Heritage Owners Club

School me on the H-170

lolo

Hi everyone, new member here.

I've bought a H-137 a year ago, outstanding instrument however I've never bond with it as much as I wished (a bit too heavy).
I've just sold it but I need an heritage in my life!
The H-170 might be the one I'm looking for, since the body is thinner than a regular LP.

I've been eyeing on this one : https://reverb.com/ca/item/18866705-vintage-1986-the-heritage-h-170-antique-cherry-sunburst-electric-guitar

From what I've read there are two different models depending on the year... could you tell me more?
What's your opinion on this particular model?

thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 140 or 170 thinner than a 137? A 140 might be the easiest alternative to find, and a 170 is basically dual-cutaway version of the 140.

My guess is that a 170 is going to weigh just a little more than an SG, and probably less than a 137 (which is structured like a Les Paul Jr.).

If the H137 was too heavy for you, then the H140 will probably be as well.   It is slightly thinner on the rim at 1.5 vs 1.75 inches, but you also have the carved maple cap which can add some thickness in the middle.   A lot will depend on the pieces of wood used.

My H-140 ('87 model) is 3660 grams or 8.06 lbs.   I just looked at a few 137s on Reverb and they were running from 7.7 to 8.5 lbs.  I saw one review from Premier Guitar, and they said theirs was 9.5 lbs.   That one seems to be unusual.  What is the actual weight of yours?  

FYI,   My H-535 was 21 grams heavier than the 140,  but my Millennium was 225 grams lighter at 7.7 lbs.   The H-530 might be the ticket here,   still has P90s and with no center block it should be lighter than a 535.   It won't be good for a loud, high gain environment though.

I have an H-150, 140, 137 and 170, In order of weight it is 150, 170, 137 and then 140. I have been playing the 140 a lot during the past week and it is really a cool guitar. It is quite a bit lighter than the others and has a thinner tone, but I don't mean that in a negative way at all. It is also easier to play. the wood seems a bit less dense than the other three.

I had an ‘01 H-170 (that I really miss). It weighed in at 8.5 lbs.So it was not much, if any lighter than an H-140 or H-150. My current ‘93 H-137 weighs in at 7.9lbs.

weight is not my main concern, I like the idea of a thinner body.
From what I understand, 170 and 140 have the same body thickness, only 170 is DC right?

But I thought there was two kinds of 170 (different horns) ?

My H-170 is from the 80s and it is different from the newer ones. I havn't measured but it seems thicker than my 140. I will check it out when I get home later. They definitely sound different even though I have the same Dimarzio Anniversary PAF's in both. The H-170 has a fatter LP type sound with the 140 having a nice kind of.....I don't know how to describe it....just different.

Another good option is a H150P from the early/mid 90's.

I held one up compared to my H150GT over the weekend, and the 150P was so much lighter and thinner.

To clarify, H150P is a thinner body guitar, like a 140, but the full size bouts and waist of a 150.  Instead of a mahogany body, its made of poplar.  Might be a bit snapper, but still sounded great to me.

(150GT means a Gold Top)

Also, going back to the 170 question.   Often you'll read about Generation 1 and 2 on the 170 and the 140.  One significant difference is generation 1 has an unbound neck with dot inlays.  On the 140's, the cutaway went to a softer, more rounded cutaway horn than the generation 1.   I think the cutaway horns on the 170 remained the same.

3 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Also, going back to the 170 question.   Often you'll read about Generation 1 and 2 on the 170 and the 140.  One significant difference is generation 1 has an unbound neck with dot inlays.  On the 140's, the cutaway went to a softer, more rounded cutaway horn than the generation 1.   I think the cutaway horns on the 170 remained the same.

thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

I definitely am tempted by the 170, I've got a melody maker, an sg .... I like the double cut.

My 137 has humbuckers in it.  It weighs the same as my buddy's H150 Special.  The special  is a thinner bodied 150.  Even with the maple cap it is the same weight as the 137.  Strange. 

12 hours ago, lolo said:

thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

I definitely am tempted by the 170, I've got a melody maker, an sg .... I like the double cut.

Another thing to keep in mind is the hardware/pickups on the early models was Schaller and since become TonePros and Seymour Duncan.

My $.02 worth:  my 150p (W serial no.) checks in at 8.03#, my 140 (V serial no.) at 8.02#, my 120 at 8.1#, my 535 at 8.05# and my Epi dot 335 at 8.1#.  There seems to be a pattern here!  Or all my measurements are off!

Archived