Heritage Owners Club

"Cut"

Spectrum13

I figure a few of us are in their 50's and 60's and might not be able to hear the full spectrum from 20hz to 20,000 hz.

If you have a tube amp with a "cut" or presence control, how much of a roll off in the higher frequencies do you hear when you turn the nobs? 

I'm the guy you are describing.  I'm losing the highs on my hearing test (took one about a month ago).  I'm still in the normal range but the highs are dropping off.  When I play with the presence knob I don't hear a big difference.  I'm not happy about it either... :mad_mini:

I've lost a chunk off the top end, I've noticed that cymbals don't have the same shimmer that I remember from years ago.   I still hear a difference in the presence control on my Patriot.   It affects not only the frequency balance, but I think it changes the distortion on the top end.   Unfortunately to get that amp into distortion, it has to be pretty loud.  

My other amps don't have a presence control.

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

I've lost a chunk off the top end, I've noticed that cymbals don't have the same shimmer that I remember from years ago.   I still hear a difference in the presence control on my Patriot.   It affects not only the frequency balance, but I think it changes the distortion on the top end.   Unfortunately to get that amp into distortion, it has to be pretty loud.  

My other amps don't have a presence control.

Speaking of Heritage Patriot amps...I've been turning the volume up on mine a little bit each year in direct proportion to my diminishing hearing. 

Sounds the same to me.  Plus, now I don't hear my wife yelling at me to turn that darn thing down any more!!

I joke a lot about playing really loud but all my years of drumming I always wore hearing protection while playing and I only crank the guitar amps up really loud for very short duration until my ears start ringing. Even riding on my Harley I will sometimes wear hearing protection. It's been a few years since I entered my 50's and I can still hear really well. Like REALLY well. I can hear the cricket chirp ringer app that only kids are supposed to be able to hear (the notification sound kids use so their parents can't hear when they get called or pinged by a friend on their smart phones). Back in the 70's I was always able to hear closed circuit security camera systems walking into the big department stores and I can still hear stuff like that now. I think all those years of wearing hearing protection has helped me a lot these days. I have long been an advocate for hearing protection.

It's my eyes that are starting to give me trouble. Nobody told me that when I got past 50 I was going to need reading glasses to see things up close.

4 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Speaking of Heritage Patriot amps...I've been turning the volume up on mine a little bit each year in direct proportion to my diminishing hearing. 

Sounds the same to me.  Plus, now I don't hear my wife yelling at me to turn that darn thing down any more!!

LOL

Archived