Heritage Owners Club

What a fun NAD, Clark Beaumont Premium!!!

Oh my I lost about 3 hours today in a killer tone wonderland! The clean tones are about as harmonically complex as I've ever heard, and the dirty tone... WICKED GOOD.

Michael Clark has actually been building 5E3 amps longer than Fender did while these were in production, and holy moly does he have it down to a science. I've been looking for one of these for awhile on the used market, along with a Victoria 20112, which is Victoria's take on the 5E3. Both of these models are pretty expensive new for a grab and go amp, but occasionally one of them will pop up for a reasonable price. This one did, and I jumped. Funny thing, as many amps as I've owned, I haven't owned a 5E3. I have a friend that has two original 50's Fenders and I always loved playing his so why I haven't owned one always came down to the expense. The originals, in good condition, cost a fortune. But recently I played a Victoria 20112 that I loved so that's what started me on the hunt for a 5E3. And there's quite a few people building 5E3 style amps, but Michael Clark''s name kept on coming up as the one who's been doing it the longest so I kept my eye out for one of his. The one I got has a Celestion Blue speaker in it so it's not totally traditional. I spent hours playing with the two interactive volume controls with the amp channels both jumpered and not. What a variety of tones this thing is capable of getting, especially considering that this amp design came from the 1950's! Okay enough gushing, here it is...

FBprC5G.jpg

On 10/22/2019 at 5:55 PM, rockabilly69 said:

The clean tones are about as harmonically complex as I've ever heard

I'd love to hear that, especially how it holds up on the bass notes.  Don't go to any trouble, I figured you might record it at some point anyway!

Great!  Niiiiiiiiice snaaaaaaaaaatch!  I was surprised to see a Gibby L5 in the pic, then I noticed that it was you, Dan!  That means I get to hear it in person!  Woooooooeeeeee!  You might have to ditch the acoustic rig for one of those Saturdays at The Corner Store!  

I've always been curious about those amps.  Glad yours is a real gem.  Not surprised from all I've heard about them.  Always wanted a 5E3, ever since I played a H535 through a 1953 (I think) tweed deluxe at Buffalo Brothers here in San Diego County (gone now).  That 20 minutes was  mind blowing.   Was an amazing sound.  So fun to play through.  I bet yours sounds great.  Enjoy!!!

31 minutes ago, Vanschoyck said:

I'd love to hear that, especially how it holds up on the bass notes.  Don't go to any trouble, I figured you might record it at some point anyway!

me too!

2 hours ago, Vanschoyck said:

It might get mushy up at band volumes but at the volume I record at it sounds fantastic:)

I’ve got a gig tonight which I’m rehearsing for but tomorrow I’ll try and record something for you.

1 hour ago, tsp17 said:

I've always been curious about those amps.  Glad yours is a real gem.  Not surprised from all I've heard about them.  Always wanted a 5E3, ever since I played a H535 through a 1953 (I think) tweed deluxe at Buffalo Brothers here in San Diego County (gone now).  That 20 minutes was  mind blowing.   Was an amazing sound.  So fun to play through.  I bet yours sounds great.  Enjoy!!!

That’s what it is, fun! 

1 hour ago, 212Mavguy said:

Great!  Niiiiiiiiice snaaaaaaaaaatch!  I was surprised to see a Gibby L5 in the pic, then I noticed that it was you, Dan!  That means I get to hear it in person!  Woooooooeeeeee!  You might have to ditch the acoustic rig for one of those Saturdays at The Corner Store!  

I have played my L5s at those gigs, and lately I’ve been adding a Princeton Reverb clone made by Winnie Thomas to the gigs. 

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Vanschoyck said:

Here ya go Van The Man... a little 5 minute to make demo of an old Willie Dixon song from my house to yours. Open G tuning so you can hear the bass notes...

6 hours ago, tsp17 said:

me too!

Just now, rockabilly69 said:

does it sound like you thought it would???

I really didn't know.  All the 5e3 demos I've heard feature the cranked sound; everybody wants to hear the fuzz, and they sound great but I wondered if I might be able to use one with my arch tops at a low setting.  I experimented recently with a Swart STR Tremelo and you know even at the lowest possible volume the bass notes just don't hold together.  So thank you for making a clean one.  I'm beginning to think that I need the fixed bias type amp to get a little head room at the bottom and I love my Ivy League - just need to get handy at biasing it myself without getting fried, or learn to live without it when it has to go in the shop . . . or . . . maybe I should buy a second one!

4 minutes ago, Vanschoyck said:

I really didn't know.  All the 5e3 demos I've heard feature the cranked sound; everybody wants to hear the fuzz, and they sound great but I wondered if I might be able to use one with my arch tops at a low setting.  I experimented recently with a Swart STR Tremelo and you know even at the lowest possible volume the bass notes just don't hold together.  So thank you for making a clean one.  I'm beginning to think that I need the fixed bias type amp to get a little head room at the bottom and I love my Ivy League - just need to get handy at biasing it myself without getting fried, or learn to live without it when it has to go in the shop . . . or . . . maybe I should buy a second one!

I like when the amp just starts to show it's personality, unlike the blackface amps, it has a midrange voice, which I'm sure that Ivy league has too! It's a Tweed thing. I'll make another demo for you with my ES125, but that guitar needs some new strings first:)

Archived