Heritage Owners Club

DR Z MAZ Jr

ElNumero

Anyone know much about these? My buddy's guitar shop has one on the  floor in mint shape for $1200. I could trade something plus cash for this amp, but first I need to know more about it. All my web searches turned up info on the MAZ MKII and not the Jr. 

thanks

Check out Ztalk.com

Lots of good info on the various models.  Seems to be a good group of folks, much like you find here.

The amps are lauded as good sounds at a good price.

The Maz Jr. is one of Doc's best selling amps for a reason.  It is kind of a Swiss-Army knife.  It's got some Marshall in it, some Vox chime, and Fender cleans depending on how you set the amp and what type of guitar you are using. The Maz Jr. was the base for Maz MkII.  It is a Maz Jr. updated with some tweaks for reverb (if you have the reverb version), some minor tone changes.  Is the amp a head or combo?  The $1,200 would be on the high-side for a NR head, not a bad price for the NR combo.  For reverb you can add $100-200.

Doc builds his amp like tanks - so a used one is a real deal.  You can always send in the amp to Z for MkII updates for a reasonable fee.

What's the story about the different generations of those amps? @Jaguarguy Something about the original owner selling the company and amps being made overseas and not having  the same quality or something like that. A guitar buddy of mine was trying to tell me this lengthy history lesson but it was too much for my brain to retain.

Maybe I'm getting this brand confused with Egnater.

1 hour ago, HANGAR18 said:

What's the story about the different generations of those amps? @Jaguarguy Something about the original owner selling the company and amps being made overseas and not having  the same quality or something like that. A guitar buddy of mine was trying to tell me this lengthy history lesson but it was too much for my brain to retain.

Maybe I'm getting this brand confused with Egnater.

yes you are DR Z is pure American

Dr. Z Amps is one of the only companies where when you call the factory there is a good chance Doc himself will answer.  All his amps are handmade/hand wired in Cleveland, Ohio.  Great service.  I purchased an amp last week that was severely damaged in shipping.  I sent some pics to Z amps asking if it was worth fixing the amp (it was made for Joe Walsh as a back-up amp for the Hell Freezes Over tour).  Doc's top repair guy responded and said that despite the historical aspect of the amp, it wasn't worth doing the work.  Two days later Doc called me personally to tell me why it couldn't be repaired.  Now that's service!!

BTW - the MkII is an updated Maz Jr.  - just the next generation Maz.  I have Maz 18 NR Jr. #001 - it's not going anywhere.

Archived