Heritage Owners Club

Artisan Aged Heritages..

DetroitBlues

I know its fake and many think its wrong to buy brand new guitars that look battle worn... The relic'd look doesn't appeal to many, but it seems like its here to stay.  While its not earning its stripes the right way, there is just something about a worn in guitar.

I was looking at Sweetwater's Artisan Aged H-150.  And you know what?  I think its absolutely beautiful.  Not overly worn out, but just enough to be noticed.  Not being so glossy or the hardware being a little on the crusty side looks just awesome to me.  Knowing the price is the same as a normal H150 is rather surprising, but cannot find a custom shop guitar anywhere else at that price.

75ddd4-H150AADLB_angle.jpg.auto.webp

But I'm not in the market.... 

Here's my question.... Why would it be easier for me to just buy a guitar that's already worn in, dented, scratched, faded, and tarnished by someone's aging process but there is no way in hell I'd let anyone age my guitars or do anything that might show signs distress?  

Would you do this to one of your Heritages???

I like the look of a worn in guitar but I don't think I'd bother doing something like this to a guitar I already own.  There are plenty of "Artist" worn Heritages out there to be had if that's your flavor.  

I don't see that guitar as "worn in" as you call it.  I see it as damaged...needlessly.  I don't mind honest wear, but even if a guitar has honest wear, if that wear begins to bring the functionally or playability into question, it gets repaired.

Old guitars are cool.   

New guitars that were processed to look old are NOT COOL!   ?

My H140 is 35 years old, and it still looks great. Slightly dull but no checking. My Guild S100 has a few stress cracks in the finish, but nothing like the checking that people do when they "age" a guitar.  It's still shiny.  Of course, Its only 45 years old.    I've got an old Gibson lapsteel that is only 75 years old and it's not all crazed and cracked.

Maybe my guitars aren't old enough yet.

1 hour ago, TalismanRich said:

Old guitars are cool.   

New guitars that were processed to look old are NOT COOL!   ?

My H140 is 35 years old, and it still looks great. Slightly dull but no checking. My Guild S100 has a few stress cracks in the finish, but nothing like the checking that people do when they "age" a guitar.  It's still shiny.  Of course, Its only 45 years old.    I've got an old Gibson lapsteel that is only 75 years old and it's not all crazed and cracked.

Maybe my guitars aren't old enough yet.

My Strat, while being mostly polyester finish, has checking and a bit hazy now.  The chrome isn't pitted, but it has a crappy die-cast bridge/block from a 70's cost savings initiative.  

Dealers love them. All the tire kickers that come and and abuse them adds to the aged look and it doesn't hurt the value.

• 3 months later...

Archived