Heritage Owners Club

Bridge pickup?

big bob

So I’m playing my super cool custom prospect, just jamming it out when the keyboard player says “hey can someone help me with bring in the pa”. I’m a good guy so I say sure. I put the amp on standby and lend a hand. When I come back I switch on the amp and get no volume? I check all the cords and long story short the bridge pickup has almost no volume at all. If I crank the amp up to 6 I get a real week signal. Everything else works fine. Neck pup, neck pup + bridge has no volume loss? 

Lollar dogear p-90s 

Plug a cable in, switch to the pickup and read the resistance (volume wide open).   If its near zero, you have a short, if its got an open spot, you'll see very high resistance. 

You might try moving the wires around on the harness.   When I was rewiring my 535,  I used the vintage braid wire, and somehow, the ground braid managed to hit the tab on one of the pots and the pickup went dead.  Pulled the harness and everything read fine.   I put shrink tubing over the cable to prevent that from happening again.

PS,  I would be glad to come down and do the rewiring.   I'll only charge you $150/hour plus travel expenses.   Oh yeah, when I rewired my 535 it took me something like NINE hours.  You might have a nice bottle of bourbon there as well, just to calm me down when I have to take the harness out AGAIN!  :hissyfit:

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

Plug a cable in, switch to the pickup and read the resistance (volume wide open).   If its near zero, you have a short, if its got an open spot, you'll see very high resistance. 

You might try moving the wires around on the harness.   When I was rewiring my 535,  I used the vintage braid wire, and somehow, the ground braid managed to hit the tab on one of the pots and the pickup went dead.  Pulled the harness and everything read fine.   I put shrink tubing over the cable to prevent that from happening again.

PS,  I would be glad to come down and do the rewiring.   I'll only charge you $150/hour plus travel expenses.   Oh yeah, when I rewired my 535 it took me something like NINE hours.  You might have a nice bottle of bourbon there as well, just to calm me down when I have to take the harness out AGAIN!  :hissyfit:

Yeah yeah, you ain't never comin to Florida I can guarantee that one!

agree with Rich: I bet you have some crossed wires in the controls grounding out, or maybe a wire came detached from a pot?

wiggling the cables around inside might get you some sound?

or a dental mirror + light could give you visuals

good luck!

On 12/28/2018 at 3:32 PM, TalismanRich said:

Oh yeah, when I rewired my 535 it took me something like NINE hours.  You might have a nice bottle of bourbon there as well, just to calm me down when I have to take the harness out AGAIN!  :hissyfit:

The bourbon's likely why it took nine hours....

Archived