Heritage Owners Club

Solid State Amps..any takers?

Hfan

On 12/16/2019 at 4:12 PM, tulk1 said:

Just to pile in here, altho' I may be a bit late to the game. No real need to mention all the tube amps I've played over the years. But recently I dumped them all for a Quilter Aviator. Got to admit it took a week or so of playing to get used to it. Not unlike my many other amps, or even guitars. Before that, I had used a Mesa TA-15 (oops, mentioned an amp!). I played probably 6 gigs with the Aviator before Tracy (singer, boss) even noticed. And what she noticed was the combo amp as opposed to head/cabinet. Honestly, she has been VERY vocal about the amps I've used thru the years, and this one passed muster with flying colors.

The Quilter Aviator 112 weighs a whopping 26lbs!! Not sure what fairy dust Pat Quilter is using, but he knows how to use it. Don't miss those other amps at all. Except as maybe a nostalgia thang. 

I think Fender took a page from Pat's book.  Their new solid state amps are analog circuitry of their tube amps.  My guess is the technology is very, very close to what Pat has been doing for years.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

I think Fender took a page from Pat's book.  Their new solid state amps are analog circuitry of their tube amps.  My guess is the technology is very, very close to what Pat has been doing for years.

Hmmm, possibly Josh. But if the Mustangs and G-Decs and what not are any example ... well, hopefully they aren't following those paradigms. To be honest, tho', I have not heard any of the new Tone Master amps. However, we all know, whatever science can invent, science can copy. 

On 12/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, tulk1 said:

"However, we all know, whatever science can invent, science can copy. "

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  You can't change physics.  If you want a tube sound get a tube amp.  Heavy as they tend to be.

6 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.  You can't change physics.  If you want a tube sound get a tube amp.  Heavy as they tend to be.

Bird, going to disagree with you. Not on the chicken shit, of course. But I gig a lot. And even my tube snob friends, and my band mates, didn't know my amp was SS. Until I told them. 

18 hours ago, tulk1 said:

Bird, going to disagree with you. Not on the chicken shit, of course. But I gig a lot. And even my tube snob friends, and my band mates, didn't know my amp was SS. Until I told them. 

If I had seen you carrying it I would have known.  ;^)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, tulk1 said:

? Uh, yeah. No doubt!! Guess that just shows no one pays any attention to ME on stage. ?

Last Saturday night a buddy brought over a 30 watt Orange solid state amp.  It sounded great. 

13 hours ago, High Flying Bird said:

Last Saturday night a buddy brought over a 30 watt Orange solid state amp.  It sounded great. 

Not surprising. Seems in the olden day, SS amps would sound great on their own. Put 'em in a band situation and they tended to disappear. Been there, had it happen. But recently, something has changed. Tech most likely. Not familiar with the Orange SS amps. But overall, not surprised it sounded good. 

12 hours ago, tulk1 said:

Not surprising. Seems in the olden day, SS amps would sound great on their own. Put 'em in a band situation and they tended to disappear. Been there, had it happen. But recently, something has changed. Tech most likely. Not familiar with the Orange SS amps. But overall, not surprised it sounded good. 

We had two tube 15 watt amps there playing at about 1/3 power and the 30 watt SS amp held up well. 

Once musicians accept the reality that a tube amp and a solid-state amp are very different in how they operate, they’ll perhaps better understand that each have their own traits and uses. It's all about the tone one chases for a particular music or performance. I have a gig tonight with a dance band. With low volume and many different instruments I will use a solid state amp and not even worry about getting lost in the mix.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:35 AM, Genericmusic said:

Once musicians accept the reality that a tube amp and a solid-state amp are very different in how they operate, they’ll perhaps better understand that each have their own traits and uses. It's all about the tone one chases for a particular music or performance. I have a gig tonight with a dance band. With low volume and many different instruments I will use a solid state amp and not even worry about getting lost in the mix.

Let's hear some Lawrence Welk! Is the accordian player any good?

6 hours ago, ElNumero said:

:laughing4:  Mandolin, banjo, two guitars, four fiddles, and a stand up bass. I sit next to the bass player pretend I am Django Reinheardt.  The band leader yells at me once in a while about adding a stylistic ambiance to old time music. The bass player, the fiddle section, and I just laugh. On a good night we are a formable rhythm section and the dancers love it.   

For the record, I would take a Lawrence Welk gig in a heart beat. If you want to improve your chops play with a big band.

9 hours ago, ElNumero said:

Hey, don't mock Mr. Welk!  He had two badass gitfiddle players in his band back in '66.  Um, my Dad told me about em.  Yea, my Dad. 

Um...OK, truth is... I watched it with him every Saturday night.  Check this out.

2 hours ago, Genericmusic said:

This is very cool. Thanks for posting pressure.

That ones a hybrid. Not a true SS Amp. Sounds pretty darned decent. Especially for a NAMM recording. Good player helps. ?

On 1/1/2020 at 11:33 PM, High Flying Bird said:

I've got a few Orange tube amps as well as there SS Crush 60. It's a great sounding amp. Nice chimey cleans, and the OD keeps up with its bigger brothers.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:09 AM, High Flying Bird said:

But artificial flavors have come a long way to keep us from tasting the difference. 

Besides Chicken Salad and Chicken Shit look about the same and probably taste the same too... ?

I wanna talk accordions. My first accordion was played through a 1965 Ampeg Gemini II amp, had a 15" Jensen speaker in it! I hung on to that amp until around 2002 and sold it, long after the accordion was gone. Still kicking myself. 

32 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

I wanna talk accordions. My first accordion was played through a 1965 Ampeg Gemini II amp, had a 15" Jensen speaker in it! I hung on to that amp until around 2002 and sold it, long after the accordion was gone. Still kicking myself. 

Should have played through a Marshall stack...

Archived