Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Guitars... now at Sweetwater?

DetroitBlues

On 10/17/2019 at 11:46 AM, davesultra said:

The zero % financing isn’t all that attractive once you figure in sales tax. I’ll keep buying used. But yes, a good move for “H”.

It's probably been close to a year or so since I've bought anything from them, so I may not be aware of any possible recent changes, but to date I've never paid sales tax on anything I've ever bought from Sweetwater.

$2400.00 for a new Heritage guitar. Why was I thinking that they were asking a whole lot more than that? For some reason I was thinking the price was a thousand dollars higher than that.... like $3400.00 or $3600.00. Did the prices perhaps shoot WAY up there for a time right after the sale of company and the new owners were calling the shots but then later came back down to what they are now? Maybe I'm just confusing the normal prices of different brands.

59 minutes ago, HANGAR18 said:

$2400.00 for a new Heritage guitar. Why was I thinking that they were asking a whole lot more than that? For some reason I was thinking the price was a thousand dollars higher than that.... like $3400.00 or $3600.00. Did the prices perhaps shoot WAY up there for a time right after the sale of company and the new owners were calling the shots but then later came back down to what they are now? Maybe I'm just confusing the normal prices of different brands.

The 535 cost a lot more.  I thought they used to be the same as a 150?

Two things...

1) The Standard Eagle Classic is the prettiest Heritage guitar I've ever seen https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EagCLSOS--heritage-guitar-inc-standard-eagle-classic-original-sunburst

2) Sweetwater is full of crap, they come on as experts, yet I've had them recommend recording equipment packages that wouldn't work together, they cold call on me all the time disguising it as follow ups to stuff I've bought (strings, picks, a microphone stand accessory) which I find totally distasteful, they brag about their thorough guitar inspection, yet I can't count the times I've read of people opening boxes from sweetwater and finding all sorts of problems they should have been caught by their infamous Sweetwater 55 point guitar inspection*, and they can't even get the address of right of The Heritage Company.

*https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/sweetwater-55-pt-inspection.1903765/

6 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

It's probably been close to a year or so since I've bought anything from them, so I may not be aware of any possible recent changes, but to date I've never paid sales tax on anything I've ever bought from Sweetwater.

My understanding is that it varies from state to state. However every Sweetwater purchase I’ve made in the last year or so has had sales tax added in. It sucks, but knew the internet tax free train was going to come to a halt at some point.

37 minutes ago, skydog52 said:

Other than the financing option I would rather order direct from Heritage. 

I've wondered about custom orders too.  Most likely, I wouldn't like the neck on the models at Sweetwater... Probably too thin for me... B)

11 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

Two things...

1) The Standard Eagle Classic is the prettiest Heritage guitar I've ever seen https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EagCLSOS--heritage-guitar-inc-standard-eagle-classic-original-sunburst

2) Sweetwater is full of crap, they come on as experts, yet I've had them recommend recording equipment packages that wouldn't work together, they cold call on me all the time disguising it as follow ups to stuff I've bought (strings, picks, a microphone stand accessory) which I find totally distasteful, they brag about their thorough guitar inspection, yet I can't count the times I've read of people opening boxes from sweetwater and finding all sorts of problems they should have been caught by their infamous Sweetwater 55 point guitar inspection*, and they can't even get the address of right of The Heritage Company.

*https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/sweetwater-55-pt-inspection.1903765/

Never had an issue, but I guess the 55 point is only as good as the person evaluating them.

I've purchased 7 guitars from them, all of them were fantastic. 

• Fender Classic 60's Stratocaster
  • Fender Standard 3TSB LE
  • Gibson Les Paul Standard
  • 2x PRS Starla S2
  •  Gibson J-15
  • Martin D-16RGT

Three Amps:

• Marshall DSL40C
  • Fender Acoustic 100
  • Marshall DSL40R

Numerous pedals, strings, tuners, hardware, pickups, pedal boards, guitar cases....

