goldyrocks" to Jim when I got the 535 on the left. 

cantplay.jpg

Archived