Heritage Owners Club

Pre Corp Heritage Guitar or Post Corp... Which would you buy?

Erob

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/22/2019 at 3:06 PM, deytookerjaabs said:

I'm curious if some of you believe "Eastman Guitars" should be derided for their techniques as well? Their philosophy is that guitars aren't microprocessors so they basically build instruments about 50-100 years behind where Heritage was in 1985 so no "lean manufacturing" ethos etc... Yet, they seem to be really loved and not castigated on the 'net to near the extent I see the "old" Heritage being criticized? 

I have an Eastman acoustic, it is a superb guitar

they'll get no crtiticism from me

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the input, after reading all of the info I do believe buying a Pre Corp is the way to go...... at least for me.   

With that said there is one more consideration I would appreciate some thoughts on.   Heritage Guitar was purchased in 2016 - 2017, if I'm not mistaken modernization to the way their guitars were made did not occur until 2018 when many of the "old guard" employees were let go.  So even though in 2016 - 2017 Heritage Guitar was under new ownership they were still being made in the same manner as before. Correct?   With this said wouldn't buying a 2016 - 2017 Heritage be the same as buying a "Golden Era" Heritage?  Is a 2016 - 2017 Heritage a "Golden Era" Heritage Guitar? 

Gives an interesting twist to the story if one is bought during these years.   

They’re still made pretty much the same way as they were. I believe the big firing/walkout occurred in late 2017 early ‘18 (I could be wrong). I haven’t owned any of the “Plaza-Corp” guitars, so I can’t speak of their quality. I (personally) have no interest in the newer stuff, as I’ve been to the original factory several times, and am familiar with many of the original folks. To me I’ll always prefer the “Golden era” guitars. With that being said, I cannot say with 100% certainty that, should I find a sweet deal on a recent model, that I’d pass it up. I’m sure they’re still fantastic guitars. Aesthetics aside, way you really can’t go wrong. 

Like you I prefer one before new ownership.  I'm just curious though if a Heritage guitar built in 2016 - 2017 would still be considered to fall into the category of the "Golden era" guitars.  Still made by the original Heritage employees, still made the same "by hand" before the updated machinery.  I understand they continue to be made mostly the same as way as before but then again not.  There is that "gray" area if you will.  Splitting hairs?  Probably..... but still an interesting thought.

Anything made before April 1, 2016 you could consider "Pre-Plaza", as that was the sale date to Plaza-Corp. Case in point, my H-157 has a Jan, 27 2016 date code on it. So I consider that a "PP". 

I kinda feel it worth mentioning that I'm not from Michigan and presume that no one at the Heritage factory even knows my name. I simply have no hometown ties to the company at all. If I were in the market today for a semi-hollow body guitar of vintage American style, I would buy a Heritage H-535 instead of a Gibson ES-335. Period.

The only reason I'm not in the market for one of those is because I've already got one.

1 hour ago, HANGAR18 said:

I kinda feel it worth mentioning that I'm not from Michigan and presume that no one at the Heritage factory even knows my name. I simply have no hometown ties to the company at all. If I were in the market today for a semi-hollow body guitar of vintage American style, I would buy a Heritage H-535 instead of a Gibson ES-335. Period.

The only reason I'm not in the market for one of those is because I've already got one.

This man speaks the truth.

Hey everyone. Bought a 150 new this year right from the factory. It's amazing. I'm new to the brand and whatever was "lost" wasnt really lost. It's just changed into a different shape. This is just the future and how time changes things for better and worse. Luckily this is a for better story.

I'm a kzoo local and didnt know anyone from anywhere. I was completely disheartened after returning a d'angelico to gc and remebered heritage was a thing my dad told me about downtown. Just randomly stopped by and tried to open the doors to the old building. Locked of course but I called the number off google and Mike answered at the front. He invited me in and took me on a tour and got me up to speed on the history I wasnt even aware of. Also got to play an assortment of amazing guitars in the showroom. It was really a treat. Eventually I made a downpayment on my dream 150. Jim's been there almost every time im there to visit. Everyone's incredibly friendly. Ren even remembers me at the front now. (I'm there too much). After several visits I selected a dirty lemon burst 150.  Beautiful mineral deposits in the top. Almost like bear claws. Very non traditional top. Loved it. Saw maybe 50 different flame tops in my visits and that one was special. I was able to make payments twards my dream guitar. (Bobbie is such a doll!) As chance would have it, in the days leading up to me paying it off, an even more beautiful body made it's way to the spray booth and i was able to select this guitar the day it was finished. Was able to show it to Jim on the way out of the factory and the look of pride in that man's eyes is something you dont take for granted. He selected and glued that top. I saw the fletch of raw wood it came from and even have the fletch tag. I really dont know what more I could hope for in the search of a new guitar. I know the mojos still in that building and certainly the heart in the craftsman. Go see them in person if you can.

