Heritage Owners Club

An H-140 Prototype?

ThePickupArtist

Hi everyone,

I've been a Heritage collector for a couple of years now, and I've just purchased an H-140 with a "D" code. It has phase/kill switches like a 162 or a 204 DD, and, it's "Rhythm/Treble" selector switch is down by the volume and tone knobs. Given that in '87, Heritage was experimenting with the Diving Ducks, and developing the 140, could this be a prototype I've purchased, or, did they build them this way for the first year or two? I've seen other '87 140's and they've all had the "standard" configuration the the Rhythm switch on top, and no toggle switches. Could this have been ordered by someone with this configuration? I bought it at a Guitar Center 50-minutes from Kalamazoo, where an ex-employee or an original customer might have sold it locally? I know, that's grasping at straws, but, of all the 140's I've seen in the past couple years on Reverb and eBay, I've never come across one like this. 

IMG_0678.JPG

i don't think its any type of prototype. There is a photo of another with the same system from a few years back.   It was in this thread 

image.png.7e9554a25d55a028f693ed8aa67163b5.png

The switches look like Rendalls  VIP system which allows you to put pickups into single coil mode or change phase.   I'm thinking that putting the selector switch makes it much easier to wire the VIP>   I've seen Millies with the selector in the LP position, rather than on the lower horn.   Heritage did a lot of custom work over the years.

Have you looked at the label that is in the control cavity?    It would likely spell out any custom features.  

The VIP wiring system was offered as an option.   

I didn't see a price for the VIP but I saw where a person said  that when they order a Prospect , it was a $350 option to add HRW pickups and the VIP system. 

Here’s the label, I’m not sure where to find out (other than this forum from more knowledgeable than I), how to decipher it. It looks to read “APC SP” “JP Monts” “”Bell Paigs” then Jim Deurloo’s signature and one other. It’s hard to find info on old models, so anyone knowledgeable out there, your kindness and willingness to inform me would be extremely appreciated!

A291FA6D-1D47-4378-9951-9CCC793825B4.jpeg

Just replied in your other thread. Hadn't seen this one. Wonder what the "SP" stands for? Oh, and that is "Bill Paige" below JP's siggy. Along with Jim Deurloo and Marv Lamb. Original owners. Nice find. 

1 hour ago, ThePickupArtist said:

Here’s the label, I’m not sure where to find out (other than this forum from more knowledgeable than I), how to decipher it. It looks to read “APC SP” “JP Monts” “”Bell Paigs” then Jim Deurloo’s signature and one other. It’s hard to find info on old models, so anyone knowledgeable out there, your kindness and willingness to inform me would be extremely appreciated!

Nice !    The APC refers to the pickups.. a custom order.    The  four signatures are the owners of Heritage at the time..   JP Moats, Bill Paige, Jim Deurloo, and Marvin Lamb.   

Not sure about the SP... Probably just signifying that it is a Special order. 

( ha.. looks like Kenny beat me to it...   ) 

One other item of note,  the bridge and tailpiece are not the standard Schaller units.   Either the original order spec'd those, or they were upgraded at some point.    The painted pickguard is more in line with the H150 Deluxe.    Standard H140s had a cream plastic guard.

Their early catalogue had some experimental stuff in it,based on the 140.I think,in the beginning,they would do you just about ant pup /switching configuration you wanted.They were searching for saleable product.My H 140 is from 1986..a great guitar,and my 575 is from 1988..another fabulous instrument.Enjoy.

image.jpeg

45 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

Picture of the first Heritage.  H-140

First Heritage.JPG

Nice red maple top.  Is it serendipity that they started with that?

When was that photo taken?   It has to be in the Plaza time-frame simply because of the cleanliness.

I see the 12-string, 1-piece neck.  Was that your 12-string guitar Skydog52?  Wait a minute; that's a Gibbon Headstock!  When was that taken?

1 hour ago, Steiner said:

Nice red maple top.  Is it serendipity that they started with that?

When was that photo taken?   It has to be in the Plaza time-frame simply because of the cleanliness.

I see the 12-string, 1-piece neck.  Was that your 12-string guitar Skydog52?  Wait a minute; that's a Gibbon Headstock!  When was that taken?

I took that at the 100 Year Celebration that they had.  I'll start a thread on the pictures I have.

16 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Was that the one that hung on the wall in the buffing room at the bottom of the steps?

Yes

Archived