Heritage Owners Club

HISTORIC H157....WHEN HERITAGE WAS BENDING THE RULES

brentrocks

I know...I'm a Heritage whore!   I cant help it.

I found this historic piece last week.   This is a 1990 H157.

To most, it looks like a typical Heritage 157...but look closely!!!   The early H157s and H150s were rumored to have been made with leftover Gibson bodies that were left behind when Gibson left Kalamazoo in 1984.   Heritage started production in 1985.  This H157's body is the same shape as a Gibson Les Paul Custom!!!

Heritage was threated to be sued by Gibson in 1991 for the body styles of the H157, H150 and the H357 (firebird)

So.....Heritage changed the style of the horn cut on their single cut solid body guitars.

This is one of the early, "pre lawsuit" H157s!

This guitar has all the features of a Les Paul Custom.   Mahogany body with a flame maple cap, mahogany neck, ebony board, multi ply binding on the body and peghead and gold hardware.

This baby was a mess when I received it.   It had been played....a lot.   I decided to give this guitar the glamor shots makeover!!!  Tone pros locking bridge and tailpiece, locking grover tuners, 1981 Gibson Shaw PAFs (early 137 stamps), and a through buffing and cleanup!!!!

The frets have a lot of wear, but it still plays great!   It has a thinner, 60s style neck.  It weighs in at an average LPC....9.5 lbs.

The tone from this guitar is absolutely incredible!!!!   Its so woody and warm!!!  The Shaws and just a great PAF!!!!

40733671223_ef459cced6_k.jpgIMG_0790 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

32756808177_0900ead72e_k.jpgIMG_0808 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

47646943672_6f5e39607a_k.jpgIMG_0805 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

47700086841_f4d90b2f25_k.jpgIMG_0803 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

47700087061_f5de515ef7_k.jpgIMG_0799 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

47646944282_303e5d8dde_k.jpgIMG_0797 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

47646944542_4272215538_k.jpgIMG_0795 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

47700088011_872010a0d6_k.jpgIMG_0794 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

I always like the H157.   That's why it was my first Heritage.

Nice choice with the tuners.   For some reason, I like the look of ivory buttons, especially with the binding around the headstock.     The metal kidney buttons are fine for a standard unbound one.

That's cool, a little blingy for my taste with the blue flame but a nice guitar nonetheless. 

As for the Gibson body thing I've not yet seen a Les Paul Custom from the late Norlin era that had a 2 piece back, nor a standard for that matter, however the then new lower budget "studio standard/customs" did have multi piece backs IIRC. Also, for it to be a Gibson body it'd have to have been an unworked body as the control routs wouldn't match up at all. Then take into consideration you've a studio body back yet a highly flamed matched 2 piece top? That's a HUGE stretch there. There's nothing wrong w/2 piece body backs though IMO, but I prefer them at a certain price point!

That that is that Blue one from Parkland music one that was here last week. That is the best $1300 one could spend! Have fun with it!

wow that is nice! congrats, Brent!

"The early H157s and H150s were rumored to have been made with leftover Gibson bodies that were left behind when Gibson left Kalamazoo in 1984. "

never heard of that before, source?

Yes, Pressure I remember the necks too. There where LP, V, Explorer bodies as well. Does anyone else remember all the banjo parts and acoustic guitar bins with parts, tops and backs?

Brent, that 5D3 is very kind to this guitar.  When are you selling the camera?

The pups look better without the covers.  What a pretty guitar.  My first 150 was probably one of these.  It was all black but had the slimmest neck on it.  If it weren't 12 pounds I might still own it.  

19 hours ago, bolero said:

wow that is nice! congrats, Brent!

"The early H157s and H150s were rumored to have been made with leftover Gibson bodies that were left behind when Gibson left Kalamazoo in 1984. "

never heard of that before, source?

There is lots of folklore floating around surrounding G and H, as they are almost joined by the hip right? It's fun reading and speculating about it too!! Only Ren knows the truth....

Archived