Heritage Owners Club

Which guitar to choose

Metalheart

Hi everyone, I have a decision to make about which Heritage guitar to purchase. Originally, I thought about getting a Les Paul Jr. However, you don't really see these guitars in Australia. I have seen the new Gibson DC Jr but I was not impressed. I thought to myself, I am a basic guitar player, so I will buy the most basic Heritage guitar, the H-137. So I put a lay-buy on a TV yellow H-137 and it has been all paid for bar $50, and it has just been waiting for me to pick up (500 Kms away). In the last few days I am wondering if I should just get the H-150 instead, since it wouldn't cost that much more.

I have never played a Heritage guitar ever as until recently they have been very rare in Australia. I have never played p90 pick-ups either.

I guess a lot will come down to how I feel after playing both.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of each guitar, is it a no brainer, what are your thoughts? I will be walking away with a Heritage either way in about two weeks.

Oh, it will be my blues guitar and I will normally use either a Vase Tonesetter 18 or JTM style amplifier.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't go wrong with a 150.  I've had both and still have the 150s.  The 137 seemed like a lot of money for no more guitar than it was.  Also, I would be cautious of anything built prior to the factory changes.  All of the Heritage guitars I've had needed new nuts and the bridge saddles re-slotted because of being cut with uneven spacing one of them had some not so good fretwork..  After these issues were fixed the guitars are excellent.  My newest is a 2017 and it had these issues.  My friend has a 2018 H-150 and his was perfect without any of these issues from day one.  Good luck in your search.

Josh

I couldn't comapre H150 with Humbuckers to H137 with P90s, maybe the 150 could be a better start as I think it's more versatile

the search for a guitar can take a long time

1 hour ago, Gianluca said:

I couldn't comapre H150 with Humbuckers to H137 with P90s, maybe the 150 could be a better start as I think it's more versatile

the search for a guitar can take a long time

This,  If you are driving 500 k and they have a 137 and a 150, play both and decide. You might like a bound neck, lighter weight,  or humbuckers over P90's.

Wow, what a question to ask!

Well, an H150 will out Les Paul a Les Paul, beautiful guitars with you usual style Humbuckers. On the whole I would go for the H150, I think long term you might enjoy owning it more. However, I would certainly put the H137 on the wish list. If you have never payed a P90 loaded guitar, I think you would enjoy the sound and tones, you can turn down the pick ups without losing tonal clarity yet if you overdrive them they are really good for some attacking lead. I had a Gibson twin pick up Les Paul Junior double cutaway with P90's and it was a nice guitar.

If you like the H150, but like the sound of the P90's better, you can always buy some P94 pick ups, which are just humbucker sized P90's, a few good pick up makers build them.

Good luck!

Potato/Potahto      Tomato/Tomahto     I own both and love both for different reasons.

P 90s have a cool grind to them, Humbuckers are smoother.

137's have a rawness to them and H-150's a little more elegant.

The only drawback for the 137 is that P 90s hum a little.

1 hour ago, yoslate said:

H-137:  A ribeye steak, rare, and a baked potato.  H-150:  Beef Wellington with fingerling potatoes, warm wilted winter greens, and Waldorf salad.  

Someone just finished a bike ride and has yet to have lunch.

For blues I would rather have the H150 for the clean neck pickup tone as an alternative to the bite of the bridge pickup, but really it comes down to the individual guitar as I'm sure the right H137 setup right could inspire you to play great. let us know what you wind up with.

Here's some blues riffing on my H150 where you can hear the different pickup tones....

Ginger/Maryanne? Wow! You guys are really dating yourselves.....Ginger and Maryanne were old when Heritage was founded.

Hey Rockabilly, Loved your tone. That amp had a nice break up with the H-150. What was it?

On 4/7/2019 at 8:26 PM, Vanschoyck said:

150 Ginger, 137 Maryanne.

535 Ginger - 137 Maryanne - 150 Genie. 

Uh, June Cleaver in a Pearl necklace?

Wow, great tone and playing Daniel.

I am leaning towards the H-150 but I will still play them both.

I have to travel to university residential school, so I will get it on my way back and upload some photos.

I'm thinking maybe vintage cherry sunburst colour.

Thanks everyone.

Archived