Heritage Owners Club

Gibson getting agressive over copyright / patent

KEITHSPANGLE

Since when does any business in a free market economy want to "collaborate" with their competition?
Nonsense.
In the way they mean it, I don't think it's nonsense at all. I think Gibson would much rather other companies sign licensing agreements with them than they would like to sue those other companies -- especially since the bases for Gibson's trademark suits and threatened suits don't look very solid.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, funkapus said:

... I agree with the idea that any impact will be slight, if for no other reason than that most people don't obsess about gear and don't spend their free time amongst other people obsessing about gear. Whether or not it's a genuine tempest, it's in a very small teacup.

this

On 7/3/2019 at 6:27 PM, rockabilly69 said:

It's just like the changing of the Heritage guard whiners, I cringed at that knowing the new guard fhas fixed most of what I was complaining about!

Daniel, Have you played a new Heritage to confirm that all issues are fixed?  Just curious, because I have not and know of very few that have.  

I say enjoy Heritages from every year and consider each guitar on it's own merit.  

On 7/6/2019 at 10:46 AM, Kuz said:

Daniel, Have you played a new Heritage to confirm that all issues are fixed?  Just curious, because I have not and know of very few that have.  

I say enjoy Heritages from every year and consider each guitar on it's own merit.  

Well they are plek'ing the new guitars and they seem to be addressing the badly cut nuts from what I've seen. They've also gone to a Titanium saddle locking bridge, although I still wish they would use Faber bridges.

1 hour ago, rockabilly69 said:

Well they are plek'ing the new guitars and they seem to be addressing the badly cut nuts from what I've seen. They've also gone to a Titanium saddle locking bridge, although I still wish they would use Faber bridges.

Have they gone to a bone nut as Heritage has? Or still using a synthetic nut?

3 minutes ago, rockabilly69 said:

We were talking about Heritage guitars Will

oops

Gibson made a Jimi Hendrix signature strat. The very thing theyre trying to police, they did.

. Im sorted with guitar gear for a couple of life times. Stockpile of tubes and strings(I hope the sealed packets are as good as they say)

I dont care what Gibson does, I was never going to give a cent to Henry J and I wouldnt give the latest lot of dickheads a cent either if I was in need of a guitar

On 7/7/2019 at 4:04 PM, ElNumero said:

Have they gone to a bone nut as Heritage has? Or still using a synthetic nut?

They're using TUSQ nuts these days.

10 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

so you're saying you don't like Gibson??? :)

ha! nah. Ive had too many. I like them well enough.

I dont know why, out all of them Ive just never found one thats a keeper. The only regret as far as gibson goes is an ES125 that I let go. It would be the only guitar out of its case tonight if I still had it.

I just wouldnt buy a new one when Henry J was in management and the the current lot of management dont inspire me to give them money either.

I would still hit a s/h gibson if I found one that tickled my fancy. Right now for me Heritage , Yamaha and Ibanez guitars are filling the spots that might traditionally be considered Gibson territory.

There are just too many good guitars from too many good manufacturers now, and too many good second hand guitars out there. In a market so saturated you want your brand to stick out but only for the best reasons. Gibson seems to have a habit of sticking out for all the wrong reasons. Their whole *heritage* is based around some of the sweetest guitar models ever but they just keep missing the point for me and focus on weird marketing, dumb ideas, stupid "upgrades" when all they need to do is get over themselves and just build good guitars.

Im not really invested in any of it so Im not sure why I feel anything about it. Might just be a habit :)

37 minutes ago, JeffB said:

ha! nah. Ive had too many. I like them well enough.

I dont know why, out all of them Ive just never found one thats a keeper. The only regret as far as gibson goes is an ES125 that I let go. It would be the only guitar out of its case tonight if I still had it.

I just wouldnt buy a new one when Henry J was in management and the the current lot of management dont inspire me to give them money either.

I would still hit a s/h gibson if I found one that tickled my fancy. Right now for me Heritage , Yamaha and Ibanez guitars are filling the spots that might traditionally be considered Gibson territory.

There are just too many good guitars from too many good manufacturers now, and too many good second hand guitars out there. In a market so saturated you want your brand to stick out but only for the best reasons. Gibson seems to have a habit of sticking out for all the wrong reasons. Their whole *heritage* is based around some of the sweetest guitar models ever but they just keep missing the point for me and focus on weird marketing, dumb ideas, stupid "upgrades" when all they need to do is get over themselves and just build good guitars.

Im not really invested in any of it so Im not sure why I feel anything about it. Might just be a habit :)

Of course I was just joking :)  But I see where you are coming from. I just ignore their BS and stick with the models I love, and I haven't bought a brand new Gibson in a long time, other than a two Firebirds a few years back. I bought two to see which one was better (they were both lightweights), kept the better one, then gutted it and made it my own with electronics I know I like. It came out great, and I still record with it. That said, my two Historic Les Pauls (R0 and R7) are two of the finest guitars I've ever played and recorded with, and they are bone stock. Yes they were picked out of many, but still, they are killer in ever way. And I kept two Heritages for the same reason other than I gutted the Heritages and gave them electronics I like. They all have something unique about them. Currently Gibson's 2019 lineup looks good, especially their SG offerings, and their 50's style USA LP Special,  but as I said I rarely buy new, so that if I don't like them, I can sell them and not lose my shorts. BTW I have a '65 ES125 that I love and it barks. Some guy brought his camera in and recorded me playing it in a bar and the sound quality wasn't that good, but you'll get the idea...

• 2 weeks later...

Today I remembered that Gibson, on more than one occasion in their history, discontinued the Les Paul line, presumably because they didn't think it was worth keeping in production. So NOW, they act like it is such a sacred thing, but there was a time where even they didn't think the Les Paul was worth a crap. That doesn't really help their argument and I don't think they will get very far with their lawsuit... unless their strategy is simply to bankrupt their competitors through litigation.

Archived