Heritage Owners Club

Gibson getting agressive over copyright / patent

KEITHSPANGLE

Even if Gibson won all these lawsuits, they would still be perceived to be massive jerks. THEN how many guitars are they going to sell when everyone thinks they are jerks? I think the bright light at the end of the Henry tunnel has just been shot out by a self inflicted act of stupidity.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GIBSON LOSES FLYING V TRADEMARK CASE IN EU COURT

"In the judgement, the court declared that while the shape of the Flying V guitar “was very original when it was released on the market in 1958, it cannot however deny the evolution of the market during the following 50 years, which was henceforward characterised by a wide variety of available shapes.”"

On 6/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, PunkKitty said:

Now, Reverend...

c7d55fb5-4e27-4591-aaf2-5a5eba97f7a3-jpe

Interesting enough, Gibson failed to gain a patent on the Flying V shape in Europe.  They lost in 2010 and both appeals.

Reverend may still be able to sell Volcano's in Europe.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:58 AM, HANGAR18 said:

Even if Gibson won all these lawsuits, they would still be perceived to be massive jerks. THEN how many guitars are they going to sell when everyone thinks they are jerks? I think the bright light at the end of the Henry tunnel has just been shot out by a self inflicted act of stupidity.

Gibson's attitudes have been one of the major things that have switched me off their brand and towards others.

I suppose if dean hadn’t been making these styles for decades, this would be news. These rumblings have happened before and will happen again.

I honestly think that may hurt Gibson sales more than it helps. A ton of people have reacted to this stuff. And many of those are already Gibson owners or may potentially have been.

I find it both amusing and puzzling that consumers and manufacturers are feuding over designs first introduced over 60 years ago. To put that into perspective, in 1958, when the V first appeared, it was cutting edge and trending. Nobody was concerned about guitar design from the 1890’s, 60+ years their predecessor. 

Someone out there in the Internet pointed out that...
1. If you don't defend your copyright when the infringement first occurs, that you don't get to complain about it decades later.
2. That is was Henry who started this particular lawsuit effort a few years ago before the bankruptcy thing. That being said, Gibson did send out a very fresh cease and desist letter.

Adding to this, I don't remember anyone bringing up Hamer guitars. They have made a "Hamer Standard" since the 1970's when you always saw one on stage with Cheap Trick. (...and yes I know they went out of business and have recently come back to life by making imported copies of their former selves.)

On 6/29/2019 at 4:42 PM, TubeTone said:

I suppose if dean hadn’t been making these styles for decades, this would be news. These rumblings have happened before and will happen again.

I honestly think that may hurt Gibson sales more than it helps. A ton of people have reacted to this stuff. And many of those are already Gibson owners or may potentially have been.

It certainly didn't help Mark Agensi; He'll have a hard time going back to Norms if he doesn't try to fix his image soon.

45 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

It certainly didn't help Mark Agensi; He'll have a hard time going back to Norms if he doesn't try to fix his image soon.

I agree. I honestly didn’t know much about him or his image until after the Gibson video. I’ve seen some of his older content now, and it’s almost sad how he looks and acts in the G video.

Hey,   I believe them!

BTW, did HJ hire Agnesi before he left?   I don't remember that.    Considering that Heritage had supposedly already worked out an agreement with Gibson years ago, then I'm guessing they are in the clear.

19 hours ago, TubeTone said:

I agree. I honestly didn’t know much about him or his image until after the Gibson video. I’ve seen some of his older content now, and it’s almost sad how he looks and acts in the G video.

I met Mark almost two years ago now at Norms.  Just a regular dude who can rip anything on guitar and knows his vintage gear.

I know he is the voice for Gibson, but there is a damaging image here that he helped shape.  I think he needs to clarify his position and little better.  I think the intent wasn't about Gibson suing anyone (since the lawsuits are rather old), but more of Gibson bringing back what people really asked for, not the crap we've seen over the past 5 years or so.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:38 PM, HANGAR18 said:

What's to cringe about? Other than his dialogue seems highly scripted. 

9 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

I met Mark almost two years ago now at Norms.  Just a regular dude who can rip anything on guitar and knows his vintage gear.

I know he is the voice for Gibson, but there is a damaging image here that he helped shape.  I think he needs to clarify his position and little better.  I think the intent wasn't about Gibson suing anyone (since the lawsuits are rather old), but more of Gibson bringing back what people really asked for, not the crap we've seen over the past 5 years or so.

Norman's in California, or Norms?

Like any  of this makes a difference, those who want Gibsons will buy them, and 2019 is a good year for Gibson model wise. What a bunch of whining internet sh*t stirrers. It's just like the changing of the Heritage guard whiners, I cringed at that knowing the new guard fhas fixed most of what I was complaining about!

15 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Like any  of this makes a difference, those who want Gibsons will buy them, and 2019 is a good year for Gibson model wise. What a bunch of whining internet sh*t stirrers. It's just like the changing of the Heritage guard whiners, I cringed at that knowing the new guard fhas fixed most of what I was complaining about!

I have to agree. Having just purchased a brand spankin' new LP Special, I can say the "G-brand" are making some great guitars. All the posturing from their end just seems silly, and almost seems desperate. I suppose it will get them more attention. And as much as I hated to see the golden era at "H"pass. I guess as long as they keep making great guitars, I wish them the best. It's the same, just different.

Not really, just pointing out that this last Gibson blunder won’t keep anybody from buying that Les Paul, 335, Firebird, etc they’ve dreamt of buying.
Gibson certainly seems to think it might with *someone* -- thus, pulling the video off the net and issuing a statement saying that going forward they want to be collaborational rather than confrontational instead. And there's certainly plenty of people online talking about not buying Gibson guitars now; but of course, one can question whether they ever really were going to in the first place. I agree with the idea that any impact will be slight, if for no other reason than that most people don't obsess about gear and don't spend their free time amongst other people obsessing about gear. Whether or not it's a genuine tempest, it's in a very small teacup.

Archived