Heritage Owners Club

What's the Low Down?

Finished my project bass.

OLP MM2 Bass.

Spent too much on parts, but it went from a Passive Bass to a Passive Pickup with On-board Aguilar OBP-3TKPP 3-Band Boost/Cut On Board Bass Preamp w/Push Pull.  

Not a bad upgrade to add to any Bass, except I had to route a battery box on the back side.

not sure about the resale value now, but I've never had a bass before.

Now I need an amp.  Looking for a used, inexpensive bass amp I can use at home or with a band.  Nothing fancy, but looking for suggestions.  Is there a Peavey Bandit type solid state sleeper bass amp out there?

Both the Fender and the Carvin are excellent choices, but if you can get your hands on a Hartke rig Josh, they are a good value and a solid bass amp. Especially the cabs with the aluminum cone drivers.  I have Hartke cabs in  1x15, a 4x10 and a 2x10 so I have choices when I go out and play, mix and match. I would say for your needs, a 1x12 or a 2x10 would work out perfect for you. If you go with a separate head and cabinet OR combo, make sure you get at least 150 watts. I found out that the smaller bedroom sized bass amps will distort when cranking them up, so you want to have some headroom. My two bass heads are both Hartke also and one is 200w and the other 350w. 

Playing the bass through my iPad software last night.  Sounds really good, but when I recorded it and tried to make a backing track, I realize I'm absolutely horrible with timing.  I cannot hold a steady tempo for the life of me.   I can solo like a champ in terms of rhythm, not ability, for timing, but I cannot seem to hold a steady tempo for bass or rhythm guitar.

1 hour ago, t0aj15 said:

Try using a drum machine or metronome.

I'm trying... Getting the metronome beat to the timing I want is a pain.  The included tracks have bass tracks on them already.  There is a learning curve here, I'm sure I'll figure it out.  Hoping it will make me a better musician.

13 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Playing the bass through my iPad software last night.  Sounds really good, but when I recorded it and tried to make a backing track, I realize I'm absolutely horrible with timing.  I cannot hold a steady tempo for the life of me.   I can solo like a champ in terms of rhythm, not ability, for timing, but I cannot seem to hold a steady tempo for bass or rhythm guitar.

try a click track for tempo. 

On 3/28/2019 at 9:41 AM, DetroitBlues said:

Bass guitar playing and drumming are tied very closely. I am not a very good bass player, but my timing is great. I agree with Tim, try a metronome or click track to improve that. Count aloud in your head also

On 3/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, PunkKitty said:

As a bassist, I'd love to play through a cabinet like that. They are just hard to move. I'll stick with my Carvin bass stack.

I'm quite certain that I'll NEVER get rid of my Carvin bass amp setup.
MB210 combo with a vintage 1x18 extension cabinet.

Archived