Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Amps

On 10/19/2019 at 1:19 PM, Gianluca said:

Thanks Steiner and Gitfiddler, I'm dreaming of one already

I need a decent amp, I'm currently using a practice VHT 6W head into a Line6 DT25 12"(G12H-90 Celestion) cabinet, not bad for home, but I'd like a better solution

I Still have a Swart 5W on my list because I like it and here in UK there's only one delaer but well stocked (coda-music.com Space Tone Reverb) and it's not too heavy/big to carry (I'm currently not gigging)
though what I'm think of is an amp I can use in real rehearsal rooms for the some more serious practice/playing/recording

The Amplifier I'd like is something like those Heritage you shown
and I think with some more tight speaker and more volume I could achieve what I'm thinking

I'm still not sure which way to go, think of tones including Rock and electric Blues, rough and quality range, from Robben Ford to Johnny Winter....maybe I'm asking too much
I think I'll slowly start looking into a Heritage, a head possibly...?

Thanks for being there guys, this is the best forum on this row of the galaxy ??
never give up playing ?

Given the hen's-teeth rarity of Heritage amps in the UK, and given the sort of money you're likely to spend, it would be worth your while checking out some of the British boutique amp builders, such as Lazy J, Cornell and my favourite, 633 Engineering. Cliff Brown at 633 is a great guy to deal with, and every amp he makes is tailored to the buyer's requirements. He was previously chief designer at Blackstar and before that at Soundcraft, so he knows a bit about electronics. I've had my 633 Drive King for three years and it does everything I could want.

That fine bluesman Kirk Fletcher uses 633 amps - 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

Given the hen's-teeth rarity of Heritage amps in the UK, and given the sort of money you're likely to spend, it would be worth your while checking out some of the British boutique amp builders, such as Lazy J, Cornell and my favourite, 633 Engineering. Cliff Brown at 633 is a great guy to deal with, and every amp he makes is tailored to the buyer's requirements. He was previously chief designer at Blackstar and before that at Soundcraft, so he knows a bit about electronics. I've had my 633 Drive King for three years and it does everything I could want.

That fine bluesman Kirk Fletcher uses 633 amps - 

Bobmeyrick thank you so much for the precious info.
I didn't started searchig for UK amp builders and that's a very good help
The Drive King seems to be interesting, I'm interested in a Dumble Tone approach and will chek 633Eng and the others more accurately

I'll learn

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, fishstickkitty said:

I currently have a Heritage Briton III (yes, that's 3) for sale on reverb.  Since I'm not in a band anymore, it's just sitting around.  Amazing amp!!!  Please hit me with questions if you're interested.

https://reverb.com/item/32044289-heritage-briton-iii-2009-black-tolex

What is the tube compliment?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 11:02 AM, Gitfiddler said:

That double stacked Patriot with tooled leather tolex is gorgeous!!  Wish I had room for it..............

I just bought the tolex Patriot a few weeks ago after discussing with Gitfiddler.  What a great amp!  The cleans are the best I have ever heard.  The bright switch, mood, and presence controls provide incredible variety as well.  Thanks, Gitfiddler!

I haven't played any of my other amps since I plugged this one in.  I don't know what I'm going to do with them. ;-)

Congrats on the new NADs.

Everything about Heritage amps is top notch, right down to the Mather cabs.

Play in good health

Hey Superfly (I love that moniker!) welcome to the HOC and to the even more exclusive Heritage Amp Club!!

I knew you'd dig that Patriot.  Who wouldn't?  They are something special.

The matching 2x12 cab appears to still be available at Blue Angel Music.  Hint...hint!  :D

https://bluesangelmusic.com/product/heritage-amplification-2x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet-tooled-leather-cab/

13 hours ago, Superfly said:

I just bought the tolex Patriot a few weeks ago after discussing with Gitfiddler.  What a great amp!   Thanks, Gitfiddler!

I haven't played any of my other amps since I plugged this one in.  I don't know what I'm going to do with them. ?

It's not what ya know, it's who ya know.  When Gitfiddler speaks....  

21 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Hey Superfly (I love that moniker!) welcome to the HOC and to the even more exclusive Heritage Amp Club!!

I knew you'd dig that Patriot.  Who wouldn't?  They are something special.