I've also acquired a 1991 535 custom. There is better quality on the 2019 h150. The 91 is a frickin beautiful guitar, dont get me wrong. I'll get pictures up for you guys sooner than later. PSP was amazing also. Glad to be part of the family.

Josh.

Resized_20190417_115552.jpeg

4 hours ago, Kzoocares said:

Snapchat-1456131217.thumb.jpg.a5411c454f622d4f02b3cb6d1ea0bd72.jpg

Welcome to the HOC, Josh.

Great story about your acquiring your brand new H150 from the factory.  Dirty Lemon Burst is beautiful.  You are very fortunate to live in the Kazoo area.

Also, your H535 pictured above sure looks like a Prospect to me.  Maybe the photo is distorted.  Do you have another image of it?

4 hours ago, Kzoocares said:

Hey everyone. Bought a 150 new this year right from the factory. It's amazing. I'm new to the brand and whatever was "lost" wasnt really lost. It's just changed into a different shape. This is just the future and how time changes things for better and worse. Luckily this is a for better story.

I'm a kzoo local and didnt know anyone from anywhere. I was completely disheartened after returning a d'angelico to gc and remebered heritage was a thing my dad told me about downtown. Just randomly stopped by and tried to open the doors to the old building. Locked of course but I called the number off google and Mike answered at the front. He invited me in and took me on a tour and got me up to speed on the history I wasnt even aware of. Also got to play an assortment of amazing guitars in the showroom. It was really a treat. Eventually I made a downpayment on my dream 150. Jim's been there almost every time im there to visit. Everyone's incredibly friendly. Ren even remembers me at the front now. (I'm there too much). After several visits I selected a dirty lemon burst 150.  Beautiful mineral deposits in the top. Almost like bear claws. Very non traditional top. Loved it. Saw maybe 50 different flame tops in my visits and that one was special. I was able to make payments twards my dream guitar. (Bobbie is such a doll!) As chance would have it, in the days leading up to me paying it off, an even more beautiful body made it's way to the spray booth and i was able to select this guitar the day it was finished. Was able to show it to Jim on the way out of the factory and the look of pride in that man's eyes is something you dont take for granted. He selected and glued that top. I saw the fletch of raw wood it came from and even have the fletch tag. I really dont know what more I could hope for in the search of a new guitar. I know the mojos still in that building and certainly the heart in the craftsman. Go see them in person if you can.

I've also acquired a 1991 535 custom. There is better quality on the 2019 h150. The 91 is a frickin beautiful guitar, dont get me wrong. I'll get pictures up for you guys sooner than later. PSP was amazing also. Glad to be part of the family.

Josh.

Resized_20190417_115552.jpeg

Very nice!

5 hours ago, Kzoocares said:

The one that sticks out is the pudgy around the inlays. They are slightly raised too. It's all I can really find that bothers me. 

Resized_20190803_101043.jpeg

Pudgey? That's glue sunken into the wood beside the inlay, when you place it in then wipe the glue some parts of the wood are more spongey so to speak and the glue sinks in. It's an old guitar, I just did a refret on a '65 firebird of mine and two dots fell out! The gap is the wood swelling/shrinking a hair, completely normal with age. Anyways, congrats, both guitars look top shelf! 

I'm not a "mojo" kind of guy. If it's good and does what I want how I want, then I dont care if it was made by one guy in his woodshed or by a large factory.

I have a 2010 model and owned a 1991 before that. Fine guitars to be sure. I hear the newer ones are fine too.

I'll say only this about "post-Corp":  Did the factory tour two days ago.  Very impressed with what I saw (having been through the old plant eight times).  If I could only have a day to lay hands on ten or twelve of what I laid eyes on.  That would be the tell!

On 8/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, yoslate said:

I'll say only this about "post-Corp":  Did the factory tour two days ago.  Very impressed with what I saw (having been through the old plant eight times).  If I could only have a day to lay hands on ten or twelve of what I laid eyes on.  That would be the tell!

Great testimony. Did you se the tonewoods room? 

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

If it sounds nice, plays nice, looks nice and is affordable then you may want to consider making it your own. I've long since moved past the "vintage thing", brand names, relics, hand carved vs. machined etc., it either sounds good or it doesn't regardless of how or when it was made or  what brand name is on the headstock.  Find what resonates with you and run with it! It was an 18 month search for a 335 that led me to my 2016 H530, not sure if its new plant or old plant but one thing I do know is that it makes me grin every time I plug it in!

Archived