Heritage Owners Club

Does color affect resale value?

ficecone

Looking at a used  mid 1990s H555 in mint condition that I found online. Owner asking $1500.00 firm which seems like a fair price? Only problem is the guitar is a bright green color which I've never seen before and which is definitely not in my design wheelhouse. Aside from the color it appears mint. Would an unusual color make it harder to resell or affect the eventual sale price? 

Thanks

It has you thinking twice about it, doesn't it?  So, of course, it affects resale value.  Or, perhaps a better way to phrase it would be to say that it affects the number of the potential buyers, which affects the resale value up or down, depending on the desirability of the particular color.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I'm not saying everyone will consider green undesirable -- some may prefer it.  Myself, I would not be willing to pay as much for a green guitar as one with a more natural looking finish -- wood color of some sort, etc.  But there are other things to factor in -- how good of a deal it is in the first place, the likelihood of you actually selling it, how much you like green, etc.

Not everyone will think like me, but some will, so I would say yes, in my opinion, color affects resale value, but it's hard to say by how much.

I think it would make it harder to sell if it's a "off color" I think there's a reason you don't see a lot of green guitars. Apparently a lot of people dont like them otherwise you'd see more. If you have an off color I think you're limiting your people who might want to buy it. Does that effect cost? Not if you can find someone who wants it. 

;<)

I saw a Green 535 for sale a while back, I didn't think it looked bad.  I haven't priced out heritages for a while but $1500.00 for a mint 555 sounds like a good deal. 

18 minutes ago, goSteelers said:

It has you thinking twice about it, doesn't it?  So, of course, it affects resale value.  Or, perhaps a better way to phrase it would be to say that it affects the number of the potential buyers, which affects the resale value up or down, depending on the desirability of the particular color.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I'm not saying everyone will consider green undesirable -- some may prefer it.  Myself, I would not be willing to pay as much for a green guitar as one with a more natural looking finish -- wood color of some sort, etc.  But there are other things to factor in -- how good of a deal it is in the first place, the likelihood of you actually selling it, how much you like green, etc.

Not everyone will think like me, but some will, so I would say yes, in my opinion, color affects resale value, but it's hard to say by how much.

^^^This.

I no longer buy painted guitars; my personal preference and I own it.

That said, I have a strong draw to Heritage because of their outstanding finishes - amoungst other factors.  Years ago there was a one-off guitar with tie-dye purple, blue, green, yellow and red (IIRC) that I would pay a premium to own.  Like the Steelers fan said: "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..."

$1,500 for a 555 is an exceptional price. Sounds like there is a $500 discount already. Once I spotted a light green top double cut Millie with a darker green back and filtrons at Parsons Street.  I passed on it because I already had a 155. That was me being dumb. How does that 555 play and sound?

On used guitars, I am only concerned with condition.  I'm not partial to black guitars, but I have bought several based on their cost, condition and resale value.  If you pass on that H-555 for $1,500 send the link to me.  If the guitar is in excellent condition that is a fantastic price and you can't lose.  If you end up hating the color, I know you could sell it for more than you paid.  

One rule of thumb I've heard of and tend to agree with is that the colors Blue and Green are the colors to avoid if you are in the guitar selling business because they are the slowest selling, least popular colors to choose from. According to this same rule, the safest colors for resale are traditional colors like Black, White, Natural & Tobacco Sunburst.

Refinishing is typically not a good option as it can be difficult, expensive (as in more than what the guitar is worth) and you cannot guarantee the results will turn out how you like.

Red is also on the unsafe list to a certain degree but not at the top of the unsafe list. Me personally, I am not shy around blue or green guitars and whenever I see a Natural finish, I think to myself that the builders just got lazy and didn't want to finish building the guitar.

I own a lot of "unsafe colors", but i have what I like and I'm not trying to impress anyone else.

