Heritage Owners Club

Schaller pickups?

friendofjaco

I think you hit the nail on the head there,  FoJ.    The Schallers have more bottom end and top end,   which become mud and glare when you hit the overdrive.   When you're playing clean,  they just give it a wider overall response.    That leaves the impression of a scooped midrange to me.

Since most blues/rock players use OD,  the more midrange focused pickups are a better choice. 

That makes sense to me as I never liked the Schaller's in any guitar that i was going to play cranked up, which is most of them. They never sounded right in my H-150 or 535 that I tended to use for playing gain-ier type of stuff. I didn't mind them in the video in a 575. I have Seth's in my H-576 and like them but when I bought it it had these kind of weird alumitones (which look kind of cool but sound kind of strange.......) in it that I didn't care for the sound of. If it had Schaller's I might have left them in.

I made a quick iPhone video of the schaller neck pickup tone in this guitar  just noodling on a blues. Please ignore constipation guitar face! ? not sure why I stopped on the iv chord. Thought it was getting too long to upload I guess.

https://youtu.be/eepkiTE_IbA

23 hours ago, friendofjaco said:

Thanks. I'm not sure how you get it to post the video to appear right in the post!

The trick is to use the real Youtube.com  link, not the shortcut Youtu.be link.   The board software seems the Youtube link and pastes the video.

Archived