Heritage Owners Club

The Future Heritage of Heritage Guitars

Gitfiddler

Anyone remember those crazy, beautiful custom Heritage guitars appearing on a regular basis here on the HOC pages?  Custom orders for just about anything you could dream up (within reason), could be had, as long as it was based on one of the core design...and for a relatively good price.  Even the special limited edition, anniversary and other custom models were always a special treat for us fans of the marque.

Man, how I miss those days!  These days, seeing a custom Heritage pop up for sale on the used market is a truly big deal to some of us.  I still keep an eye out for unique old custom Heritage guitars, even though I'm GAS free.  (Repeat that 10 times until you truly believe it!)  Its just fun to see the work product of the original master luthiers at Heritage.

With limited production of a limited selection of guitar models coming out of the Heritage factory these days, I miss the former custom creations...even the odd one-offs and special runs.

Will the future heritage of Heritage Guitars include any of the original limited editions and custom models?  Will the new owners look back into their own 'Wayback Machine' and re-create some of the factory's former custom models?  Or will they be forgotten as time marches on?  Your thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pressure said:

They still make custom builds at the same address by some of the same people. Pete Farmer was making custom builds at Heritage long before the company was sold, he still is. My opinion, I think Heritage guitars are better than ever.

You have to evolve, and seems like the new blood at Heritage is pushing them in the right direction, which I feel is consistent quality. Just one look at the photos of the much cleaner shop impressed me quite a bit! If people support the new guard who knows what they will be able to do. And y our last custom build looked GREAT!

4 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Anyone remember those crazy, beautiful custom Heritage guitars appearing on a regular basis here on the HOC pages?  Custom orders for just about anything you could dream up (within reason), could be had, as long as it was based on one of the core design...and for a relatively good price.  Even the special limited edition, anniversary and other custom models were always a special treat for us fans of the marque.

Man, how I miss those days!  These days, seeing a custom Heritage pop up for sale on the used market is a truly big deal to some of us.  I still keep an eye out for unique old custom Heritage guitars, even though I'm GAS free.  (Repeat that 10 times until you truly believe it!)  Its just fun to see the work product of the original master luthiers at Heritage.

With limited production of a limited selection of guitar models coming out of the Heritage factory these days, I miss the former custom creations...even the odd one-offs and special runs.

Will the future heritage of Heritage Guitars include any of the original limited editions and custom models?  Will the new owners look back into their own 'Wayback Machine' and re-create some of the factory's former custom models?  Or will they be forgotten as time marches on?  Your thoughts?

Unfortunately, it won't ever be the way it was. As flawed as it was, I miss the old days a whole lot. Although I see "H" as a more corporate entity, they are making some spectacular guitars. Too bad the pricing structure and go the way it has, but I suppose that's the price of business. We had a good run though, didn't we. Again, the new stuff is of stellar quality. Great guitars, but it doesn't feel like home to me.

Let's get real.....The cost of the new era custom shop stuff is outrageously expensive!

Even the standard production prices seem to be outside of what folks around here are willing to spend....I mean have ANY of the longtime HOC cats gone out and bought a new era Heritage yet?  

Anyone

1 minute ago, Polo said:
Let's get real.....The cost of the new era custom shop stuff is outrageously expensive!

Even the standard production prices seem to be outside of what folks around here are willing to spend....I mean have ANY of the longtime HOC cats gone out and bought a new era Heritage yet?  

Anyone

No, I picked up my 3 month old slightly used '19 H-535 for just over half the price of new.

1 hour ago, Gitfiddler said:

Anyone remember those crazy, beautiful custom....

Long Gone bro! The company is into production, profit and has way more operation expenses with the multi levels of staffing. They are no longer  a Pops, Pops operation!
I recognized the Gibson business plan with the intro of the Meng Dynasty... Standardized models, limited colors, standardized parts and components etc. Streamlined processes also.
Yes they are technically putting out a better product mainly because of hyper focus on cutting timelines and increasing efficiency. It is nice they brought in a PLEK.  

1 hour ago, davesultra said:

No, I picked up my 3 month old slightly used '19 H-535 for just over half the price of new.

