Heritage Owners Club

Heritage vs. Gibson Rob Chapman video

heritagefan7

So, all of the info/history given didn't strike me as perfectly accurate, but Rob Chapman is a great player, a well known guitarist and a guy who'se just played alot of guitars--he even has his own import line. Video has lots of banter, but I thought it was interesting. I haven't played a new Heritage or a LP that costs this much, so I can't accurately comment. But having owned both an LP and a 150 I'd generally tend to say---and clearly, this is my bias,  that  I disagree w/ Rob this time. But again....I'm biased!

Hmm. It takes a specially selected custom shop LP that rates as the "Best Gibson/LP ever" to be better than a random heavier-than-average H150 for half the price. I guess that can happen.  

My experience was after going through a half dozen LP's over the years to get to my "favorite custom shop LP", my H-150 with ThroBak SLE 101s sounded better. They weighed the same.

So that can happen, too.

Hmm, hmmmmmm, comparing is fun. They both have their advantages and they're all an experience. Over a long period of time I've owned an R0, R9, 2 LP Classics, LP Studio, LPJ, '72 Custom, multiple MIJs: Tokai LS-80, 60, Burny Super Grade, Greco Super Real, and two H150's. I've played many more including vintage 'bursts, goldtops, etcccccccccc, as I like to shop when out of town and I spent over a decade either studying or teaching at a vintage dealer. 

One side of the brain says "It's a ****ing Les Paul." The other side nit picks every detail. My '89 H150 was a beast and up there with any of'em. The other H150 was good but not particularly inspiring. Yet, in a world of crazy if I was comparing I'd say some of the finest I've ever played were a hacked up 3 Humbucker late 60's Deluxe Goldtop and a freakin' Heritage 80, both highly "inferior" guitars once I learned that from the internet & knowledgeable aficionados. Honorable mention to a Tokai LS60 & '02 Classic. 

I just think if you turn your vintage blinders off, at the end of the day they ain't rocket science....more "feel" and "experience" than anything to find a favorite. And, like all things, at the end of the day when I gig mine I find other guitar models to be more comfortable to play regardless of tonez. 

I have two lighter H150s @ 9.4 lbs, 9.0 lbs, and two Les Pauls R0, R7 @ 8lbs 13oz, 8lbs 1oz. The best rock guitar of the lot is the R0,  it just has that LP through a Marshall thing going on, and the most versatile is the R7, it can go from Fat LP bridge pickup tone to Tele like clarity!. But my H150s do some things righteously. The heavier one has a bite that just sits right out in front of a mix, and the lighter one has the Stones Mick Taylor tone, and the MT era Stones are my favorite band. I'll keep them all thank you!

Its a snap shot of one guys experience with 2 random guitars.

Im not a fan of "chappers", always a lot of words and noise and not much actual usable content.

I spent three + months looking for a LP. Played some nice ones, price was no object.

Bought a H150.

Spent the next 7yrs looking for a R8/R9 or any LP that might replace it. I was always looking for the better strat/tele/LP/335 to replace the ones I had, everyday.

Nothing could replace the H150, some LP's along the way provided cool alternative LP sounds and feel but none of them had the thunk, kerrang and immediacy of the H150. Its an absolute  beast of a guitar.

My H150 is heavier than the one in the video above. I have ongoing sciatica from a work injury in 2004 and cant even play the H150 sitting down because of the pressure it puts on my legs.

It probably hasnt been played for 2yrs. I probably should have sold it by now.

Finding an LP that is better than an H150 is easy to do just like finding an H150 that is better than an LP is easy to do. These guitars are just a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the guitars out there by each builder. They both can make great guitars that rival one another. 

On 5/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, JeffB said:

Its a snap shot of one guys experience with 2 random guitars.

Im not a fan of "chappers", always a lot of words and noise and not much actual usable content.

I spent three + months looking for a LP. Played some nice ones, price was no object.

Bought a H150.

Spent the next 7yrs looking for a R8/R9 or any LP that might replace it. I was always looking for the better strat/tele/LP/335 to replace the ones I had, everyday.

Nothing could replace the H150, some LP's along the way provided cool alternative LP sounds and feel but none of them had the thunk, kerrang and immediacy of the H150. Its an absolute  beast of a guitar.

My H150 is heavier than the one in the video above. I have ongoing sciatica from a work injury in 2004 and cant even play the H150 sitting down because of the pressure it puts on my legs.

It probably hasnt been played for 2yrs. I probably should have sold it by now.

Any tales from "The Gate" ?

On 5/31/2019 at 2:06 AM, JeffB said:

my feelings exactly, and this is a worthless apples/oranges comparison  with too small a sample size to hold any water.

