Heritage Owners Club

In praise of the 535

Cajun2

Hello all, 

I recently had a chance to get a REALLY good deal on a Collings I-35LC. I have heard nothing but good things about Collings guitars. I met the seller and checked it out, but even though it was certainly a nice guitar and was in excellent condition, I passed on it. I have had several 535s, and didn't see it as being any better. Similarly - I had tried a Gibson ES-339 Custom Shop - but thought the 535s were better. I am in no way bashing the Gibson or Collings guitars - so no offense if any of you have them. I am just saying that in my humble opinion - the Heritage is at least as good as either, and priced way below. I am not questioning the quality of Collings guitars at all since I have only played one  - just interested in other opinions out there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Cajun2 said:

Hello all, 

I recently had a chance to get a REALLY good deal on a Collings I-35LC. I have heard nothing but good things about Collings guitars. I met the seller and checked it out, but even though it was certainly a nice guitar and was in excellent condition, I passed on it. I have had several 535s, and didn't see it as being any better. Similarly - I had tried a Gibson ES-339 Custom Shop - but thought the 535s were better. I am in no way bashing the Gibson or Collings guitars - so no offense if any of you have them. I am just saying that in my humble opinion - the Heritage is at least as good as either, and priced way below. I am not questioning the quality of Collings guitars at all since I have only played one  - just interested in other opinions out there.

I just sent you a PM.

Although I don't own a H535, but  a while back (quite a while) I played some that really floated my boat so to say.  Only problem was that I wasn't in a financial position to buy one, I just started gigging fulltime and I was just trying to stay afloat:) I find semi-hollows of all brands to be hit or miss so I would rather not buy online, and there aren't any Heritage dealers in my area anymore so that makes it tough to try one out. That said, if I run into one that I like I would probably jump. I don't even own a ES335 and most people know that I am a Gibson fan. Fact is I don't own any semi-hollow guitars. I should sell one of my H150s and buy a H535.

They are great guitars.  I've owned one and played several others.  Hard to imagine a better quality or sounding instrument in the H535/G335 vein.   Certainly the best value in a handmade in America guitar in this style.

Forgive me for repeating as I know I've posted this before- Of the few sonic nirvana moments I've been lucky enough to experience,  one was an H535 through a vintage Deluxe.  Unforgettable 

After playing several Collings I35's and SoCo's, the one thing I was left with was just how perfect they were.  The fit and finish, nut slots, set up and the feel was spot on.  Also, most of them I tried had Trobak p'ups, adding an even higher level to these guitars.  None deviated from perfection.  Amazing! 

That said, I do not see myself ever buying a Collings semi hollow.  In my view paying $5k - $7k for any semi hollow is unnecessary.  There are too many 'almost' perfect semi's out there...including H535's and H555's.  I simply love mine.  They're 2007 & 2008 respectively and came to me perfectly set up and Plek'd (by Wolfe).  And yes, the Heritage's have very subtle imperfections here and there, but overall, they play and sound better than anything in their price range.  And even adding Throbaks wouldn't increase the cost anywhere near $5k or $7k.  In that price range, the guitar better be perfect in every way!

I can't compare the Collings to the new Plaza Corp. Heritage 535's, but from what I've read, owners and dealers claim they are the best, most consistent Heritage guitars ever made.  Collings gets their price due to their consistency, very high build standards and top shelf electronics for their entire guitar line.  I wish them well.  But my Heritage's ain't leaving me.

4 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

After playing several Collings I35's and SoCo's, the one thing I was left with was just how perfect they were.  The fit and finish, nut slots, set up and the feel was spot on.  Also, most of them I tried had Trobak p'ups, adding an even higher level to these guitars.  None deviated from perfection.  Amazing! 

indeed, they are always impeccably built and finished.  

1 hour ago, tsp17 said:

indeed, they are always impeccably built and finished.  

Not to "me too", but...

Same here.  Had some serious gas for a Collings 360 (and a 290) but after playing both I felt like I was holding an engineered product; precise and to my senses somewhat sterile.  Bit of an enigma, because of the superior materials, fit and finish.   Don't know if it helps or hurts that I work for a medial device company, but Collings had this "familiarity" that I'm just now connecting the dots with.  Heritage instruments that I've played/own have this intangible, organic feeling that just gels with me.  Listening to Zep's The Rain Song while replying here...  Mmmmmmm.

YMMV-Y'all.

flat.jpg

I never saw one with a trapeze tail (like the one above with the P90s) , I bet that adds a little to the equation.

I have a Gibson 335 and an H535 both are excellent.

The 535 is a little thinner in width.

Someone mentioned not having a local Heritage dealer, remember GC used gear, get one delivered to your local store and try it out for 45 days (assuming it is less than 25 yrs old..then it's "Vintage" with a 3 day window) , no stress returns.

I'd say the 535 is up there with Heritage's best models.

When I decided I wanted to custom order a Heritage for myself, I thought of a few different models... H137, H150, H535, H555, H-155....

I decided on a 535.  

• Lightweight, high fret access.
  • Looks more size appropriate being a fluffy fellow that I am.
  • Most of all, it has the best of both worlds to my ears when covering H150 and H-575 tones.
  • Nice rock tones and a touch of controllable feedback.

All-around, my favorite model.

5 hours ago, Cajun2 said:

Bet that Tweed is amazing!!!

Yes it was.  A P90 loaded 535 though a 50's Tweed Deluxe.  Maybe the most fun I've ever had playing guitar.  It was sublime.  Other-worldly.   They were both for sale in a long-gone local guitar shop.  It was a great place.  They let you play anything in the shop for as long as you wanted in these little lesson/demo rooms that were full of gear.  I took that picture in one of those rooms.     I stayed a while....

7 hours ago, FredZepp said:

I would think that the photo with the trapeze tailpiece is an H-530.  Basically a full hollow version of the H535... no block for the stoptail , hence the trapeze. 

Good eye FZ!.  Might have been.  I didn't think of that.    It played like a dream, and it did feed back.  Controllable, but definitely a factor.  Once I got the levels right I could hover right on the edge of howling and fly.    Was an amazing match between that amp and guitar.   Like they were made for each other.  I don't mean to over-romanticize it, but man, it was very cool.

3 minutes ago, tsp17 said:

Good eye FZ!.  Might have been.  I didn't think of that.    It played like a dream, and it did feed back.  Controllable, but definitely a factor.  Once I got the levels right I could hover right on the edge of howling and fly.    Was an amazing match between that amp and guitar.   Like they were made for each other.  I don't mean to over-romanticize it, but man, it was very cool.

Yeah... I really like the lively aspect of the H-530.  With a warm amp, they really go.  

The floating block on a Prospect does a bit of that too. 

Collings, Gibson and Heritage semi-hollow body guitars are all great guitars.  I have played a few Collings I35's and they are amazing guitars.I own a Gibson ES-335 and several Heritage H-535's.  IMO it's  not necessary to spend the extra money for a Collings or a Gibson when the Heritage guitars look. play and sound just as good as the more expense ones mentioned.  Of course I would purchase a used Collings, if the price was what I would be willing to pay for it.   

Archived