Ah-yes, the age old Heritage "Resale Paradox". That's a tough one to ignore at any level of quality....kind of like those headstocks! 

I kid, I kid. ?

Congratulations on what I'm sure is a killer guitar!

1 hour ago, Millennium Maestro said:

Long Gone bro! The company is into production, profit and has way more operation expenses with the multi levels of staffing. They are no longer  a Pops, Pops operation!
I recognized the Gibson business plan with the intro of the Meng Dynasty... Standardized models, limited colors, standardized parts and components etc. Streamlined processes also.
Yes they are technically putting out a better product mainly because of hyper focus on cutting timelines and increasing efficiency. It is nice they brought in a PLEK.  

Yup. This is why I no longer have an emotional attachment to the brand. They’re just really nicely made guitars. 

Oh I get it that the 'good old days' of relatively inexpensive customized Heritages are gone.  What is confusing to me is that the Heritage Custom Shop shows samples of custom models one can order.  (see below)

So, it begs the question about other models that may be available that are not listed (e.g. Prospect, H525, etc.)

image.png.0eacb7515ba22f4b7223f24dc5c12260.pngimage.png.500cb923a7083afed605eeba95f48026.png

3 hours ago, Polo said:

Anyone

Yes.  I had to...  plek or not, it still required professional hands on.  That is, if you want a guitar intoned.

1 hour ago, davesultra said:

Yup. This is why I no longer have an emotional attachment to the brand. They’re just really nicely made guitars. 

+1

Customs are still being made through Pete Farmer. I’ve seen some real sweet ones on trips over there. 

We all know the price point is considerably higher on Customs. I would venture to say 95% of the people on this forum will not be ordering a Custom guitar from Heritage now or never. I haven’t seen many new Heritage Standard Guitars here lately. 

I ordered a lot of Sweet Customs from the old guard for myself and customers. That is what I enjoyed the most. Working with the customers on their dream build and wrestling with the factory to get it right. I did a lot of wrestling!

I just don’t see them bringing back any of the old models with their mindset now.

Of course cash is King and anything can be bought.........anything.

Its funny that people used to complain that they couldn't buy a Heritage because they didn't sell through places like GC, MF or Sweetwater.   They simply didn't have the staff and facility to crank out the numbers that it would take to supply those places, especially with the broad catalog they had.   Plus the largest number of models were archtops which aren't the biggest sellers.

I've said this before, but I think that Marv, Jim and the rest of the old staff just loved making those nice archtops.   They take more effort and time than cranking out a 137 slab or even a 150.  The company HAS TO MAKE A PROFIT, or it wouldn't exist.   Otherwise its an expensive hobby for somebody.    So they have limited the line,  updated the distribution channel, and concentrated on putting out a more consistent, and still high quality guitar.    I think its a good path.   

As for the prices rising,  I don't think they are outrageous.  I look at Heritage in a similar light to folks like Anderson,  Suhr,  Collins.   A Suhr or Anderson strat will cost you $2500-3000.   I haven't bought anything simply because I've got all the bases pretty well covered with the ones I have.   Likewise for amps.   I keep looking at Ceriatone OTS and HRM amps, but I REALLY don't need one.   I've got a half dozen amps and I can find a sound I like from one of them.   

I prefer the path they are on to the one that Heritage Amplification went down,  or Hamer,  or Parker,  or Robin.

7 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

Its funny that people used to complain that they couldn't buy a Heritage because they didn't sell through places like GC, MF or Sweetwater.   They simply didn't have the staff and facility to crank out the numbers that it would take to supply those places, especially with the broad catalog they had.   Plus the largest number of models were archtops which aren't the biggest sellers.

I've said this before, but I think that Marv, Jim and the rest of the old staff just loved making those nice archtops.   They take more effort and time than cranking out a 137 slab or even a 150.  The company HAS TO MAKE A PROFIT, or it wouldn't exist.   Otherwise its an expensive hobby for somebody.    So they have limited the line,  updated the distribution channel, and concentrated on putting out a more consistent, and still high quality guitar.    I think its a good path.   

