Heritage Owners Club

New Heritage Pricing vs. New Gibson Pricing

Gitfiddler

Are the new Heritages one piece bodies? I don’t know if it really makes a difference in tone but it is something I look for in an LP type guitar. My 150 and Collings CL have it. I think without it the 150 is comparable to the G standards. Custom shop should be a single piece body and not a heavy piece either. If the new 150s are single piece and have a total weight (no-relieved) in the 8.5- low 9 lbs range then they are comparable and a great bargain too. 

4 hours ago, zguitar71 said:

Are the new Heritages one piece bodies? I don’t know if it really makes a difference in tone but it is something I look for in an LP type guitar. My 150 and Collings CL have it. I think without it the 150 is comparable to the G standards. Custom shop should be a single piece body and not a heavy piece either. If the new 150s are single piece and have a total weight (no-relieved) in the 8.5- low 9 lbs range then they are comparable and a great bargain too. 

Usually no, but used to be the normal build spec.  You can custom order it, or at least you could.

My 150 GT is a single piece body and weighs in the low 9s and I would not hesitate to compare it to an R6. Once you get into the Custom shop G stuff the prices are over the top at that point it is time to go with Collings or other builder imo. Its my guess that a custom 150 built to the historic G specs would still be far less than a G brand LP too. All that aside, to compete with the LP standard on MF or GC they should price the 150 at $1999.  That might be impossible though.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, TalismanRich said:

Is that one of the Vintage 54s that they put out for the 60th anniv where they made 1954 of them?   I picked up a used one for $1100.   Nice fun guitar.   Its only the second Fender that I've ever owned.

Sure is! That's a hell of a choice for being a second Fender. 

About 6 years ago, I wanted to get a Les Paul Custom.  Gibson was maybe about $3,700?.  I priced out a Heritage H-157 - $2,795 with upgrade top and it's an LW model (7.5 lbs).  Probably had $500 in upgrades - Pretty nice.  The Heritage made sense to me, so I bought it.

I recently (last week) asked Heritage (by email) what a new one would cost. I'm not sure the guy who responded to my email could read - he didn't get all the specifications correct (which I'm sure would have made it cost more, not less).  They said $3,999, with 1/2 the money down, the other half on delivery.  And it would take 6 to 12 months.  Currently a Gibson Les Paul Custom is going for $4,400.  If I had to make the choice today, I'll probably go with the Gibson.  But I'd probably look for a used Gibson or Heritage.  I don't think I would give any guitar builder that kind of a deposit.  YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

I had an experience similar to Buckyrock.  About 2 years ago I ordered a custom H535 through a dealer, and it was affordable.  Last week, I inquired through the Heritage website about a H150 in dirty lemon with the only upgrade being an oversized neck.  The quote was for a couple hundred bucks less than Buckyrock's quote.  I ended up buying a used Gibson R8.

I think the 137 sits above the new Special and is in the territory between the new one and the reissue Special that is $3500. The problem is most people don’t see the difference between the 137 and entry level Gibson special  It is hard for Heritage to get the sale in this situation. There are factors that make a difference beyond wood like electronics too. 

16 minutes ago, zguitar71 said:

I think the 137 sits above the new Special and is in the territory between the new one and the reissue Special that is $3500. The problem is most people don’t see the difference between the 137 and entry level Gibson special  It is hard for Heritage to get the sale in this situation. There are factors that make a difference beyond wood like electronics too. 

I've often thought the same thing.  When you have a stripped down model with the bare essentials, one would expect to be priced a little comparable.  Its the only Heritage whose comparable Gibson model is significantly less.

Only real difference is the Gig-Bag versus Hardshell Case.

Gibson LP Special per GC: $999

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-P-90-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

Heritage H137 per GC: $1899

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Heritage/Standard-H-137-Electric-Guitar.gc

55 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

I've often thought the same thing.  When you have a stripped down model with the bare essentials, one would expect to be priced a little comparable.  Its the only Heritage whose comparable Gibson model is significantly less.

Only real difference is the Gig-Bag versus Hardshell Case.

Gibson LP Special per GC: $999

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Special-P-90-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

Heritage H137 per GC: $1899

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Heritage/Standard-H-137-Electric-Guitar.gc

Well if the Gibson is a single piece body like the Heritage then a person would be crazy to spend twice the money. Even with a two piece body that is a great price. The electronics can be striped and changed for $300 to a set of boutique P90s of any flavor you would desire. Gibson isn’t making much on those. 

Archived