I had the pleasure to play and eventually own Yooper's R7 Gold Top which I found to be exceptional. Later on, a 2008 H150 GoldTop came along (no weight relief) at 8.5 pounds which surpassed the R7. I was able to sell the Gibson without a loss and haven't looked back.  I also have an exceptional 25th anniversary H150 LW (didn't even know they made these in LW). I have gone through about 10 H150's over the years and without a doubt, some are better than others. Someday I hope to find a G-Brand again but for now, I am content with the H150's to satisfy that L.P. itch that crops up every so often.  I think its time for another pickup swap (cheaper than guitar swaps). Fralin, Lollar, etc. Looking to try a humbucker size P90 set in one of these. Chappers might be a Gibson FanBoy (I guess I am a Heritage FanBoy).

9 hours ago, RhoadsScholar said:

I had the pleasure to play and eventually own Yooper's R7 Gold Top which I found to be exceptional. Later on, a 2008 H150 GoldTop came along (no weight relief) at 8.5 pounds which surpassed the R7.

That makes two H150's that we preferred over the same very nice custom shop R7 Les Paul.  

Every guitar is different.  Some are better than others, but folks tend to have their biases for certain brands.  I try to avoid falling into the 'guitar brand tribalism' thing, and appreciate each guitar for its own thing.    The video above shouldn't be viewed in absolutes.  It's just one guy's opinion, using two very similarly designed guitars.

My 2001 R7 sounds amazing...almost as amazing as my 2004 H150. 

17 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

My 2001 R7 sounds amazing...almost as amazing as my 2004 H150. 

This. ^

I LOVED my '01 R7!

However...

Along with an edge in sound, the H150 neck is much more comfortable for me.  I never picked up the LP after getting the H150. Of course, along with an H150 with P-90s, the pair covers all the classic LP sounds for me.  Yes, still missing is a nice H137. Until then, an LP Special will have to do.

I have not posted in a while, but I have this to add....

1) I ABSOLUTELY agree no on can speak in absolutes.  Every guitar will vary based on the wood.

HOWEVER

2) I agree that the LP ABSOLUTELY slaughtered the Heritage 150.   I am being totally objective here.  I and I agree with Chappers that the LP (based only on tone) for me, is one of the best LPs I have ever heard.

SO I think he was trying to do a fair comparison, but he stumbled on a very special LP and a very average 150 to compare.  Sometimes it just happens that way.  I don't think he has "headstock bias" or was playing the "Gibson Fanboy".   

Bottom line is, he was right; That LP killed that 150 in IMHO.

Its hard to take Chappers review for its face value.

Thomann music paid Chappers to perform a review in his own methodology.  

However, Thomann is in the business to sell guitars.  Being more of a Gibson dealer with a 195 Les Paul models compared to 5 Heritage H150's, its not surprising they want you to buy a Gibson.  I'm sure my H535 would go head to head with any custom shop Gibson ES-335 and match Gibson quite fairly. 

Gibson has more inventory, higher prices, and probably more arm twisting by the sales rep.  More reason to endorse them by Chappers.

Oh, and since Chapman guitars are available too, Rob was probably more than willing to do what Thomann wanted just to be sure his own brand gets a little more love.

Just my $.02.

My thoughts about the comparison are mixed.

Sound comparison:   The 150 seemed bright compared to the Gibson.   I would suspect that is the difference between the SD59 and the Custombuckers.   I still maintain that there is no right or wrong.  Set the amp to get the best from the 150 and the LP will probably sound too dark.  On the other hand,  the brightness of the 150 might be just the ticket to cut through the rest of the band.    

Weight:   10+ lbs is definitely too heavy for me.   Yesterday morning, I spent 45 minutes playing my H157 which is about 9.5 lbs and my back was feeling it.  The LP would be much nicer to hold for a night.     

Playability:   I'll have to take his word re: his preference.   My preferences could be vastly different from his.  I just know that my Heritage guitars all fit me very well.   The Gibson might fit me just as well.    I would have to play them both.

Cost:   No comparison.   NO way would I spend $6500 on a guitar.  I could go to the Heritage factory,  play everything they have on the floor to find the one I like best,  buy that H150 and add Throbaks in it for half that much, including gas and the hotel.  I bet I could find one on the floor that is 9lbs or under.

I hope they didn't pay him much for that rubbish video.

A very unfair comparison based on price. A custom shop lp is three times the price of a 150 in Australia.

He is not funny, and his playing.........I'm trying to hold back comments.

You'd think if they were going to trial 59 era style guitars they could have chosen an amp that reflected the tone of the era.

What is half as good?

Stupidity on his part and the stores. 

Archived