On October 24, 2019 at 8:18 PM, HANGAR18 said:

One rule of thumb I've heard of and tend to agree with is that the colors Blue and Green are the colors to avoid if you are in the guitar selling business because they are the slowest selling, least popular colors to choose from. According to this same rule, the safest colors for resale are traditional colors like Black, White, Natural & Tobacco Sunburst.

Refinishing is typically not a good option as it can be difficult, expensive (as in more than what the guitar is worth) and you cannot guarantee the results will turn out how you like.

Red is also on the unsafe list to a certain degree but not at the top of the unsafe list. Me personally, I am not shy around blue or green guitars and whenever I see a Natural finish, I think to myself that the builders just got lazy and didn't want to finish building the guitar.

I own a lot of "unsafe colors", but i have what I like and I'm not trying to impress anyone else.

Context is key, surf green, daphne blue. 

On 10/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, HANGAR18 said:

Ok Hangar,  gloves are off.   You just called 4 of my guitars "Unsafe" and 3 of them as unfinished!    :violent1:

You can say my playing sucks, but don't insult my geetars!

I'm with you on not refinishing.   I think a green semi looks good, especially with gold hardware and binding around the headstock.   I'd play that thing anyday without giving it a second thought.    Too many people worry about what the other guys think about their gear.   I only worry about what I like.  If they like it too, that's fine.

I mean, who else would play one of these?   (Yup, those are palm trees and dolphins!)

2024118764_KeyLargo.jpg.e24cb5404789dbdbb529f1bdea49eadf.jpg

30 minutes ago, TalismanRich said:

Ok Hangar,  gloves are off.   You just called 4 of my guitars "Unsafe" and 3 of them as unfinished!    :violent1:

You can say my playing sucks, but don't insult my geetars!

I'm with you on not refinishing.   I think a green semi looks good, especially with gold hardware and binding around the headstock.   I'd play that thing anyday without giving it a second thought.    Too many people worry about what the other guys think about their gear.   I only worry about what I like.  If they like it too, that's fine.

I mean, who else would play one of these?   (Yup, those are palm trees and dolphins!)

2024118764_KeyLargo.jpg.e24cb5404789dbdbb529f1bdea49eadf.jpg

Here are some of my unsafe guitar finishes for the used resale market.

PRS-2016-594-RiverBlue_2764.jpg

PRS-2016-594-RiverBlue_2770.jpg

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

Violet Purple isn't very safe either.
PRS-2016_McCarty594VioletPurple.jpg

I also have a Natural finish (which is a finish I'm not crazy about) but it sounds fantastic!

Gibson-2019_Flying-V.jpg

19 minutes ago, kennyv4 said:

PSR has some great colors.

PRS also has a couple of colors that I really can't stand. I dislike these colors so much that I would refuse to buy the guitar on that detail alone.

1. Trampas Green (I call it Tramp Ass Green)

2. Faded Whale Blue

On 10/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, HANGAR18 said:

Yep, this came out horribly.... B)

H140 H155 (2).JPG

On 10/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, goSteelers said:

+1: Short version...yes.

18 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Yep, this came out horribly.... B)

H140 H155 (2).JPG

I just realized, this is a recent shot.

I see a painted guitar and wonder what defect/wood filler they're trying to hide.

The guitar above was a clownburst, IIRC.  I am enamored with the wood grain, curl and mineral streaks that are exposed to the world.

I wont buy guitars in colours and finishes I dont like regardless of how great the guitar is. There are so many great guitars out there in every colour that you can be quite choosy about details like that, unless its vintage or production numbers were low of a specific model, or something like that.

What surprises me is the guitar colours people like. Nothing is off limits.

• 3 weeks later...

I would only say that if you get a better price because the colour is not massively "attractive "then that squares the deal off nicely.  I actually have a gold guitar in my collection which kind of feels super ugly but every now and then it catches my eye I think jeeze that's just beautiful.  Its almost like we are conditioned to think in a certain way. 

Archived