Heritage Owners Club

Ditching the Schaller pickups

JustSomeGuy

I’ve owned my 1986 Heritage H-140 for a number of years now and was never really happy with the stock pickups that came with the guitar. I’ve weighed the Advantages/disadvantages of keeping it stock for awhile, but finally decided to get rid of the Schaller’s for a nice modern hand built set of Darkmoon’s. I should have made the switch years ago as the guitar sounds a 100% better.

I have heard people defend the Schallers here quite a bit. However I have yet to see anyone go back to the Schallers after trying another pickup.

I have seen Duncan’s, Dimarzio’s, HRW’s, etc. for sale on this forum and they all seem to sell.I have yet to see a set of Schallers be fought over. I know this is the wrong place to do this, but if you want to buy some Schallers, please contact me.

1 hour ago, rwinking said:

I have heard people defend the Schallers here quite a bit. However I have yet to see anyone go back to the Schallers after trying another pickup.

I have seen Duncan’s, Dimarzio’s, HRW’s, etc. for sale on this forum and they all seem to sell.I have yet to see a set of Schallers be fought over. I know this is the wrong place to do this, but if you want to buy some Schallers, please contact me.

I’m good, I’ll never put the Schallers back in this guitar again 

I had a H-535 with Schaller pickups.  I thought about changing out the pickups, but traded it in on a new H-535 with Seth Lover pickups.  I really like the sound of the Seth Lovers. The Schallers have a little too muddy of a sound for my ears and style of music. Sound is so subjective.

I’ll just keep the Darkmoon’s, I love their sound and I like the company. I understand that Seth Lover and Antiquities are awesome pickups,  but I just have a preference for the Darkmoon company and they will custom build anything you want at a reasonable price.

12 hours ago, rwinking said:

Right.  Schallers can sound very good and are reliable, and I wouldn't complain about them in any guitar, but ....  

How much people like the schallers seems to be based a lot on the guitar they are in. For solid bodies, they tend to fair well. Others love them in semi-hollow bodied guitars.

They have really nice cleans, however I feel that when you go to the dirty side is when they don't really have that "classic" sound that most people want from a pickup.  They are too nice, when you want just a bit of 'RUDE'.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:27 PM, y2kc said:

I know this may sound weird but when I find a Heritage H-140 with original Schaller parts I make it work for me.

A 1986 140 is a beautiful thing in my book.

my 2cents,

y2kc

I have a 1986 H-140 and it was fine with the Schallers. However, I put a set of Dimarzio PAF' Master's in and it was even finer.

Kind of like going to DQ and getting ice cream and being OK with it. Then you get some Ben and Jerry's....

Again, I'm not sure if anyone on this forum changed back to the Schaller's after putting something else in.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/3/2019 at 1:16 PM, kennyv4 said:

I had a H-535 with Schaller pickups.  I thought about changing out the pickups, but traded it in on a new H-535 with Seth Lover pickups.  I really like the sound of the Seth Lovers. The Schallers have a little too muddy of a sound for my ears and style of music. Sound is so subjective.

I swapped the Schallers in my H157 for Seths and loved the change. Maybe it was the magnets..who knows?

On 10/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, Millennium Maestro said:

Take this as a statement that you like A2 magnet based pickups that are unpotted... Like myself

If you want to experiment on sound a step further, Try a set of Antiquities... The only difference is the Rough cast A2 magnet which I CHERISH tonally

+1 on the Antiquities, they are so sweet in my 535.. actually a 535 Special from Wolfe's. A special run they did around 2006 I believe.

The Schallers, especially the modded HRW's may really shine in a jazz box..there are youtubes of Henry Johnson playing his 550 that sound great. BTY, the youtubes are great free lessons as well, picked up some new ideas.

Archived