Heritage Owners Club

Fuzz pedals

skydog52

Hello,

I'm in the search of a Fuzz pedal. Spirit in the Sky type sound.

Looking for some suggestions on Fuzz pedals. 

Thanks

whew lots of options out there

for "spirit in the sky" Norman Greenbaum actually used the built in fuzz circuit on his guitar. ( I asked him one time ) someone has probably built a pedal to emulate that

I bet a standard fuzzface would get you there, I have one & it does the job!

A friend of mine from high school does these custom hand builts...  Pretty damn Impressive. 

I was looking at his Facebook page tonight, actually first time I'd dove into his page,  and there was a clip of Jake Kershaw from PSP12., using one of Rick's works

https://www.facebook.com/jacob.kershaw.148/videos/2106087493054541/UzpfSTE2NTIzNTc5NDk6MTAyMTEwMjIzNTE2Njg3MDc/

capture_001_10082019_202323.jpg

On Instagram

Rick Crownover

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a used BBE Windowpane Silicon Fuzz.  I'm only seeing it for sale at MF for $119.  Mine didn't even cost 1/2 that much.

While not having a lot of experience with Fuzz I have so far found it to sound like some of my favorite Smashing Pumpkin songs off the Siamese Dream album from when I was in school.

According to the manufacture, its a Silicon Fuzz that is supposed to sound like the original Hendrix Fuzz Face.  I really like it so far.

"Windowpane's two sequentially-wired silicon transistors are properly biased at the factory and the tone is dialed in with a carefully selected treble roll-off on the second transistor, recalling the slightly mellowed top end of early germanium transistor fuzz pedals. But unlike those old classics, Windowpane fuzz pedals are remarkably consistent from one to the next, thanks to reliable, predictable silicon transistors and low-tolerance 1% metal-film resistors. Add in high-voltage poly caps on a rugged circuit board and Windowpane delivers the mind-altering fuzz tone you're after, gig after gig. And when you don't want to melt faces, a properly engineered true hardwire bypass means signal passes entirely around the circuit, from input jack to output jack without a hint of loading."

You can find them rather cheap and they are the size of a normal sized pedal like Boss.  

The reviews seem to be pretty good.  A couple cork sniffers that tried it for a couple minutes then sent it back.

Its worth a chance.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bbe-windowpane-silicon-fuzz-guitar-effects-pedal

• 3 months later...

Paul, one I tried at the store yesterday was the small Band Of Gypsy's Fuzz by Dunlop, sounds great for around$120 bucks.

IMO the Spirit in the Sky tone is very spitty and falls into the fuzz category of "velco fuzz".  It's gated, kinda chops in and out.  But does the SITS thing if dialed in right.

Also look for fuzz boxes that have a "starve" function.  This knob allows you to simulate a dying battery at different voltages and really brings the "spitty"/Velcro quality.

This is not a smooth sound and honestly doesn't always sound good in isolation but killer in a mix.

• 1 month later...

I had never heard of the Plasma Pedal.   After listening to a couple of demos,  I think I'll pass.   It reminded me of the Fender Blender I had back in the 70s, which wasn't the best fuzz pedal out there.   I preferred my Jordan BossTone, or the Fuzzface that was stolen.    These day,  give me a Tubescreamer, and I'll be happy.   I can always hit the OD2 channel on the Marshall DSL if I want things distorted.

Archived