Heritage Owners Club

Is it sacreligious to put Gibson pickups in a Heritage?

PunkKitty

It would be sacrilege only if replacing HRWs. Otherwise,  replacing any other type with '57 Classics? Sure. P-90s? Absolutely. Maybe even Burstbuckers.

16 minutes ago, CJTopes said:

I replaced my HRWs I’m my Millie DC with Prearly  Gates. I hope that wasn’t sacrilege

I'm thinking of replacing the '59s in my new Millie with either Pearly Gates, Seth Lovers, or Lollar Imperials. I'm not sure which way I'll go with that. I never was a big fan of 59s.

When I got my first H-150.. I loved the pickups in it (still do).  I didn't bother to check out what they are for a long time, because they worked well in that guitar.  Eventually I pulled them and found a Seth Lover at the neck and a Burstbucker one (under wound Burstbucker) at the bridge.  When it works , it works. No problem that one is a Gibby. 

On 3/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, PunkKitty said:

I'm thinking of replacing the '59s in my new Millie with either Pearly Gates, Seth Lovers, or Lollar Imperials. I'm not sure which way I'll go with that. I never was a big fan of 59s.

I think the Pearly Gates bridge PUP is a bit harsh and don't use it much. That may be because the guitar is all maple too.

What I do a lot is use the middle position and blend the two as needed. I can also split the coils for lots of different possibilities. 

34 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

Personally I think Gibson Custom-buckers hang with any boutiques!

Daniel's always in front of it.  My Custom Shop Goldtop came with Custom Buckers.  I auditioned them briefly, and they were fantastic!  The only reason I yanked them was to put in real PAF's.  I've often pondered the notion of putting the Custom Buckers into my 20th Anniversary 150, which has had a set of Tom Short Tom Bucker Marc Fords in it for quite a while.  Jeez...was that a criminal offense...?

2 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Daniel's always in front of it.  My Custom Shop Goldtop came with Custom Buckers.  I auditioned them briefly, and they were fantastic!  The only reason I yanked them was to put in real PAF's.  I've often pondered the notion of putting the Custom Buckers into my 20th Anniversary 150, which have had a set of Tom Short Tom Bucker Marc Fords in it for quite a while.  Jeez...was that a criminal offense...?

I've had my Tom Shorts (excellent pickups) for awhile but I still prefer Custombuckers, maybe you should try it Roberto! I like the weaker magnets and the low output of the custombuckers! They have a hollowness not unlike the originals:)

17 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

I've had my Tom Shorts (excellent pickups) for awhile but I still prefer Custombuckers, maybe you should try it Roberto! I like the weaker magnets and the low output of the custombuckers! They have a hollowness not unlike the originals:)

Well, that, and the fact I'll likely not be excommunicated for doing it is probably enough to get me to heat up the soldering iron tomorrow.  All any of us needs is a little enabling.  Thanks, Dan'l! 

4 minutes ago, yoslate said:

Well, that, and the fact I'll likely not be excommunicated for doing it is probably enough to get me to heat up the soldering iron tomorrow.  All any of us needs is a little enabling.  Thanks, Dan'l! 

Ooh the smell of fresh solder in the morning :) Post back with the results Professor!

How could it be a sacrilege to replace the Schaller's with a Gibson's? I kind of thought it sacrilegious to put the Schaller's in the older heritages in the first place.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, PunkKitty said:

I have Lollar Imperials in my 137 custom.  I think they are fine pups. 

On 3/24/2019 at 4:13 PM, PunkKitty said:

IMO any of those 3 options would be great choices

• 3 weeks later...

Not sacrilegious but your mojo may be adversely effected. There is an exorcism ceremony I'm sure ha ha.

Really the companies are kissing cousins so what's the harm?

BTY, when was Gibson using the Custombuckers in their CS stuff?

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, CJTopes said:

I replaced my HRWs I’m my Millie DC with Prearly  Gates. I hope that wasn’t sacrilege

HRWs aren't for everyone (or every application). I find the bridge HRW in my Millie to be a love/hate thing. Sometimes, I love how it cuts through, other times it just seems too bright for anything I want to use it for.

In comparison, I've hated the recent Gibson pickups in every guitar I've had them in. There's a certain "raspiness" that's always there. Duncans always improve the situation, IMHO. On the bright side, Gibson pickups always command a nice aftermarket price for me whenever I pull them out of a guitar!

My old Norlin-era Les Pauls had nice pickups, though.

Archived