Heritage Owners Club

What strings for H535?

ficecone

11's or 12's D'Addario Chromes.  I use my full hollow H525 for jazzy stuff. 

It came with 11 round wounds and sounded great, so put on whatever you prefer.  Very versatile guitar.

Your title says H535, which is a different beast...semi-hollow.  Again, put on whatever you like...10's 11's roundwounds are most common.

I've settled on D'Addario XL 11-49 for guitars with 24 3/4" scale length (Heritage 535, 150 and Gibson Les Paul, 335), while for 25 1/2" scale length (Fenders etc.) I use 10-46. I find this gives a similar feel with the tension. As for the brand, I probably got a good deal buying a D'Addario multipack years ago and just stuck with them...

I know Thomastiks  are expensive, but they really last a long time between changes and sound great.  I can go months without needing a change, so for those who hate changing strings (I saw there were a lot of you in another thread dedicated to that topic) they might be a good option.  I've taken to using their jazz strings even on my H150.  Round wounds for a brighter sound for rock, funk, R&B, etc., and flats for a darker sound on arch tops.   They have more rock/blues types strings too.  

I use Ken Smith gtr strings

he's one of the few that packages strings so if you pull one out of a fresh pack, to replace a broken string, you can still see what the guage's of the rest of them are!

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Strings/

I have a whole bunch of random strings from D'addario, Ernie Ball, etc that are leftovers from "broken string pulls" and since none of them are labelled I don't know WTF they are

pain in the ass. one of these days I'll get some calipers & sort them out

I used to use D'Addario EXL110s on most of my electrics, 10-46, with an occasional change to a pure nickel or a set of EB Slinkys.     Over the past two years,   I've moved to 9-42s except for my 525 which still has 11s on it.    Right now, I've got a box of ELixer 9-42s to use the next time I change strings.   It was a deal at Sweetwater the last time I was in there (after PSP).    I've also got a couple of Hybrid Slinkys that I might put on the 535.   Its 9-46, so it would be an intermediate.

Which ever model of guitar it is, you really should try some different string sets to find out what you like.  All the brands suggested here are good but they all feel a little different and string gauge is going to make a lot of difference.  It will cost more in the short run and you'll be changing strings quite a bit for a while, but worth it when you find what works and then you can worry about getting your money's worth out of every set you put on.  To answer the question, I use D'Addario 11's, EXL 115 or 116, on my 535 and 12's, EJ21 on my arch tops, which is what I would probably put on a 525 if I had one.  And I wouldn't mind having one at all.

1 hour ago, Vanschoyck said:

Which ever model of guitar it is, you really should try some different string sets to find out what you like.  All the brands suggested here are good but they all feel a little different and string gauge is going to make a lot of difference.  It will cost more in the short run and you'll be changing strings quite a bit for a while, but worth it when you find what works and then you can worry about getting your money's worth out of every set you put on.  To answer the question, I use D'Addario 11's, EXL 115 or 116, on my 535 and 12's, EJ21 on my arch tops, which is what I would probably put on a 525 if I had one.  And I wouldn't mind having one at all.

I totally agree with this. I took me about 5 sets of strings to find out what gauge, type, and brand of string to use on my new Gretsch guitar. Many times the gauge may be bigger but the core of the string has a lighter flexibility. I actually had to go up to a higher string gauge with a set of Pyramid strings to find one that had the lower tension I liked compared to other strings I tried of lower gauge. And the different metals used react different with the pickup types on each guitars. My Gretsch has DeArmonds and they are a whole 'nutha beast than a typical humbucker when trying to dial in sound.

The string set that I wound up for on my Gretsch hollows (6120T 55 VS, and  6118T Double Annie) is...   Pyramid Gold Chrome-Nickel Flat Wound Round Core 12-52

On my Gibson scale length humbucker guitars and my Zemaitis guitars (25" scale)... I use Pyramid Maximum Vintage 10-48

On my Fenders I use Ernie Ball regular slinky 10-46

1 hour ago, Vanschoyck said:

definitely!!!! Well said Vanschoyck!

5 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

How does the feel or sound change when using Flatwounds?  I've never tried them, really don't think I'd use them, but they are intriguing nonetheless.

Smooth top end, less aggressive attack. The feel is great when they are polished right. My favorite for feel is Thomastik flats as they are silky smooth, but for the gauge that I like I went with Pyramids. The reason the gauge is important to me is that I switch between my Gretsch and an acoustic on stage and drastic differences in gauge make it hard for me to fingerpick where I count on the string to provide a certain amount of resistance. These strings are expensive but they seem to last forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have d'addario 10s roundwound strings on my 535. With the thick end of my pick these produce hefty thunk. I've not tried flatwound yet on this guitar. But the thunk is something I like to hear. In fact it was hearing Shawn Purcell with his 535 that alerted me to the thunk quotient of a 535

Archived