Heritage Owners Club

Doyle Coils

rwinking

Anyone seen these? I did find it somewhat paradoxical that by wanting to create vintage sounding pickups they had to change the sound of the vintage sounding pick ups.

http://www.doylecoils.com/

So you got the wiring harness too? I’ll bet they are nice. Do they do what they say as far as cleaning up the muddy low end?

I don't know if the low end is less muddy, less muddy than what? Every guitar is different, every install is different and every finished guitar winds up different. You never know what the final result will be until your custom guitar is finished and then the guitar has to settle in for about 2 years. I have different pickups in every Heritage guitar I am taking care of and they all sound Fab. The only notable exception is the ThroBak bridge pickup on the H150 Gold Top I bought from Kuz. That pickup is exceptionally sweet.

The claim of the Doyle coils is less low end mud than regular PAF's. I always thought that it was part of the sought after PAF sound and never saw it as problematic or mud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never really thought any PAF type pickup was muddy. The mud is usually associated with higher impedance pickups not PAF types. My experience with Lollar, Tyson Tonelab and Throwbak pickups is about the same on the way they cleanup with a volume roll back. I have everything with 50s wiring and I use the same RS guitar works Pots in all my guitars. When I roll the volume down a little there is a small amount of high end loss but by the time I’m rolled off to 5 on the dial that is gone and it is very clear and clean. I have the same experience with p90s and Humbuckers. 

A2s can sound a little dark in the neck pup, especially if they are overwound & higher output.

But personally, I love low output A2 humbuckers, and they are the only humbuckers I want in my solidbody guitars in both the neck & bridge positions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 4:14 PM, Kuz said:

A2s can sound a little dark in the neck pup, especially if they are overwound & higher output.

But personally, I love low output A2 humbuckers, and they are the only humbuckers I want in my solidbody guitars in both the neck & bridge positions.

I find the same with A2s in the neck. I like A4s there.

Archived