Heritage Owners Club

Effects Sequence

MichYank

I usually don't use too many effects pedals so I have a question about what to put where.

I have a MXR 6 band equalizer, should this be one of my last effects in the chain?  Also, where would my Ditto Looper go in relation to the MXR EQ?

Probably a dumb question, but thanks in advance.

Being a long, long way from expert in these matters, my experience with these two types of pedals is to place them first and last.    

Guitar---------->EQ--->other stuff-->Looper--------->amp

If you have a tuner pedal, it would come first, then the EQ.

Bear in mind, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for this.

Sounds about right.

Depending on the type of amp you have, this is what I usually do:

Amp with Effects Loop:

Guitar >> Tuner >> Wah >> Boost >> Overdrive >> Distortion >> into front of amp

Effects Loop order: Noise Gate >> Delay >> Chorus >> Flanger >> Phaser >> Reverb >> Looper.

Amp w/ no effects loop:

Guitar >>Tuner >> Noise Gate>>Wah >>Delay >> Chorus >> Flanger >> Phaser >> Reverb >>  Boost >> Overdrive >> Distortion >> Looper.

Now I'm experimenting with the dirt pedals based upon a JHS video.  I have not tried my Fuzz before the Wah (Hendrix Style), but I might.

19 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Sounds about right.

Depending on the type of amp you have, this is what I usually do:

Amp with Effects Loop:

Guitar >> Tuner >> Wah >> Boost >> Overdrive >> Distortion >> into front of amp

Effects Loop order: Noise Gate >> Delay >> Chorus >> Flanger >> Phaser >> Reverb >> Looper.

Amp w/ no effects loop:

Guitar >>Tuner >> Noise Gate>>Wah >>Delay >> Chorus >> Flanger >> Phaser >> Reverb >>  Boost >> Overdrive >> Distortion >> Looper.

Now I'm experimenting with the dirt pedals based upon a JHS video.  I have not tried my Fuzz before the Wah (Hendrix Style), but I might.

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I'd have the delay after the modulation effects (chorus etc.) and before the reverb, and overdrive/distortion before the modulation/delay/reverb in the no-effects-loop situation. As ever, experiment with the order of the pedals and use what sounds good to you!

The Ditto Looper is a great little pedal, very useful for laying down chord sequences and noodling away over the top.?

I use NU>X Loop Core Deluxe (new) at end the of the chain

my current OD list (not in order):

• Lumpy's Liquid Lead v1
  • VDL L'Overdrive
  • JRAD The Dude v1
  • Ethos TWE-1
  • Lovepdeal Eternity Burst
  • Lovepedal Les Lius
  • Russian Custom Muff(D'Errico boutique, new)

the CostaLab EchoLab analog Delay(new) is always at the end and before the looper, the Catalinbread Talisman plate Reverb(new) is just before the delay

all pedals always in front, no FX s/r (but if I'd do then only mods in the fx-loop)
all used pedals where not otherwise indicated

interesting is using the JAMPedals Waterfall Chorus or VDL Vibes between two OD stages, example:

Guitar -> VDL L'Overdrive -> The Dude v1 -> VDL Vibes -> Waterfall -> TWE-1 -> Eternity Burst, using alternate one OD before and one after the chorus/vibes is giving me lots of interesting tones

the Lumpy's Liquid Lead always at the end of all ODs, sometimes I put it between Talisman and Echolab and it's absolutely Rock Jolly Devil (amazing)
interesting is the usage of The Dude v1 as a clean boost after an OD too

...so much to say ?
never give up playing

16 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I'd have the delay after the modulation effects (chorus etc.) and before the reverb, and overdrive/distortion before the modulation/delay/reverb in the no-effects-loop situation. As ever, experiment with the order of the pedals and use what sounds good to you!

The Ditto Looper is a great little pedal, very useful for laying down chord sequences and noodling away over the top.?

Ah, it’s been so long since I had a regular amp... you are correct.  Modulation after dirt....

On 11/16/2019 at 4:33 AM, bobmeyrick said:

This +1

Archived