Heritage Owners Club

Why You Need a Boost

In my previous topic, I talked about stacking my overdrive and boost pedal.

In this video from JHS, it makes the case for needing a boost pedal.

One of my favorite guitar players, Davy Knowles up until recently was using a Pete Cornish NBM-2 Boost.

This was some sort of Treble boost and I've read previous about other Treble boosts being a pedal that makes a guitar jump out on a mix.

I prefer more mid-range then treble.  After watching this video from Josh at JHS, I realized the old Dallas Rangemaster Treble boost was more than just that.  It enhanced mids and overdrived the amp.

I use a boost, in my case the CAE Line Driver, as the last pedal in the chain of my effects loop for the push up into "solo" mode. 

If I'm playing through an amp with a dedicated solo mode (Boogie) it doesn't get touched. 

So this guy in the JHS pedal video....he talks about using this or that pedal. If I were to do the math it would probably take him several lifetimes to actually use each of his pedals for, say, 10 gigs each in order to really get how the pedal is. 

I have been really happy with the line 6 Helix rack and all of it’s pedals. However with the 25-30 pedals it emulates, plus using them in tandem for EQ and other sounds, I feel I have barely scratched the surface. Not sure if any of you have seen this where the Helix goes head to head with a couple of old analog pedals. I love the ol’ man’s expressions..... My experience has been really good with them and I will probably never go back to analog pedals:   

16 hours ago, rwinking said:

So this guy in the JHS pedal video....he talks about using this or that pedal. If I were to do the math it would probably take him several lifetimes to actually use each of his pedals for, say, 10 gigs each in order to really get how the pedal is. 

I have been really happy with the line 6 Helix rack and all of it’s pedals. However with the 25-30 pedals it emulates, plus using them in tandem for EQ and other sounds, I feel I have barely scratched the surface. Not sure if any of you have seen this where the Helix goes head to head with a couple of old analog pedals. I love the ol’ man’s expressions..... My experience has been really good with them and I will probably never go back to analog pedals:   

I avoid the multi-effects pedals simply because I get into tweaker paralysis.  I'll spend way too much time tweaking the effects to the point of not playing.

I have a handful of pedals going into a set it and forget amp configuration.

While Josh H Scott of JHS pedals (who is the host of the videos) shows a multitude of pedal options, its just that options.  Just like your Helix options with more amp/cab/pedal combinations than the entire shelf of pedals behind Josh.

He has yet another video showing the most essential pedals to have.  Another good one to watch.  

I have a limited amount of pedals and a limited amount of gear.  I don't play out anymore nor do I play a wide variety of music.  Other than a distortion pedal of some sort, I'm really done with pedals... Maybe a compressor... or a volume pedal.... or a phaser....or an octave pedal... or... or...or...  

10 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

.  .  .  Other than a distortion pedal of some sort, I'm really done with pedals... Maybe a compressor... or a volume pedal.... or a phaser....or an octave pedal... or... or...or...  

And a good Vibe

Everyone needs a Vibe.

I've used mine twice and it was superb both times.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:25 PM, DetroitBlues said:

I have a limited amount of pedals and a limited amount of gear.  I don't play out anymore nor do I play a wide variety of music.  Other than a distortion pedal of some sort, I'm really done with pedals... Maybe a compressor... or a volume pedal.... or a phaser....or an octave pedal... or... or...or...  

LOL, that's how it gets ?
but....it's not the pedals, right?

On 10/14/2019 at 11:54 PM, buzzy said:

And a good Vibe

Everyone needs a Vibe.

I've used mine twice and it was superb both times.

right, a good vibe is always needed

That's Robben Ford, a vintage 53 Telecaster a Dumble Overdrive Special and a boost....a touch of spring reverb and that's all needed to spend a lifetime ?

(compared I'm a grain of sand in a continental beach facing the ocean)

On 10/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, Gianluca said:

That's Robben Ford, a vintage 53 Telecaster a Dumble Overdrive Special and a boost....a touch of spring reverb and that's all needed to spend a lifetime ?

(compared I'm a grain of sand in a continental beach facing the ocean)

Nice demo. I'm a big fan of Robben Ford, and the Tele would be his 1960, rather than a '53 as they didn't introduce rosewood boards until 1959. Also the ODS doesn't have reverb built in, so I reckon the reverb is the natural reverb of the room - lots of nice wooden surfaces! These days he uses a TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb on his pedal board, and you can download a couple of his custom settings via their Toneprint technology. Apologies for the pedantry...

2 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

Nice demo. I'm a big fan of Robben Ford, and the Tele would be his 1960, rather than a '53 as they didn't introduce rosewood boards until 1959. Also the ODS doesn't have reverb built in, so I reckon the reverb is the natural reverb of the room - lots of nice wooden surfaces! These days he uses a TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb on his pedal board, and you can download a couple of his custom settings via their Toneprint technology. Apologies for the pedantry...

Right, May 1959 Slab Rosewood fingerboard, sorry for the wrong info.
I was referring to a touch of Reverb I'd use ?

no pedantry at all, fan of RB here too, thanks for the corrections, story of his Telecaster:

2 hours ago, Gianluca said:

Right, May 1959 Slab Rosewood fingerboard, sorry for the wrong info.
I was referring to a touch of Reverb I'd use ?

no pedantry at all, fan of RB here too, thanks for the corrections, story of his Telecaster:

The last minute of that video illustrates exactly why I love his playing.

4 minutes ago, bobmeyrick said:

The last minute of that video illustrates exactly why I love his playing.

I think I can understand, I saw him live 3 times and been at his Master Class in Rome at "La Casa del Jazz" (spectacular venue) 

pic is me with Him (I'm on the left ? )
at the meet & greet after the Master Class, nice man and guitar player
(and sorry again for mis-informing)

• 1 month later...

Archived