Someone over on TGP is claiming that they just "pre-ordered" a new H150 from Sweetwater but was told that there would be a 5 to 6 month until they received it.

Are there waits involved when purchasing thru Musicians Friend or Guitar Center.com as well?

4 minutes ago, Polo said:

Someone over on TGP is claiming that they just "pre-ordered" a new H150 from Sweetwater but was told that there would be a 5 to 6 month until they received it.

Are there waits involved when purchasing thru Musicians Friend or Guitar Center.com as well?

I was looking at the website, they do say pre-order not in stock.  6 months seems to be long, I'd figured they had a stock of them already unless they sold out rather quickly.

56 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

I was looking at the website, they do say pre-order not in stock.  6 months seems to be long, I'd figured they had a stock of them already unless they sold out rather quickly.

I thought the whole allure of buying thru one of these online retailers (besides financing) was that you could see pictures and get specs of the exact guitar you were purchasing.

These guys would have been smarter to build up in inventory before they launched the product.

Either way, it's nice to see Heritage out there in the mainstream. I wish them all the best!

1 hour ago, Polo said:

I thought the whole allure of buying thru one of these online retailers (besides financing) was that you could see pictures and get specs of the exact guitar you were purchasing.

These guys would have been smarter to build up in inventory before they launched the product.

Either way, it's nice to see Heritage out there in the mainstream. I wish them all the best!

They did have Eagles in stock. They may have sold out what they originally ordered.

4 hours ago, Polo said:

They must have picked one of those "Dirty Lemon" VSB's or something because Sweetwater has the normal Heritage models in stock right now.

6 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Never had an issue, but I guess the 55 point is only as good as the person evaluating them.

I've purchased 7 guitars from them, all of them were fantastic. 

• Fender Classic 60's Stratocaster
  • Fender Standard 3TSB LE
  • Gibson Les Paul Standard
  • 2x PRS Starla S2
  •  Gibson J-15
  • Martin D-16RGT

Three Amps:

• Marshall DSL40C
  • Fender Acoustic 100
  • Marshall DSL40R

Numerous pedals, strings, tuners, hardware, pickups, pedal boards, guitar cases....

I'm happy for you but my as I said they recommended a computer based recording system for me that the pieces wouldn't have worked together, and they talked liked they were experts, which they weren't, far from it. In actuality they were reading from literature anyone could have read from. And as I said their cold calling is ridiculous when they say they are doing follows on equipment like strings, picks, and accesories.

11 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I'm happy for you but my as I said they recommended a computer based recording system for me that the pieces wouldn't have worked together, and they talked liked they were experts, which they weren't, far from it. In actuality they were reading from literature anyone could have read from. And as I said their cold calling is ridiculous when they say they are doing follows on equipment like strings, picks, and accesories.

12 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

That's not good.  I'm usually basis my own gear research on my own, I've never really asked for any of their advice.

Almost every purchase comes with a follow up weeks later asking about the gear I purchased.  I usually buy my strings locally and my wife buys me dozens of picks every year, so I have bought those in years either....

I've been buying from Sweetwater for years, and never had a problem.   In the last 5 years, I've probably gotten 3 calls from them.   I get a couple of emails from them each week.  In contrast,  I get at least 2 or 3 emails a day from Musicians Friend, and most are not from "Musicians Friend" .  Instead, its Amy Podunk from Musicians Friend, or Joe Schmoe from Musicians friend.   There's no easy way to sort them and quickly delete 20 or 30 messages without going through each one.   I've got at least three different "personal reps" none of whom I have ever dealt with.   The only good thing is that occasionally they will send out 20 or 25% discounts.   I've used that to get some equipment that I was thinking about purchasing but just looking to see if I could find a better deal.

The funny thing was that a couple of times I mentioned it to my rep at Sweetwater, and they gave me the same discount.   