As for the prices rising,  I don't think they are outrageous.  I look at Heritage in a similar light to folks like Anderson,  Suhr,  Collins.   A Suhr or Anderson strat will cost you $2500-3000.   I haven't bought anything simply because I've got all the bases pretty well covered with the ones I have.   Likewise for amps.   I keep looking at Ceriatone OTS and HRM amps, but I REALLY don't need one.   I've got a half dozen amps and I can find a sound I like from one of them.   

I prefer the path they are on to the one that Heritage Amplification went down,  or Hamer,  or Parker,  or Robin.

well said!! hear, hear

1 hour ago, pressure said:

I remember back in the 20th century (1964), ground meat tacos were ¢15 each, steak tacos were ¢25 each, crazy money for a taco right. Who would buy those? But people did buy them because they were worth it.

True, and I was really upset when McDonald's got all uppity and increased their prices!  So I guess Heritage can raise their prices...as long as they let me 'super-size' my order.image.thumb.png.bc7a5984dc0f33fb87bf697b363ab1f9.png  

16 minutes ago, myoldfriend said:

Twenty five cent tacos?!  We were so poor I once had to walk three miles in the snow just to fetch a block of ice! ?

I was so poor that I couldn't buy half interest in a free lunch.

I was lucky to get a custom build when the company was still in transition. It was still affordable. Unfortunately something got screwed up ether on the order or at the factory and I didn't receive what I ordered. It was a partial blessing as I ordered a Prospect with a solid block and I got the standard floating block. I actually like that. But the neck isn't a 60s style like I ordered so I find it hard to play for a whole gig. It was my 50th birthday present to myself and I sold a nice 335 to get it. That was my one time shot at a custom made guitar for myself. I was thinking of selling my 336 and ordering one with  60's style neck but at this point it's way to expensive. So my opinion of Heritage guitars isn't as enthusiastic as it used to be. 

I understand what and why the company is doing things like they are. The days of getting a quality hand made guitar for a crazy good price is over. I'm glad I got mine when I did. 

Salute to the old Heritage guys.   

p

19 hours ago, pressure said:

I remember back in the 20th century (1964), ground meat tacos were ¢15 each, steak tacos were ¢25 each, crazy money for a taco right. Who would buy those? But people did buy them because they were worth it.

But who wants to buy a vintage 1964 taco?

I look at all the Heritage guitars that I bought and think about what I paid for them.  I realize that pretty much all of them were extreme bargains when I bought them.  My first 150 with a fantastic flame top was $1K.  Many were less than that.  Only the big archtop was a lot more.  

I don't feel like getting rid of any of them , so I have plenty of Heritages already. No shortage of guitars to play at this point.

But I have to admit the new Dirty Lemon H-150's really call out to me.  They nailed that finish. 

17 minutes ago, FredZepp said:

I look at all the Heritage guitars that I bought and think about what I paid for them.  I realize that pretty much all of them were extreme bargains when I bought them.  My first 150 with a fantastic flame top was $1K.  Many were less than that.  Only the big archtop was a lot more.  

I don't feel like getting rid of any of them , so I have plenty of Heritages already. No shortage of guitars to play at this point.

But I have to admit the new Dirty Lemon H-150's really call out to me.  They nailed that finish. 

Like you, I paid next to nothing for my first two heritages H150s used and that's what attracted me to the brand. Both guitars were under $1400. That's why I didn't mind replacing the things I didn't like, as in the Nashville bridge and heavy tailpiece, along with fixing the flaws they came with such as badly cut nut and sloppy fretwork. But the last Heritage I bought (and still have), I paid $2100 and all those screwups pissed me off a bit. The label on the inside listed the wrong pickups (the pickups were Pearly Gates, the label said Seth Lovers), the nut was cut bad, fretwork needed, no adjustment wrench (which Tonepros says you should use), with the bridge. That's why I applaud the new guard as it seems they are paying attention to making sure the guitars go out right. And they are not selling them for much more than I paid for mine. I bought mine from Jay Wolfe and he discounted it for a cash deal so I'm sure you could get one for cheaper than he lists online with a little haggle.

Archived