The matching 2x12 cab appears to still be available at Blue Angel Music.  Hint...hint!  :D

https://bluesangelmusic.com/product/heritage-amplification-2x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet-tooled-leather-cab/

You were 110% right.  It is truly amazing.  Should I buy the 2x12 too?  Of course I should. ?

2 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

With the addition of the 2x12 ext. cab, Superfly now owns one of the most outrageous Patriots of all time!!

2 hours ago, Genericmusic said:

:wewantclipszm2::this_thread_is_useless_without_

I hear you brother.  On the road for the next few weeks.  After that maybe I can get some time to record this beauty and post a clip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello to the Heritage Owners Club!

I bought the Heritage Colonial Amp offered by Brent and it arrived today in Berlin.

I am very happy about it., but before plugging it in I will have to figure out whether the Heritage Colonial Amp can handle german voltage.

Sometimes amps are constructed in a way that they can handle different voltage strength by default, others are constructed for a specific market and the corresponding voltage.

Is there anybody out there in this owner club who might help out with further information concerning this question?

Greetings

Matthias

Hi Matthias - Congrats on a superior amp!

The power input isn't labeled 120v so there is a possibility.  I'd tr to get in touch with Paul Cochran (of Timmy pedal fame) and ask him.
His contact paulcochrane@comcast.net  615-896-8555 also myspace.com/paulcaudio also PaulC on TGP.net - is documented in his pedal instruction sheet (Courtesy of @rjsanders  here on the HOC)

Please let us know what you discover.  ENJOY!

Hello again to the Heritage Colonial Owners Club ?

As I mentioned before I am the lucky buyer of Brent's Colonial amp. As Steiner suggested I contacted Paul through his mail and I was very surprised and even more pleased that he did answer in deed. The only thing I did not like was the content of his reply. He told me that I would need a step down transformer to be able to use here in Germany (230V).

Actually I still can not really believe this. Here is my reasoning:

1)

A Friend of mine bought the Colonial Amp used from someone who bought it used from someone ...
He is running his Colonial Amp without a step down transformer for more than a year and does not have any problems with it. 
His Amp has 230V EU ... something written on the chassis ... please look at the attached picture.

2)

Has anybody opened his Colonial Amp to see the beautiful work of art to the circuit?
If so, you might have noticed that there are two loose wires clamped above the transformer ... please have a look at the second and third attached picture ...
Does anybody know what these are for?
Could it be, that depending of what voltage you are using different wires of the transformers have to be connected to the Power supply?
If so, does anybody know further details about this?

PLEASE help if you have any information for me. Is there anybody with the circuit diagram. Or is there somebody who knows more about the magic of these special "Mercury Magnetics HERITAGE 50 0" transformers.

I am still hoping that I will just have to solder two other ends to of the transformer to the power supply and then it will work with the German 230 voltage.

I am really appreciating any hint on this.
Thank you in advance!

Greetings from Berlin

Matthias

Heritage_Colonial_Amp_EU_230V_00025.jpeg

Heritage_Colonial_Amp_EU_230V_00016.jpeg

Here's what I do know.  Many boutique, American amps are capable of running on 230V supply; they need to be configured to do so.  Obviously, your friend's Colonial is and is so labeled.  The transformer in the Colonial is so revolutionary that Mr. Cochrane received a US patent.  Instead of running two different preamps and calling them "Marshall" and "Fender" he used different taps from the transformer to mimic the differences between Fender and Marshall transformers.  His design is the only one to do this and does the very best job of producing both brands in one amplifier.

You have a few options:
Either procure a step-down transformer because you know your amp was configured for US standard voltage.
Put your amp next to your friends and see if you can identify the different leads.  Be careful, there may be caps and resisters elsewhere that are specific to the EU voltage.
My Favorite: Find a competent repair shop and have them test the leads to see if your transformer is capable of running on 230V.  Bring Mr. Cochrane's phone number and have the tech call if necessary.

If you can get a number off the transformer (you said it was a Mercury Mag unit)  I would contact them to see if they have a spec sheet for it.    That said,  PaulC should know what he put in those amps.   And, yes, I know how nicely they are put together.  I"ve got a Patriot.   The workmanship is fabulous.

Its not out of the realm of possibility that they sourced 240v transformers for the overseas market.   I think I would opt for the stepdown transformer.  You can get them for under $100.   Otherwise you are risking burning out the unit. 

It would be a shame for all that lovely work to go up in smoke!

Archived