Heritage Owners Club

150 guitars, Where's Waldo?

rwinking

Here's a video of a piece being performed in Canada for 150 electric guitars. I spotted an H-535 at 3:27. Any others?

Boy, do I need to get a life!

Kind of a cool piece too.

Love it! Hearing that performance in that huge acoustic space must have been a tremendous experience - no artificial reverb needed! At the end of the performance you can hear the sound reverberating around the hall for about five seconds before the audience bursts into applause. Also great to see in the credits that in addition to the sixteen "Guitaristes professionnels" there were lots of "Guitaristes communautaires", i.e. enthusiastic amateurs.

It reminded me of a concert I took part in back in 1995 as part of the Nottingham Guitar Festival. The ensemble of 20 guitarists (a mix of acoustic and electric players) played two pieces which I was involved in - Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint, a piece by composer Jeremy Peyton-Jones - and a third which was for just the acoustic players - Domino Figures by Wayne Siegel. This last piece involved the players sitting in a semi-circle, and a number of short musical phrases. The first player starts with the first phrase, then when they play the second phrase, they nod to the player on their left who plays the first phrase, and so on. In that way the music is passed along in the way a row of dominoes might fall...

Thanks Bobby!  That is cool. I am amazed that nobody hit each other when they were shifting. It reminded me a little of Steve Reich’s 18 with the shifting soundscapes. You mentioned electric counterpoint by him. Was that written for guitars too?

1 hour ago, rwinking said:

Thanks Bobby!  That is cool. I am amazed that nobody hit each other when they were shifting. It reminded me a little of Steve Reich’s 18 with the shifting soundscapes. You mentioned electric counterpoint by him. Was that written for guitars too?

It was. Steve Reich collaborated with Pat Metheny, who helped with the guitar's "musical vernacular" and made the first recording. For live solo performance there are 10 guitar and 2 bass parts which are pre-recorded, while the 11th guitar part is played live. Here's Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood performing it at the 2014 Glastonbury Festival...

It was also sampled by the Orb on their Little Fluffy Clouds track.

Archived