Heritage Owners Club

New Vintage Heritage Guitar Day. Vintage Orange

skydog52

H-537

Pumpkin Spice I named her.

Thank You to Rich for test driving this one for me.

For a 29 year old guitar this one is in great shape. Not many of these made and I've always like the single cutaway.

H-537 1.jpg 8.jpg

H-537 1.jpg 7.jpg

H-537 1.jpg 6.jpg

H-537 1.jpg 4.jpg

H-537 1.jpg 2.jpg

H-537 1.jpg

I am loving the sound on this one.

From what I have found out they are Schallers. They sound a lot like the HRWs but better to my amateur ears. Maybe the genesis of them.

I will be replacing some of the tarnished hardware and will get the frets leveled. A couple dead spots way up there.

The rosewood boards where special back then. Brazilian? I don't know.

Anxious to pull the pickups and see what's under the hood.

Very Happy Camper here!

7 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

Nice vintage snatch. 

It sure looks a LOT like the catalogue photo.  It even has the non-typical 3 adjustment screws per pickup as in the catalogue.  Never seen that before.  Could they be the same guitar??

Somebody beat me to it...

Congrats!

Glad to see that you nabbed it, Skydog!    I thought about making them an offer, but decided I don't need another one.   It did play pretty well, and yes, I think the pickups are "massaged" a bit compared to the standard Schallers.   They had some really nice clarity, especially through a silverface twin.   I really should have plugged it into the TwoRock Akoya they had out there!

After the fret dressing, it should really play nicely.   I wouldn't even bother changing the tarnished hardware.   A little natural patina never hurts.

4 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Nice vintage snatch. 

It sure looks a LOT like the catalogue photo.  It even has the non-typical 3 adjustment screws per pickup as in the catalogue.  Never seen that before.  Could they be the same guitar??

I did a bit of checking and found about 3 other examples with different serial numbers but the same vintage orange and the same 3 screw pickups with smooth covers.    It must have been something they tried on that model.   This one was a "second"  on Reverb.   There was a thread years ago on HOC about an ebay listing (2015).   Jay Wolfe talked about Paul Yandell owning one for a while.

image.png.6aee68c620c9dbe10c22688128fb3df0.png

2 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I did a bit of checking and found about 3 other examples with different serial numbers but the same vintage orange and the same 3 screw pickups with smooth covers.    It must have been something they tried on that model.   This one was a "second"  on Reverb.   There was a thread years ago on HOC about an ebay listing (2015).   Jay Wolfe talked about Paul Yandell owning one for a while.

"Veery Interesting!"

image.png.fde925bc287e3e610c4fc8348c9d55d5.png

Love that VO finish, such a cool color, and the guitar looks alot like my VO 574 with the single cut. I like ike the PG too, is that a replacement by chance? My 574 has the contoured Heritage PG. 

Thank You for all nice comments.

I have only seen this model in Vintage Orange. I am sure there must have been other colors.

This guitar is all original. The tuners I will probably replace, they are a little loose and crusty.

Someday I would like to put a nice flamed maple pickguard on it. 

The previous owner must have been a smoker so it has that going for it but it's not bad. 

I have been cleaning up the finish and hardware and that has taking some of the smell away.  I put a couple

dryer sheets in the f-holes for a few days and that took care of the smell on the inside.

The main thing I am so happy with this guitar is the tone and sustain this one has. Even unplugged.

This one has the perfect combination of wood package and pickups meshing together.  Tone Heaven!

That is a nice guitar my man! What do those pickups sound like?

Love the shape, love the color (looks very vintage Gretsch like which I love), but I would junk the hardware and put some nice nickel faber stuff on there and a flame pickguard. 

Recently I played a Heritage in Salt Lake City with that body shape, and it took my by surprise how comfortable it was.

For the smell issue leave the case open in the sun in your backyard, it works wonders for the smoker smell! 

Just to buck the conventional thinkers on here, that model resembles a thin body Gretsch 6120 with the single cutaway and orange color.

So in being different, I think a Bigsby and Filtertron pickups would be awesome on that guitar.... 

In all seriousness, nice snatch.  Play her in good health.

Archived