Heritage Owners Club

New, first time, owner - expectations?

WScott

4 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

Shazam Scott, you are up near Mayberry and Mt. Pilot.  We almost drove up for a long weekend once when the girls were younger. 

Right, that is the general direction from you.  We can see Pilot Mt. on a clear day.  We drive to Mt. Airy sometimes to see a movie.  It is about a 45 minute drive from home.  :) 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

We are just weekend pickers.  None of us are very good but we hang out and have a good time.  I do like to think that I can make up in tone for what I lack in talent. 

Here is an old 535 I traded after getting the Gold 535 in the photo.  I traded "Goldyrocks" to Jim when I got the 535 on the left. 

cantplay.jpg

Nice.  I wish I played much better.   If I couldn't sing I would have never gotten a job.  But I love the music and I am working hard to play as well as I can given the condition of my fingers.  I have found it is a lot tougher to play  ad sing Jazz and Standards than Country.  But even if I never work again I am having fun.  I have a great collection of lead sheets if nothing else!   :)    Enjoy!

Scott

11 hours ago, tsp17 said:

Right!   :)    I will be happy to post a picture . . . when I get the guitar.   I just bought it and it is still in the hands of UPS.  It is due here tomorrow.    The snow is gone so the UPS truck will be able to get up the drive.  I had to go out to the road and wait for the truck the last two times we had some sort of delivery scheduled.    I am anxious to see it myself, my first Heritage guitar!    :)       

When I post a picture do I click on "insert other media" or "choose files"?    Thanks.

Scott

44 minutes ago, WScott said:

Right!   :)    I will be happy to post a picture . . . when I get the guitar.   I just bought it and it is still in the hands of UPS.  It is due here tomorrow.    The snow is gone so the UPS truck will be able to get up the drive.  I had to go out to the road and wait for the truck the last two times we had some sort of delivery scheduled.    I am anxious to see it myself, my first Heritage guitar!    :)       

When I post a picture do I click on "insert other media" or "choose files"?    Thanks.

Scott

Choose files is for when you have a copy of the photo on your computer that you can navigate to and select it for upload. The file size will need to be under the assigned quota so depending on the original file (photo) you may need to have it reduced in size before uploading it. The poor man's way to reduce a photo file size (without a $700.00 Photoshop program) is to upload the photo to Facebook and then re-save a copy of the Facebook version of the photo. FB will automatically reduce the file size for you before they post the photo.

20 minutes ago, HANGAR18 said:

Choose files is for when you have a copy of the photo on your computer that you can navigate to and select it for upload. The file size will need to be under the assigned quota so depending on the original file (photo) you may need to have it reduced in size before uploading it. The poor man's way to reduce a photo file size (without a $700.00 Photoshop program) is to upload the photo to Facebook and then re-save a copy of the Facebook version of the photo. FB will automatically reduce the file size for you before they post the photo.

Thank you.  I will take a picture and put it into the computer.   I will resize it like I do when I put something up for sale on E-Bay.  Then I will choose files and select the photo.   Since I am familiar with that process from my E-Bay sales I hope it works!   :)    Thanks,   Scott

Hi Scott.  Welcome to the HOC.  I can only imagine how excited you must be to receive your first Heritage guitar.  That is a feeling we've all experienced!  It's almost like a kid waiting for Santa and opening gifts at Christmas.  At least that's the way I always felt when expecting one of Kalamazoo's finest to be dropped off at my door.

A word of caution.  Give your new guitar time to acclimate to the warmer temperature inside you home.  The wood and lacquer need to slowly adjust.  I might seem like torture to have a box carrying your new baby, and not being able to immediately pop it open and inspect it for a few hours, but that's the safest approach.

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Hi Scott.  Welcome to the HOC.  I can only imagine how excited you must be to receive your first Heritage guitar.  That is a feeling we've all experienced!  It's almost like a kid waiting for Santa and opening gifts at Christmas.  At least that's the way I always felt when expecting one of Kalamazoo's finest to be dropped off at my door.

A word of caution.  Give your new guitar time to acclimate to the warmer temperature inside you home.  The wood and lacquer need to slowly adjust.  I might seem like torture to have a box carrying your new baby, and not being able to immediately pop it open and inspect it for a few hours, but that's the safest approach.

Hi Git,

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.  I will surely follow it.  I hope I like the guitar.  I got it primarily due to the 1.75" nut width.  I have a hereditary condition causing my fingers to curl and an operation only seemed to make it worse.  So I thought the little extra width might help me.  I did not know all about Heritage when I bought the guitar but I have learned a lot since.    If I like it I may be in the market for a 575 or Eagle that is 1.75".   But it would have to help my fingering.   I wish I could afford a new one.  The 575's are not really that expensive.  But we  will see.

