Heritage Owners Club

NUAD: Vintage Sound Jazz 20

tsp17

My new (to me) H550 needed a running mate.  Nothing like a new gigging tandem to motivate your playing.  Been woodshedding again.  Feels good.  They are a great match.  Amp is light enough and small but sounds big.  Plenty of headroom (6v6) with this speaker (WGS G12C/S  Ceramic) and beefy transformer.  Kind of like an upgraded Deluxe Reverb without the trem circuit and in a smaller all solid pine cab.  They make a fine looking couple, don't you think?

Here are the specs:

Specifications:
Circuitry: Black Face AA1164
Power Handling: 20 Watts into 8 Ohms
Inputs: One channel; 2 Inputs
Auxiliary Inputs:
Bias Points
RCA Footswitch Jack
Extension Speaker Jack
External Speaker Jack
Controls: Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass. Reverb, Dwell, Presence

Hardware:
Cabinet Material:   Solid Pine Cabinet w/ Birch Plywood Baffle & upper and lower back panel
Pilot Light Jewel:   Blue (other colors available)
Knobs: Chicken Head or Barrel Head
Handle: Leather Handle

Effects:
Tube Driven Spring Reverb

Speakers:
*WGS G12C/S  12” Ceramic
*optional speakers available

Tubes:
Rectifier: 5AR4 Rectifier Tube
Power Tubes:     (2)  6V6 -or- (2) 6L6
Preamp Tubes:  (3)  12AX7, (1) 12AT7

kqun7LJEREyZnH+4m0SXHw_thumb_1e6d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e70.jpg

2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

I'm digging that rig.  Great features and highly regarded based on online reviews.

And the cute handle/tilt back attachment at the bottom is a nice touch.

it definitely lives up to expectations.  Highly portable tube amp with very warm and surprisingly big cleans for its size, and runs very quiet.  Plenty of amp for the small/medium venues that I play.   It is voiced specifically for jazz and it shows.   A little on the dark/warm side, but that's what I like, not just for jazz (my main thing) but also rock and fusion.   The original owner added that little tilt back device.  It is spring loaded so when you lift the amp it snaps closed like a mouse trap (almost learned that the hard way).   I have a speaker wedge that I currently use for gigs, but that will come out of my bag now.   One less thing to lug.  Came with a nice custom cover, but I might spring for a Studio Slip clamshell for extra protection. Very happy with this acquisition.  

nice, that picture of amp and guitar is very beautiful

20W, how loud is it?

the H550 is one of my favorite hollow bodies, enjoy them :-)

5 minutes ago, Gianluca said:

nice, that picture of amp and guitar is very beautiful

20W, how loud is it?

the H550 is one of my favorite hollow bodies, enjoy them ?

Thanks very much.  I have not gigged with it or had the volume past 6 yet at home, so I don't know how loud it will get maxed out to the edge of clean or beyond.   In my "studio" (man cave dominated by guitars/amps, piano etc.) with volume at 6 I need to back off the guitar volume control to keep in from being too loud for comfort, even with the room's doors open to the outside.   So it is plenty loud.  Probably similar to a Deluxe Reverb or maybe louder and stays very musical.

Best low wattage small format amp I've ever had.  Been looking for something like this for a long time.  Princetons, Deluxe Reverbs, Carr, JazzKat, Mesa, .....I've been through a lot of them and this one has the best, fullest, warm cleans and is a highly portable package/weight in a Princeton sized cabinet.  Really a quality piece of work.    I thought I might try 6L6s in it to get a bigger sound and more headroom, but now that I've had it a few days, there is no need.  I've always heard amps described as having a 3D quality, but I've never heard a small format/low watt amp create that image quite like this one.  

It is so good that I am considering selling my Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus head and 2x12 Earcandy cab (a fantastic sounding set up) to create more space in my studio. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived