Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 535 Vs. Gibson 335 Video - Peach Music

Jaguarguy

Peach Guitars is just around the corner from me - well, a couple of miles away ;) I was very surprised to see a wall full of Heritage about six weeks ago, and in their premium room too. I had a good look at the seven or so guitars on show - all H-150's and H-535's aside from a solitary H-530. That was the one I took down and sat with for about ten minutes. Fit and finish were better than I remembered from my mid 1990s and early 2000s models. Playing that guitar, unplugged, was a pleasure - nicely balanced and well set up for a guitar hanging on display. The latter aspect, I don't doubt, was Peach Guitars' attention to detail. The former was all Heritage's care and craftsmanship. 

It took me back a little; I haven't played or owned a Heritage for a several years now but, for quite a while, I had owned quite a few models and enjoyed them all. I coveted the H-530 about six years ago, before I found other guitars built in ways that felt more at home in my hands and with my playing style. That 530 was a beauty though :)

When people or shops review two competing brands they should 1) tell the audience what the settings on the amp are and keep them identical for the entire time. I assume they kept the the same but it is nice to have that stated. 2) play the same songs and riffs on each guitar! And play CLEAN and dirty. 3) give the msrp or street price of the guitars too  

As far as the results from my ears I liked the G brand pickups a little more but that doesn’t really mater because pickups and electronics can be changed any time. The cost difference and playing experience would be the factor in my buying decision. So... that probably would go to the Heritage. I would change the pickups and volume pots on either guitar anyway, I have particular stuff that I always use. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nowadays with "G" having a multitude of factory installed pups what REALLY is a 335? MHS? BB's? 57's? Aged Lollartron? None of these sound anywhere near the same.  So, how do you compare anything to a moving target like a 335?

Add to that the trend in "demos" to saturate whatever native sound the git has with overdrive (or whatever the amp / pedal maker calls it) comparisons like this are useless. I couldn't sit past the first minute.

For me, THE 335 sound is with 57's installed hands down. My fave in Heritage is Schallers. I don't want another "G", I have that covered, if I didn't I'd get a 535 and put 57's in it :-)

Archived