Heritage Owners Club

NUAD: Rivera Pubster 25 1x10 Combo

Yeah, I've got the fever, the fever to have an amplifier that uses every type of major power tube, and the one that I don't have is a 6V6. I saw a Rivera Pubster 25 pop up locally a few weeks ago, but I was kinda 'meh' about it, because I hadn't actually researched it. Well, I did, and then I decided it was worth getting, especially at the price. I also have heard this amp is pretty much a "modern" take on the Rivera-era Fender Super Champ, so I went for it.

It's a really simple amp setup, single channel with a "boost" mode, which is pretty much like a 2 channel amp with a shared EQ. It has master volume controls for both the regular and boost mode, reverb and also a presence control.  The volume for the standard mode also effects the "boost" mode, so you can get some interesting sounds with both the regular and boost mode.  It's got a standard T/R/S/ footswitch jack for the boost and reverb, though I rarely see these for sale with the FS-20 Rivera footswitch, which does actually have LEDs. Aftermarket ones are about 40-50 bucks. I have a bunch of carvin FS-22 switches around though, so I'll probably use those, as the amp also has LEDS on the faceplate indicating the mode it is in.

Sound is surprisingly good. The amplifier came with an Eminence Legend 10 inch speaker, though I don't know what exact model it is. Haven't gotten a chance to get inside yet.  Amp is solidly built. It does however only have 2 preamp tubes, one for the EQ/Dirt/Preamp and one for the Phase inverter. The reverb is solid state driven, which I know some people are down on, but it's a real spring unit, and sounds good.  It came with Groove Tubes GT-6V6-C tubes, which are a Chinese design made only for Groove Tubes. Currently there's a Sovtek LPS in V1, and a JJ ECC83S in V2, which should change shortly.

It's a bit dusty, so I'll post some pictures when I get it cleaned up. Also the speaker cable is some bad splice job onto the original jack. no idea why anyone would do that. It'll be replaced shortly. Until then here's a stand in picture:

pubster25.jpg

3 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

That's a cool little grab-n-go rig.  They also make a head version.

It is! Nice sound, even through a 10 inch speaker. I kinda wish the Carvin Vintage 16 had a 10 inch. I think it would have suited the cabinet size better. The Rivera R55-12 cabinet is also a bit shallow. This one is juuuuust right.

6 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Right on!  I've always wanted one, or the Cluster.  Well done!

9 hours ago, tsp17 said:

Right on!  I've always wanted one, or the Cluster.  Well done!

The clubster is nice, but I like the more simple layout of the Pubster. If i want something big, loud, and with lots of gain, I've already got that.  This kinda fills in a spot that my Carvin Vintage 16 was never quite able to fill, as it sometimes doesn't have quite enough dirt. On the other hand the V16 can bet set to 5 watts triode, which can be driven pretty hard, and has that lovely elastic feeling.

Now I just need to figure out what tubes I want to put in it. With only two preamp tube spots, it's not like I have much of a choice.

Years ago I had  Music Man 110 RD-50, which was great little amp in a similar sort of way. It had a solid state preamp (as did all Music Mans/Men), The "Limiter" channel had a 12AX7 tube for the overdrive. Small, loud and good-sounding.

I sold it when I got a Boogie Mk IIB.

2 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

Years ago I had  Music Man 110 RD-50, which was great little amp in a similar sort of way. It had a solid state preamp (as did all Music Mans/Men), The "Limiter" channel had a 12AX7 tube for the overdrive. Small, loud and good-sounding.

I sold it when I got a Boogie Mk IIB.

Looking at the schematics for the Pubster 25, It has two IFN6449, which are "JFET N-Ch JFET -300V 10mA -15Vgs 800mW", in the preamp, probably as the input and boost driver. After that comes the two Triodes of V1, which make the overdrive, and then after that is the tone stack.  So it's not "all-tube", and honestly who cares. My Carvin X-100B has tubes for the input drivers and for the overdrive, but the Rotary and Graphic EQ are all solid-state driven, as is the reverb, and the effects loop. This is not that different from the "modern" marshalls.

Having all those features, but still being "all tube", simply isn't possible, and honestly many people are simply so "all-tube" obsessed. There's no way to make a Mesa Mark series amp without a significant amount of solid state tech running that Graphic EQ.  It's still ALL ANALOG. The hi-fi community doesn't care about solid state tech as long as it's good. It's the END SOUND that matters.

The same goes with the use of diodes in the preamps of some amplifiers for clipping. Preamp tube overdrive is actually quite harsh, especially when the "cold clipper" circuits are used, which essentially turn the tubes into clipping diodes.