When I was looking for a case to use with my Guild S100,  I call my rep and asked about a particular Gator case.   A couple hours later, I had an email with pictures of one of the current S100s  in the case.   He made a couple of comments about the fit (tight on the upper horn but not binding or anything).   It turns out that I was making a trip up to our plant 30 miles west of Ft Wayne a few weeks later.   After work, i drove over and talked to him.  He went back to the warehouse, pulled the case, and an S100 for me to look at.   I took it home with me.   That was serviced that's just as good as I've gotten from some of my local stores (there are still a few).   Unfortunately they don't have the selection that Sweetwater has. 

I'm surprised that they would recommend recording equipment that wouldn't work together.  Chuck started the business doing recordings on old Teac and Tascam gear.   Maybe it was a rep who wasn't that up on recording gear.  There is SO MUCH stuff out these days, and it is changing constantly.  FWIW they've got 3 REALLY NICE recording studios on site.   Their mic locker is the size of my bathroom, and filled with mics.    

I always stop by on my way back from K'zoo in August, just to see what's new.   Its a huge complex.   I remember when it was a little store front with a metal warehouse behind for the mail orders.   They've grown a lot, and that wouldn't happen it they were just a bunch of screwups.  

4 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

I've been buying from Sweetwater for years, and never had a problem.   In the last 5 years, I've probably gotten 3 calls from them.   I get a couple of emails from them each week.  In contrast,  I get at least 2 or 3 emails a day from Musicians Friend, and most are not from "Musicians Friend" .  Instead, its Amy Podunk from Musicians Friend, or Joe Schmoe from Musicians friend.   There's no easy way to sort them and quickly delete 20 or 30 messages without going through each one.   I've got at least three different "personal reps" none of whom I have ever dealt with.   The only good thing is that occasionally they will send out 20 or 25% discounts.   I've used that to get some equipment that I was thinking about purchasing but just looking to see if I could find a better deal.

The funny thing was that a couple of times I mentioned it to my rep at Sweetwater, and they gave me the same discount.   

When I was looking for a case to use with my Guild S100,  I call my rep and asked about a particular Gator case.   A couple hours later, I had an email with pictures of one of the current S100s  in the case.   He made a couple of comments about the fit (tight on the upper horn but not binding or anything).   It turns out that I was making a trip up to our plant 30 miles west of Ft Wayne a few weeks later.   After work, i drove over and talked to him.  He went back to the warehouse, pulled the case, and an S100 for me to look at.   I took it home with me.   That was serviced that's just as good as I've gotten from some of my local stores (there are still a few).   Unfortunately they don't have the selection that Sweetwater has. 

I'm surprised that they would recommend recording equipment that wouldn't work together.  Chuck started the business doing recordings on old Teac and Tascam gear.   Maybe it was a rep who wasn't that up on recording gear.  There is SO MUCH stuff out these days, and it is changing constantly.  FWIW they've got 3 REALLY NICE recording studios on site.   Their mic locker is the size of my bathroom, and filled with mics.    

I always stop by on my way back from K'zoo in August, just to see what's new.   Its a huge complex.   I remember when it was a little store front with a metal warehouse behind for the mail orders.   They've grown a lot, and that wouldn't happen it they were just a bunch of screwups.  

Sweetwater is one of the only (if not the only) online retailer I trust.  I always deal with my rep, Marshall Oliver.  He's done a great job for me over the years.  Not pushing, always likes to listen about my musical interests.  Not even a car dealer does as good of a job as he does for me.

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

don't get me started on Musician's Friend....

6 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

That's not good.  I'm usually basis my own gear research on my own, I've never really asked for any of their advice.

Almost every purchase comes with a follow up weeks later asking about the gear I purchased.  I usually buy my strings locally and my wife buys me dozens of picks every year, so I have bought those in years either....

This recording gear was at the edge of new technology, so any advice was helpful, but fortunately, I did a lot of reading of online manuals and found out it wouldn't work before I wasted the money, or at best had to return stuff, which I hate! I typically buy strings and picks in bulk from a few different string retailers.

Archived