Heritage Owners Club

Preamp Tube Overdrive : Which Triodes are producing it?

So, as always I'm rolling tubes like a fiend, trying to find the "best" mix, and having access to the schematics definitely helps in this.  The question is, in a preamp design that has 5 triodes in the signal path before the phase inverter, which ones are the ones producing the overdrive?  I was looking at the schematics and manual for my Stiletto, and it has the following signal path for the gain channels:

V2A: Input Driver Stage followed by Gain control

V1A: Second Gain Stage

V2B: Third Gain Stage

V3A: Fourth Gain Stage

v3B: Fifth Gain Stage (cathode Follower before tone stack).

So, looking at this, I would assume that Gain Stages 2 3 and 4 are the triodes being driven into clipping. Am I reading this wrong? I would also assume that the cathode follower is not being driven into clipping.

The fun in rolling glass comes primarily from the 12A_7 closest to the amps guitar input.

12 hours ago, Steiner said:

The fun in rolling glass comes primarily from the 12A_7 closest to the amps guitar input.

With the Stiletto, The input driver stages for 3 of the modes are on V1, while the input driver for the other 2 are on V2. Not really sure why mesa did it this way, but they did. The other triodes in V1 and B2 are post "gain" control gain stages. But, at least I can read Mesa Boogie Schematics. I don't know how to read Marshall and Rivera schematics.

Archived