Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H575, a 5F10 and Sunday brunch

Vanschoyck

1 hour ago, Hfan said:

Excellent playing, cool tune too. Love the 575 as well, what finish is that? Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much Hfan.  That would be the Almond SB finish. Seems like that color was done differently over the years.  Mine seems to barely have any "burst" to it at all.

47 minutes ago, bolero said:

that was cool!

Thanks bolero.

36 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

Get way up there in that cutaway Van The Man! It's great to see/hear you play that guitar. Do you like those Doug's Plugs in the F-holes, and are they really needed at the volume you were playing at?

Thanks Daniel.  I do like the plugs.  When I started this gig four years ago I was getting a little howl on low notes so I started using them but I've changed amp and guitar since then, so who knows?  I use them more or less out of habit, easier than getting into the middle of something and then realizing I need 'em.

1 hour ago, Vanschoyck said:

Thanks bolero.

Thanks Daniel.  I do like the plugs.  When I started this gig four years ago I was getting a little howl on low notes so I started using them but I've changed amp and guitar since then, so who knows?  I use them more or less out of habit, easier than getting into the middle of something and then realizing I need 'em.

I've thought about getting a pair for the really high volume Gretsch gigs. Once those low notes start to runaway you know you're going to be working too hard:)

Well, I have to caveat here and make a correction.  I just watched one of the other video's that Darl posted from that day and it showed the amplifier.  It's not my 5F10 which I use every week - it was in the shop that weekend getting biased for new power tubes.  The original ones had begun to make an unholy noise (stupid tubes!).  So I'm actually playing my older amp which is an Evans AE200 which I've had for about twenty years and now keep as a backup.  I still don't have a good recording of the Victoria.

Nice (of course), David!  Great to see you on the gig.  Your arrangement?  575 sounds terrific...and that's probably a function of the Evans, too (they're built just a few miles down the road from me).  Great low volume tone!  Clear as a bell, and with that nice single-string articulation and snap, and a little of the acoustic sound as well.  Nice right hand, too, chords sound almost as though you're doing the Wes right hand.  Descending chords after the solo were sweet!  Thanks for posting.

Thank you Rob for all that!  

As far as arrangements go, all I do there is ad lib.  The problem with arranging is a) you have to do it and b) you have to remember it and I just don't wanna.  A lot of the songs we do I've never even heard.  True, if Darl does a particular song often enough I fall into habit but as soon as I realize that's happening I throw the whole thing out and start again.  Lots of "wrong" notes but those need love too.  All of that's in the rider attached to my contract.

(oops, forgot to quote your post. its getting late - past my bedtime)

1 minute ago, Vanschoyck said:

Thank you Rob for all that!  

As far as arrangements go, all I do there is ad lib.  The problem with arranging is a) you have to do it and b) you have to remember it and I just don't wanna.  A lot of the songs we do I've never even heard.  True, if Darl does a particular song often enough I fall into habit but as soon as I realize that's happening I throw the whole thing out and start again.  Lots of "wrong" notes but those need love too.  All of that's in the rider attached to my contract.

Glad you got that in the rider. So did I see in your other post that you wound up buying a Victoria?

1 minute ago, rockabilly69 said:

Glad you got that in the rider. So did I see in your other post that you wound up buying a Victoria?

Yep.  I got the Ivy League.  Plenty clean and still has that "tweed" voicing.

7 minutes ago, Vanschoyck said:

Fantastic! I was hoping you would get that model. Congrats!!! Speaking of Victoria's, I put an "New In the Box" NOS Altec 418b into my Victoria Regal II and I think my heart skipped a beat when I blasted the first chord through it...

rszpJhI.jpg?1

I own a ton of amps and this is my FAVORITE hands down, it would be the last one that I would ever sell!

5 hours ago, Vanschoyck said:

I had a Victoria Deluxe it never had enough treble and the volume control was useless. Bought a Victoria Ivy League (10" speaker) and love it. Useful controls, sounds Fab and a great light weight traveling amp.

48 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Finally got around to listening to your music.  Very well done, Mr. V.  Your playing was very complimentary to the song, and I love the tone of your 575.  :icon_thumright:

Thank you so much sir, I am humbled.

Archived