The H-535 is due to arrive tomorrow.  Like Christmas, I agree.  I told my wife not to buy me anything else!  :)       Scott

33 minutes ago, kennyv4 said:

Scott, Consider yourself a lucky man if your wife bought you that guitar.   

I would, Kenny.   But i bought the one coming tomorrow.  And there is zero chance of her buying one for me -- at any time in the future!  :)   She is convinced I am a little crazy.  She is probably right!  :)         I spent the afternoon working on my songs in Band in a Box.    I need to spend more time learning to play guitar!   :)          Scott

On 12/16/2018 at 10:13 PM, WScott said:

Thanks, bolero.  I am looking forward to playing it.   I have had to wait too many years to spend on something I might really like.  Time is running low so I will try to take advantage of it.

I have to mention I have had the opportunity to enjoy the hospitality of Canadians many times, both here in the US and in Canada.  I was the Contracting Officer on what was called the Dew Line, the Distant Early Warning line of radars across Alaska, Canada, and Greenland.  I have visited the Arctic twice and made many stops in Winnipeg and brief stops in Edmonton. Calgary and Quebec.   I worked part time for a great Canadian golf pro in the Chicago are.   I have taken the tour through the ethnic areas around Winnipeg during their celebration.   I have always been well treated.  My wife and I were once given tickets to a Blue Bomber's game, which we really enjoyed.  I have always enjoyed myself there.  I even sing some of Anne Murray's and Diana Krall's songs.   :)   Thanks for your post!

Regards, Scott

that sounds like a pretty interesting field of work! most Canadians are pretty easygoing. glad to hear you had good experiences up here!

I saw Diana Krall at Massey Hall: she opened for Neil Young. Just her solo on Neil's old piano!! what an amazing show that night was

meanwhile, back to 535's....here is a pic I dug up of mine. back when I had a Vibramate + Bigsby B5 installed:

535rear.jpg

On 12/20/2018 at 12:02 AM, bolero said:

that sounds like a pretty interesting field of work! most Canadians are pretty easygoing. glad to hear you had good experiences up here!

I saw Diana Krall at Massey Hall: she opened for Neil Young. Just her solo on Neil's old piano!! what an amazing show that night was

meanwhile, back to 535's....here is a pic I dug up of mine. back when I had a Vibramate + Bigsby B5 installed:

535rear.jpg

These Heritage guitars all seem to look great.  Yours certainly does.   Mine just arrived a couple of days ago.  It is the most beautiful guitar I have ever owned.  I have a note to myself to get a picture of it to post soon.  It plays and sounds great too.   I have even started looking for a 575 but my wife insists I get rid of one of my other guitars.  So I am hoping to find a dealer or someone interested in relatively rare Gibson, three pick-up Switchmaster, that I have getting a set-up now.  I paid $3,299 for it.  So it is a nice guitar.  But trades are hard to make and dealers are not anxious to take trade-ins.  So it may take me quite a while to get my second Heritage guitar.   :)

I was a Contracting Officer on the DEW line for only a little over a year -- 1983-1984 -- a long time ago.   I am not even sure if it is still in operation.   A trip up there any time of year is amazing.  From Churchill north the land is really unique.

Scott 

8 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

I put the 535 back into the rotation.  I have always been impressed with how slim they are.

dscf0664_std.jpg

Wow, another great looking guitar.  My 535 arrived and it is really the most beautiful guitar I have every had.  I will post a picture soon.  I never played a guitar with a Bigsby.  Thanks for the picture.  :)  Scott

24 minutes ago, WScott said:

Okay, here is my new H-535 -- The most beautiful guitar I have ever owned.   Sorry if the picture is not the best.  :(   Scott

H535-3.thumb.JPG.8c6043012929ffe232b5b6877ecc6b6a.JPG

Sweet and Lovely. Welcome to the 535 Party!

On 12/16/2018 at 8:51 PM, bolero said:

congrats!!

you cannot get a better guitar than a H535, IMO

Hello again.    I have noticed you have been a Heritage owner for a long time.  I was wondering what you think of the way it is going under the new ownership, especially since the personnel firings?  Have any of the "old" employees returned?   There were quality issues in 2017-2018 according in to some distributors.  Have these been corrected?   Or are these topics that are not discussed on this board?

I am thinking of getting a brand new Heritage guitar and I think the questions are relevant and worth discussing - if they do not get me or anyone else booted off the forum.

Thanks, Scott

17 minutes ago, WScott said:

I am thinking of getting a brand new Heritage guitar and I think the questions are relevant and worth discussing - if they do not get me or anyone else booted off the forum.

Thanks, Scott

Go for it. They are still building great guitars although current prices are higher than a few years ago. There are several threads on this topic if you do a search.  Nobody got booted for posting their opinions.

Archived