4 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Looking at the schematics for the Pubster 25, It has two IFN6449, which are "JFET N-Ch JFET -300V 10mA -15Vgs 800mW", in the preamp, probably as the input and boost driver. After that comes the two Triodes of V1, which make the overdrive, and then after that is the tone stack.  So it's not "all-tube", and honestly who cares. My Carvin X-100B has tubes for the input drivers and for the overdrive, but the Rotary and Graphic EQ are all solid-state driven, as is the reverb, and the effects loop. This is not that different from the "modern" marshalls.

Having all those features, but still being "all tube", simply isn't possible, and honestly many people are simply so "all-tube" obsessed. There's no way to make a Mesa Mark series amp without a significant amount of solid state tech running that Graphic EQ.  It's still ALL ANALOG. The hi-fi community doesn't care about solid state tech as long as it's good. It's the END SOUND that matters.

The same goes with the use of diodes in the preamps of some amplifiers for clipping. Preamp tube overdrive is actually quite harsh, especially when the "cold clipper" circuits are used, which essentially turn the tubes into clipping diodes.

...And don't forget about solid state rectification in most Boogies, all Rivera-era Fenders and many other amps.

Bottom line, its the TONE that matters.

9 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

...And don't forget about solid state rectification in most Boogies, all Rivera-era Fenders and many other amps.

Bottom line, its the TONE that matters.

Yep! And for many amplifiers with higher amounts of gain, they have a second rectifier on the tube filament heaters so that V1 and sometimes V2 get DC heater supplies to avoid hum.  And the fancy switching setups? All based on solid state logic with a bunch of solid state relays of various types.

I won't even touch the "i need an all tube amplifier to run my germanium diode fuzz pedal through" thing.

One of these days, I'll actually get my pedalboard together. I've been saying that for years. I'm ready to PAY someone to put one together at this rate, The problem is always the BIG pedals like the Wah/Volume, that get in the way.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:45 PM, tbonesullivan said:

One of these days, I'll actually get my pedalboard together. I've been saying that for years. I'm ready to PAY someone to put one together at this rate, The problem is always the BIG pedals like the Wah/Volume, that get in the way.

My solution is to have the wah and volume pedals off the board...

11 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

My solution is to have the wah and volume pedals off the board...

That really would simplify things. They also tend to be very high profile pedals that are heavy, so they defy most hook and loop fasteners. Hmmmmmm.

Here's a picture to show the setup. It's a Pedaltrain Junior, and the wah and volume pedals fit neatly in the pocket of the soft case.

1682233993_pedalboard.thumb.jpg.c4ef0838202940b9d7fa9911abec0670.jpg

The signal chain is guitar -> Polytune Mini -> Dunlop wah -> Deja Vibe -> Zendrive 2 -> switch box (top left of board) -> Supa Trem -> MXR Chorus -> Morley Volume -> MXR Carbon Copy -> switch box -> amp.

The purpose of the switch box is to route the tremolo/chorus/delay either through the effects loop or straight into the amp. I usually have it set to the effects loop, but if I was in the situation of using an amp without an effects loop I'm covered.

Here's how the switch box is wired. I used a 4 pole double throw switch as that was what I had available at the time.

26846704_3PDTswitchfxloopdirect.thumb.png.da667cf29798ecca3110c5a5f5e01a54.png

Wow, that IS a really nice simple setup. I guess I should really just decide which pedals I want/need, and then make it happen.

I also did check the speaker in the Pubster 25 finally, and it's an Eminence Legend 1058, which is what I assumed it was.  I do wonder if putting a lower power speaker like the Legend 1028K would make much of a difference.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:14 PM, Gitfiddler said:

I have the Pubster 25 head. Sounds great. Put that through a 2X12 cab and your ready to rock.  I normally run it through a 1X12 since thats all I need for most clubs. My only complaint would be that when you hit the boost it seems to add a lot of high end. I have a feeling it was designed that way to cut through during your leads. 

I also have a Chubster 40 combo and a Rake reverb head. I'm a bit of a Rivera fan boy.    ;<)

16 hours ago, CJTopes said:

I have the Pubster 25 head. Sounds great. Put that through a 2X12 cab and your ready to rock.  I normally run it through a 1X12 since thats all I need for most clubs. My only complaint would be that when you hit the boost it seems to add a lot of high end. I have a feeling it was designed that way to cut through during your leads. 

I also have a Chubster 40 combo and a Rake reverb head. I'm a bit of a Rivera fan boy.    ;<)

Rivera makes good amps. My R55-12 is definitely a favorite, easy to dial in, and great sounding. I did find that switching out the stock G12T-85 Custom speaker in favor of an Eminence CV-75 definitely helped the sound.

Archived