Heritage Owners Club

Locking tuners on H-150

BOTR

Hi all,

recently I was lucky buying a 1996 H-150. I now decided that I would like to have locking tuners instead of the standard Grover tuners.

Not so much that I doubt the tuning stability of the current ones but I simply do not want to give a perfect string winding a thought when changing strings.

By internet research I found the Grover Rotogrip 502C or Schaller M6 135 to be pretty renowned.

I am playing 10-46 strings and as I understood, the Grovers are said not to be too suitable for this moderate thick strings.

Can anyone give me experiences or recommendations ?

I rather spend a bit more money to have the best solution than go with second best (and yes, I know...some may think I should rather learn to wind strings accurately).

Thanks for your help.

With a properly cut nut, standard Grovers really work just fine. However if you prefer the locking style, I’d go with the locking Grovers as they’ll be a drop-in replacement, and won’t require drilling extra holes. I’ve used them and they do work great, and I use 10-46 (I wouldn’t consider that gauge thick).  Don’t have much experience with the Schallers, but I do remember Heritage did on occasion use Schallers as OEM.

I think you have to get way thicker than a .046 before you have trouble with any locking tuners. On my 7-string, regular Sperzels will handle anything up to about .057 on the low B with no trouble. Sperzel now makes a special 7-string set to handle low B strings thicker than that.

Keep in mind that the Schallers (my favorite locking tuners) might not be a direct retrofit for Grovers. If I recall, the mounting screw holes are in different places.

• 2 months later...

Archived