Heritage Owners Club

Pre Purchase Information

Stavesk

Hey Guys,

I had to send you a question about a beautiful Heritage guitar I am about to purchase.

The guy says he bought it from 2007 and that it is a H-140 model but by the pictures it looks a bit different than a standard H-140, the bridge and the stop tail is different but those can be change, what interesting is the horn, it seems like the less pointy H-150 horn and not like the H-140, wondering what model could it be.

Please shed some light on this guitar, I absolutely love it!

I attached some photos of it. 

Thank you!

67e50e1d-435f-4919-8c9f-5098321347de.jpeg

ee7e26ca-124f-4ecb-85bb-89366bf24b4d.jpeg

Looks like a 150 to me. The 140s I know (mine included) have the pointy horn. Don't let the owner see the cavity. If it says it's a 150 buy it as a 140 as it should be cheaper.

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Hmmm...Looks like an H150P (Poplar).  The control cavity label should help solve the mystery.

My first thoughts too!

The H-140 second generation is a rarely seen Heritage.  It has the shape of the H-150, but is not quite as thick and has dot inlays. 

There are a few old H-150 models that have the dot inlays also..  best to check the tag inside the control cavity . 

Bingo!

The 1st generation of the H140 had a sharp cutaway and an unbound rosewood fretboard with dot inlays.

The 2nd generation of the H140 had a 150 cutaway, but bound neck.  Still had dot inlays.

On both models, the body is thinner and the upper bout is slightly narrower.

I've had both models.

I'll try to dig up some pictures of both I've had.

Thank you so much everybody!

I think the DetroitBlues has the right answer, at least it seems like it is a 2nd generation H140.

As i remember by seeing the sticker inside the control cavity I didn't see any builder information or signature, about an exact model I don't recall seeing anything

The double screws on the bridge pickups suggests Schallers, however,  if you look closely, there is a black dot on the selector switch which would normally indicated HRWs, which are Rendal Wall's modifications of the standard Schaller pickup.    The obvious way to determine what they are is to pull them up and check the back.   HRWs will be labeled.  This shows both pickups.

gallery_139_80_19412.jpg

The neck pickup could still be the original, with a replacement mounting ring.   Schaller pickups actually have 3 adjustment screw holes per side, so you can go with single or double screws.

• 3 months later...

I never thought about it before but there are 3 versions of the 137.  The first has a sharp horn.  The second doesn't but it has humbuckers, where the third, and most prolific version, has the fat neck and P-90s. 

7 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

I never thought about it before but there are 3 versions of the 137.  The first has a sharp horn.  The second doesn't but it has humbuckers, where the third, and most prolific version, has the fat neck and P-90s. 

I don't remember 3 versions of a 137.  I assumed any with a humbucker were special order.  Especially do not remember any stock models having fat necks.  Marv and crew seemed to love the thin, flat d-shaped pencil-neck guitars for the longest time unless someone asked for something beefier.

16 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

I don't remember 3 versions of a 137.  I assumed any with a humbucker were special order.  Especially do not remember any stock models having fat necks.  Marv and crew seemed to love the thin, flat d-shaped pencil-neck guitars for the longest time unless someone asked for something beefier.

Josh, neck carves are hard to interpret.  I like a wide neck from top to bottom and thin from front to back.  The neck on the 3rd versions of the 137 I have owned had a neck carved like the HFT-445 Accoustic I sold Steiner.  It always felt thick to me.  My daughter's 137 doesn't have p-90s but the body is shaped the same as the 3rd version except the neck is thinner than the 3rd edition.  That guitar is a 2nd edition.  The first edition had the sharp horn.  My current 137 was a custom build and it has a thinner neck and is carved for humbuckers.  I have Phat Cats in my daughter's guitar.  The custom order came with Lollar Imperials.  I got it from Guitar Sphincter second hand.  The funny thing is that it is almost the same as my buddy's 150 Special.  They weigh the same even with the 150 having a carved maple top. 

Rumor is that there is a pod of white 1st edition 140s out there.  All of them with broken headstocks.  Arrghhh...

Good discussion!

2-137.jpg

dscf5701_std.jpg

After thinking about it I realize that I am wrong about the 137.  There wasn't a 137 with a sharp horn.  I was getting it confused with the 140.  I wish I could blame it on age...

4 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Well, not sure about any white 1st Gen 140's, but here is a B Serial Number (1985) H140....

H140 H155 (2).JPG

Mmmmmmmmmm...

On 1/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, High Flying Bird said:

After thinking about it I realize that I am wrong about the 137.  There wasn't a 137 with a sharp horn.  I was getting it confused with the 140.  I wish I could blame it on age...

I knew you were wrong soon as I read your comments. But I wasn't about to argue. Didn't want you driving all the way down to Florida to put a Bama whoopin on me. 

On 9/11/2019 at 6:05 PM, Gitfiddler said:

Hmmm...Looks like an H150P (Poplar).  The control cavity label should help solve the mystery.

I thought all 150's were popular. I have 4 of them so they certainly are with me!

Archived