Heritage Owners Club

Schaller pickups?

friendofjaco

Pickup question. Does anybody know of improvements to make the schaller's sound a little sweeter and warmer? Especially when adding even slight breakup/overdrive. I've experimented with height adjustment but nothing else. They sound great on the neck pup totally clean but there is a small window of greatness. I'd rather not hassle with buying other pickups but I may have to. The guitar is H-516, a really awesome player IMO. 

Thanks

you'll find plenty of Schaller appeal on this site.  They are definitely good sounding pickups to my ear, and very reliable.  I really like them, and (like you) wanted to keep them, but have ended up swapping out in every guitar in the end.  Your statement, "but there is a small window of greatness" is spot on.  When you are in that spot, they are as good or close to more coveted pickups.   However, I've never been sorry for upgrading.  Maybe it is somewhat in my head (I'll confess to that possibility), but pretty sure it is in my ears too.  

If you've already tried raising or lowering the pickups, but still don't like certain sonic aspects of your Schallers, you might consider a magnet swap.  Not sure what magnets are in your pickups, but according to the experts (not me!), AlNico II's may be the answer to your search.  

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/tinkering-with-pickups-102-the-humbucker-magnet-swap

from HOC member PunkKitty via HOC member DetroitBlues in another thread....

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

PunkKitty is out of the country but felt this bit of information will prevent others from making the same mistakes as her...

”A question came up on the HOC site about magnet swaps with a Schaller pickups. I tried it and ended up destroying the pickup. Schallers use a proprietary size A5 magnet that is glued in place. I've done many magnet swaps on standard humbuckers with no problems. Schallers are difficult to work on. “

Good info for those interested in making HRWs out of their Schaller pickups.

6 hours ago, friendofjaco said:

Thanks tsp17

I think I will not mess around with that! I may pull them out and put some Duncan's in there.

I like the Schallers but a used 137 custom I own had Lollar Imperials in it.  Check those out.  Killer pups.

3 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

I like the Schallers but a used 137 custom I own had Lollar Imperials in it.  Check those out.  Killer pups.

+1.  can't go wrong with Lollar Imperials.  I have them in my 550.  Great pups.  I have Seth Lovers in my H150.  Also great.  Plenty to choose from.  Have fun deciding.  

Yeah, I've thought about the Lollar's. Pretty pricey but probably worth it. I'm also considering testing the waters on trading her for a nice H-535! 

Please talk me out of it!

h516.jpg

I would not trade in that guitar.  The H-535 is a totally different sounding guitar and I'd bet you will regret trading in your guitar.  Change out the pickups and keep the old ones.  A couple of years ago I faced a similar decision.  Change pickups and a few other things or trade my H-535 plus some cash for a new H-535 with Seth Lover pickups.  I did the trade and don't regret it.  Difference being I traded for the same model guitar.  IMO, keep the 516.

You own a very special and rare guitar.  H-516's were the forerunner of the later, Kenny Burrell Groove Master.  Personally, I much prefer the 516.  Didn't yours have EMG's a one point?  IIRC, it was for sale at Wolfe or Reverb.  (see image)

image.thumb.png.564b2c4ec67b9ad4688d24e7291f79f2.png

Swap the pickups, change the wiring, polish the guitar, etc.  But don't sell it.  You'll regret it.

13 minutes ago, Gitfiddler said:

You own a very special and rare guitar.  H-516's were the forerunner of the later, Kenny Burrell Groove Master.  Personally, I much prefer the 516.  Didn't yours have EMG's a one point?  IIRC, it was for sale at Wolfe or Reverb.  (see image)

image.thumb.png.564b2c4ec67b9ad4688d24e7291f79f2.png

Swap the pickups, change the wiring, polish the guitar, etc.  But don't sell it.  You'll regret it.

This.  

That sure looks like mine. I got it off of Reverb from Wolfe but it already had the Schaller's. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic player in my opinion. I've just been wanting a 535 for a long time as well...

I have a Seth that came out of the neck of my Guild x-150 (profile pic). Would that pair well or horrendous if I left the other Schaller in the bridge position? Always trying to save a buck! Lol

18 hours ago, friendofjaco said:

That sure looks like mine. I got it off of Reverb from Wolfe but it already had the Schaller's. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic player in my opinion. I've just been wanting a 535 for a long time as well...

I say its worth a lot more than a 535.  If you were to bling it up, look for a 555.  

If I want to swap an alnico II into my schaller's where do I buy the magnets? Do they have to be specific to these pickups or any standard humbucker A2 mag will fit? Sorry, kinda moron question Lol 

2 hours ago, friendofjaco said:

If I want to swap an alnico II into my schaller's where do I buy the magnets? Do they have to be specific to these pickups or any standard humbucker A2 mag will fit? Sorry, kinda moron question Lol 

Please see the comment above regarding swapping magnets. 

Schaller uses a proprietary Alnico V magnet. It's specific to that pickup. A standard magnet will not fit in it. Also, the magnet is glued into place. I destroyed a Schaller pickup trying to swap magnets, and I have a LOT of experience swapping magnets.

If you don't like the Schallers as is, buy a new set of pickups and sell the Schallers.

As for the comment about making HRW's out of Schallers above, I don't know what Ren did to modify the Schallers. It's a secret that he is taking with him to his grave (and hopefully not soon). Whenever I tried to talk to him about it, he got real quiet and walked away. At this point, I just accept that it is some sort of magic that cannot be duplicated.

Beautiful guitar!!

IMO the easiest way to make Schallers sound a little sweeter and warmer, is to swap them out

I would try that Seth Lover in there ASAP. some of my fave pups

much easier than messing with magnets etc

Thanks again for the responses. I was planning to take it to someone to do the magnets swaps for me. So are we saying a good guitar tech might also have a hard time getting the right A2 magnet fir it?

21 hours ago, friendofjaco said:

Thanks again for the responses. I was planning to take it to someone to do the magnets swaps for me. So are we saying a good guitar tech might also have a hard time getting the right A2 magnet fir it?

Yes. The magnets will need to be custom cut. A guitar tech usually isn't equipped to do that. It will likely cost more than replacing the pickups.

PK,I sort of got a kick out of you suggesting that he sell the Schallers.

I have about six sets. Any takers?

Rich Severson compares Scallers and Seth Lovers in Heritage guitars here:

https://youtu.be/9mURVofPTnY

I read through the comments on the video... some preferred the Schallers and some preferred the Seth Lovers.

Worth a listen before swapping.

The schallers sound good playing clean jazz tone. Quite exceptional actually. But once you start overdriving an amp, not so good. I have a Seth for the neck. But I need to get something for the bridge. Maybe another Seth? Awesome playing guitar though

Archived